Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. sequins

sequins New Member

DiManno strikes again! Don't talk to her! Frankly I don't see the big deal with what Patrick says(and I guarantee it's been 'altered'. Right Rosie;)). I'd bet the farm he's not alone in his feelings. Again Patrick doesn't choose his words carefully enough, he's not very articulate and he probably needs to shut it for his own good but frankly at this point I don't see it happening but you know what I don't really care. I still like him and I love his skating. So sue me:p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I am with you sequins. Actually, I have grown fonder of him after all the rubbish being thrown at him.:D Or he just reminds me of my own politically incorrect son with the most politically correct wife. :lol: OK, Tess you betcha teach dear Patrick how to use the right words like fat=voluptuous, skinny=slender, ugly looking=so-so looking, stupid=mildly slow etc. etc. :p

3. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Totally agree with sequins and spikey! I'm so tired of all this negativity that I rarely bother to read it or respond. I am kind of puzzled that ANY skater would open their mouth around Hersh or DiManno, but oh well... One thing I do find exciting and exhilarating are the recent interviews that have been popping up, all having some content: particularly Jenny and Dave's TSL podcasts! Also Dave Gordon's, I think n-halifax(?) They're positive and interesting.
    Anyway, Go Patrick at SOI!

4. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Me too. i've given up reading the negative posts entirely, limiting my use FSU to this forum and TV alerts, and hard news. Always nice to meet the ladies here though. I'm going to SOI Toronto, but with a friend who is only a very casual fan, so we are not seated on the ice, and it will be therefore difficult to say hi to you all.

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I hope you all have a wonderful time at CSOI Toronto! I am sure you will:)

I feel so lucky to have met clarie. She is absolutely lovely and we had a lot of fun chatting.

Okay, I have to tell you that Patrick was awesome tonight! He performed "I Need a Dollar" and "Mannish Boy" and was on in both numbers. In his first number, he managed to catch the hat and manoeuver it with ease. I wasn't crazy about this exhibition the first time I saw it but I thoroughly enjoyed it tonight. He has tightened up many of the moves so he looks so much cooler now when he performs this choreography. What I love most about his skating is his edge quality. He really can do anything with those blades, and that facility translates into a wonderful playfulness in this number. The crowd ate it up and he received some of the loudest ovations of the night (for both his numbers). And he got a "yeah, Patrick" from an excited fan in the audience:)

And "Mannish Boy" has continued to develop. He has really opened up his body and learned to work it out there. He got several hoots and hollers as you would imagine--he was totally hot out there. It didn't hurt that his outfit nicely highlighted his gorgeous physique. And I think the audience really appreciated how he sunk into the movements and made a real effort to connect with them. When he took his bows, he even flexed his muscles playfully at one point--it was really cute! A woman in my section yelled "We love you Patrick" as the lights went out after his performance.

He was terrific in the group numbers and seemed to really enjoy the interaction with the other skaters. In the "Marchin' On" cast number, performed in a military style with red and black outfits that reflected this theme, some of the guys placed their umbrellas across the girls' backs and danced with them, and Patrick did this really well with Meagan. It was a lot of fun.

I also have to mention that in the "Come Together" cast number, some fans wanted to get Patrick's attention and he actually took the time to acknowledge them and shake their hands. He did this with quite a few people, which was so nice to see. And again, as he was leaving the ice after the final bows, others were calling out to him so he lingered for a few moments. He shook hands with them, chatted a bit with them and waved to them when he finally left the ice. It was very, very sweet.

The show was really well choreographed an performed. The skaters all did an incredible job and I urge anyone who is considering attending to do so. Also, if you have not yet bought your ticket and you are a CAA member, go to the SOI website and look under the heading 'tickets' at the top. The last option is for CAA members. They will prompt you to enter your CAA number and will then give you a code which you will enter in the coupon/promo code area on the ticket page. You will get a 25% discount, so it is definitely worth it. With the discount you can get tickets for less than $30 (this is the least expensive ticket). I attended the Kingston show, and I was happy with the seat I got at this price, so do keep this in mind if yo are attending a show at a smaller arena. There might not be much of a difference between the seats offered at this price and the ones offered at the next price level.

6. spikydurian

^^ Thanks Bkfan for the report. So glad that you met up with clarie. Sounds like you all had a good time getting to know each other which I am not at all surprised. :)

Love the detailed report on Patrick's skate and happy to hear both skaters and audience all had a good time. I love the group picture and found the costumes intriguing and interesting. Something different. Can't wait to watch the vids. Kudos to Buttle as I understand he's one of the choreographer. Bkfan, I think Patrick should request your services as his media person so that he won't be misquoted by Miss Rosie or Mr Phil. :D

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

As anticipated Bournekratzfan's report is intricate and accurate and so detailed that there isn't much to add, except that Patrick looked very comfortable in the group numbers and I could really see where his dancing and movement have certainly improved especially with his hands, shoulders, and arms. He was "bringin' it". I never used to think he was sexy, but I have now refined my opinion....he is a very sexy young man and his smile lights up the arena. I sure as h*ll don't get the haterz.

Meeting up with BKfanand her mother was a real treat. She is so knowledgable and can do the number crunching and detailed descriptions which I can't do. We had a wonderful discussion over coffee after the show and found out we only live a few blocks from one another, so I'm hoping we get a chance to meet up again in the future if anything like this comes to Kingston again.:).

If anyone gets the chance I "ditto" BKfan's suggestion that you go see it. The group numbers alone are worth it. I don't know how the current competitors had the time to fit in so smoothly as it was very well rehearsed and spot on and very sychro-ish. The costumes were impressive.

8. fscric

fscric Active Member

Bournekraatzfan and clarie, thank you so much for the report. I really hope there will be videos available on YT soon.

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I would definitely go to see the show if I lived in Canada or a close-by area, I am a big fan of the SOI cast numbers and group numbers, I thought most of the ones I saw in the past were terrific and there's a few of them I go back to and rewatch from time to time.

Thanks for your lovely reports, Bkf and clarie.

Patrick is the cutest kid and Kurt is the cutest dad to those kids.:cool:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIlP2BjCUAIVL1I.jpg:large

10. spikydurian

I suppose there are some things you cannot judge from afar. Patrick is probably someone whom you need to watch on ice and get to know to appreciate him. Definitely not for print for printed words can be easily misinterpreted.

Now clarie, I envy you. You have not only found a skating buddy in BkF and MumBkF but near neighbour too.

If anyone gets the chance I "ditto" BKfan's suggestion that you go see it. The group numbers alone are worth it. I don't know how the current competitors had the time to fit in so smoothly as it was very well rehearsed and spot on and very sychro-ish. The costumes were impressive.[/QUOTE]

Poor Kurt. He'll probably feel old.:lol: Let's call him big brother to those kids instead. :D It's amazing that he can still skate so well at his age, and he certainly doesn't look 46 (ok..except his hair). :p

Emdee and Corianna's attending tomorrow night. Hey Emdee and Corianna, do post your thoughts. Emdee, I hope your DD take some nice pictures.

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Check out the opening number fan vid on the V/M thread....skaters were coming out of nowhere, and it was very slick and so entertaining.....I was so overwhelmed, I didnn't know where to look first :). I loved the song "Somebody that I Used to Know" by Gotye

12. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed reports! I look forward to seeing SOI on Sunday but I haven't watched any video at all, I want to be surprised. I don't have on-ice seats but I do have the first row of the grandstand. I am taking my daughter as it's her birthday. The ticket was originally intended for my mom but she has a prior commitment.

I have to agree I am limiting my FSU reading to this thread and the CSOI thread lately. I haven't even read the Dimanno article. I just can't handle all the hate. I love Patrick and always give him the benefit of the doubt if he is misquoted, or his words are taken out of context, or he just is blunt and honest and it comes out wrong. He's young and sometimes impulsive but generally I get where he is coming from. It sounds like in this latest case, he said what a lot of other skaters wouldn't dare to say (but they feel it).

13. fscric

fscric Active Member

clarie, when I saw the link posted on V/M thread, I went to look at it. I love the song so it's good to see it's being used for the opening. Can you tell us which one is Patrick as it is really difficult to tell?

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing Virtue moir and Patrick tomorrow and of course the others.
    I will be wearing my Virtue Moir shirt from worlds so hope to get a close encounter with them!

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Oh I actually meant it as a compliment to Kurt, he is one of the fathers of ice shows in North-America and around the world, those kids have a lot to learn from him in terms of showmanship and how to play with the crowds. Besides, men aren't usually as sensitive as women are on the topic of age. lol

With so many young men choosing to shave their heads, I would rather say that Kurt is just following the trend.:D

16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where/when they are actually filming for Television? I remember going to SOI in Toronto years ago and they were film there, and anyone who missed a jump got to go out and do it again......they also asked the audience to stay and watch

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

18. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

In the past few years, It's been Hamilton and I believe that to be the case this year. So that means tonight!

19. spikydurian

luckiest1, VarBar, in aother thread, talked about how Patrick never come across badly in visual interview because we hear what was being asked and answered. Whereas in print interviews, we don't know what was being asked or posed to Patrick. We know Patrick is honest and frank by nature and unfortunately, that may hurt him because sometimes these journalists may purposely quote him out of context. It is so easy to do so even with the haterz. I remembered after the LP in Nice, the camera caught Patrick telling Krall that 'he has done enough' to win. Lo and behold.. the haterz chose to interpret that as 'he was so arrogant to think that he had won'. That's truly a purposeful misinterpretation or twisting of words. :rolleyes:

Yes, I love it too claire and fscric. The music is kind of quirky and it goes very well with the costumes and choreography. Hail to Jeff and Renee.

I was kidding VarBar. I don't think Kurt is sensitive regarding his hair. In fact, he loves to laugh at himself and I truly like him for that. And yes, men are different ..didn't they say Men are from Mars and Women from Venus? :lol: And at 46, Kurt can literally be a father to some of them. It is good to know that as he's slowly bowing out of skating, there is this incredible talented young man in Buttle to take over. Way to go SOI.

Found this pix of Patrick and Joannie signing autographs. Eh Emdee, clairie, BKfan, scrufflet, Corianna, thanks again for all the reports and comments.

20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Wish you'd been here to join in on the fun! Why on earth are you in Australia anyway?

21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I don't think Patrick is in that Opening video. I recognized Browning, Buttle, Scott Moir, Eric Radford, John Kerr and I am pretty sure the man with an umbrella doing a cantilever is Shawn Sawyer.

From the Kerrs.

http://www.sineadandjohn.com/

From Ashley Wagner.

http://starsonice.com/?content=blog&id=5055

http://instagram.com/p/YlTagpvnoy/#

Good to know they are going to televise the show.:)

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Patrick wasn't in that opening number either as his first solo was right after that. Also, while they were all rehearsing for this, Patrick was in Japan at the WTC.

23. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Yes, Patrick was not in the opening number.
    Iggie on the VM thread went for the meet and greet and said that even after others had left Patrick stayed on the ice and kept practicing his dollar routine.

Mannish boy has really grown and I even enjoyed the Dollar routine.
    Patrick did a perfect spin in front of me ...like 4 feet away . His speed is unmatched.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  24. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I loved Stars on Ice last night in London. Totally loved every minute! The opening number was superb, even with no Patrick in it, but I knew he was up first so that was ok. Fantastic costuming and choreography. My daughter, who is a casual fan at this point, was also impressed. And then Patrick's dollar number, which was very well done except at the end he couldn't for the life of him do the trick where he flicks the hat up with his blade and catches it. I think it took 6 tries, right through and after his bows, until he finally did it, but he was determined not to leave the ice until he did! LOL The crowd gave him good applause, and he was very appreciative. Our seats were not on ice, but they were first row centre ice and they were fantastic. So so close.

I have been waiting so long for Patrick to join this cast, every year purchasing my tickets and hoping that he'd be announced, so I was in 7th heaven for the group numbers with him included. I have always felt he belonged here, and I think finally he is getting the accolades from the Canadian audiences that he deserves. Mannish Boy was amazing, he was so on and smiling and flirting and the audience was eating it up. I can't explain how happy that makes me for him. I had a friend who is new to skating in attendance, although she wasn't sitting with me, she lucked into an on ice seat with a friend of mine. After the performance she said to me "if I wasn't already married I'd be going after him, he's so sexy". She is 25. That also made me very happy. :)

Other highlights for me were Shawn Sawyer, Virtue & Moir (of course!), Kurt (who at 46 amazes me), and Meghan and Eric. I wish they had 2 programs but I loved the one they did. I am sorry my mom was not able to attend this with me to see Singing In The Rain performed live. She would have loved it. At the end, Patrick came right over in front of us to shake hands with a little girl, so while we didn't get a high five, not being on the ice, it was pretty damned close. :)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed Luckiest1. Patrick has become quite the showman and this year alone was a HUGE improvement. He is in for a fantastic pro career if he wants it. His smile goes for miles :)

26. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Hello Luckiest One. I was thinking of you, as I briefly toyed with the idea of hopping up to London to see the show again. Yes, indeed, Patrick is turning into a showman. I thought he had improved even from the Christmas show in Stratford. He caught the cup on the first try here, but I'm always distracted by the hat in this program. I keep reminding myself to watch Patrick skate, but the hat grabs my attention. Oh, well... it's fun anyway. I loved Manish Boy. Shawn, almost, but not quite, made me like Carmina Burana.

27. spikydurian

Need you rub salt into wound? :(

luckiest1, I am looking forward to see the vid on the opening number. So many are raving about it. Glad that your daughter is also impressed and I am sure becoming a potential figure skating fan. Unfortunately, the three males in my family are unlikely to become a figure skating fan so I have to look for buddies ... here on FSU! :lol: Though on a brighter note, my younger fella went for fun/recreational ice skating for the first time(!) a few weeks ago with his mates. So maybe .. maybe .. he can be my buddy... someday.... :D

Now I wonder who is this sweet little fan of Patrick.

Kerr tweeted a pix of Patrick .... looking silly. :lol:

28. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Corianna,
    Spiky will be ROFL when we are -10 with windchill of -20!!

29. fscric

fscric Active Member

30. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Salt-free! Salt-free! If I ever win a lottery, I'm flying you to TO for a show!