Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true, no one beats Lori when it comes to creating high-scoring footwork for skaters. However, I think consistency on the jumps should be Patrick's focus for 2013-2014 because it's the repeated mistakes on the jumps that got him into trouble this past season. One might argue that even less than one point (+2.00 GOE to +1.40 GOE on a ChSq) can make the difference between victory and defeat and I agree but whenever Chan wins a title by just one or two points, you can be sure he skated quite poorly for what he would actually be capable of and that he left a lot of points on the table by messing up his jumps. I think I can agree with Patrick that consistency and repetition are the key words for next season.

I would first need to know what Chan's favorite pieces are but other than Coldplay, I am completely in the dark.:confused:

That's usually my problem with Tom Dickson's choreographies. I too hope Patrick's new program will have a theme that I can easily recognize.

2. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Phil Hersh doesn't appear to understand much about figure skating, yet he is unflinching in his opinion that Chan's wins are ridiculous. That he makes these claims without actually making solid reference to the rules under which Patrick has been evaluated makes it hard to take anything he says seriously. Journalists like him are bad for the sport, imo. I agree, it is fine for him express an opinion about a result but to express it in the manner in which he did...it seems he purposely wanted to hurt Patrick which is just sad.

ali_dorate, what a lovely post! Like spiky said, Patrick is lucky to have a fan like you. What an incredible moment that must have been for you! I am so happy that you got to experience this, and I appreciate you sharing it with all of us:)

Also, great points, VarBar! Do you think he should go back to training at altitude? For both his physical conditioning and his confidence?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Hersh is tool masquerading as a sports writer. He needs to preface his "articles" with -- this is just my uniformed opinion because I hate COP and refuse to learn how it is used. Bring back 6.0 because I can only understand simple numbers between 0 and 6.

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Training at altitude undoubtedly has its benefits but it seems that Colorado Springs is behind Patrick now and I don't think he would ever go back to his former training base other than for a few short stays.

Not sure we are going to see Chan attempting this challenging three-jump combo in competition because it would most likely not be worth the effort and the risk taken under the IJS but it's interesting though that he went for it while practicing for a show. Maybe he wanted to send the world a message?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBra3ElV9uE

Prefacing Canadian Stars on Ice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH3067hCQAA5bPW.jpg:large

5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Getting excited now for SOI Kingston........wheee!!!! Hope we get a chance to "high-5" as we are rinkside.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think so too. If he can practise till skating the program without thinking, then he is less likely to make mistakes.

Training at altitude undoubtedly has its benefits but it seems that Colorado Springs is behind Patrick now and I don't think he would ever go back to his former training base other than for a few short stays.

A decision has been made and it's time to move on and focus. I am sure Team Chan has considered all its pros and cons before moving to Detroit. Interesting that he went for it during the SOI practice too. Maybe it was just 'fun'. How many points can one gain if you do a three jump instead of two jump combo,VarBar? Why is it not worth trying it in a competition? (I need some COP education).

clarie, I hope you get to meet other FSU-ers at the show too. Have fun cheering the skaters on. Please post your report and pictures here if any.

ProfDeb, now that it is confirmed that Patrick, Weaver, Poje and Balde +++ are training in Detroit, you can drop by to cheer them all.:)

7. fscric

fscric Active Member

Hope to read some reports about the show tonight.

8. Bournekraatzfan

I see what you mean. And thx for the link!

I am sooooo excited for you, clarie! I cannot imagine being that close! PM me if you would like to meet up. I will be attending the Kingston show with my mother.

9. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Looking at Patrick's training decisions, it seems he needs to keep refreshing things to stay motivated so I hope Detroit does that for him. I often wonder though why he doesn't just stay home and train in Canada - one thing Canada has in abundance are high performance coaches for senior men. It would certainly save his family some money which was a factor a few years ago - and just perhaps the real reason that Patrick went with one coach and to Buttle for choreography. But that's JMO.

10. spikydurian

Have you met with clarie before Bournekraatzfan? If not, I hope you two get to meet up.

I remember reading somewhere ... that he ended up in Colorado Springs to train with Krall for his quads. It seemed that the atmosphere then was conducive too as he had his skater friends and the high altitude was a plus. Oh yes, I read that Toronto has too much distractions. :) I GUESS now that he is no longer with Krall and I understand most of the skater friends he trained with have retired or moved, there's less motivation to stay on. OK.. I am just guessing and saying based on what I have read. Guys, correct me if I am wrong.

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

BKfan....I just sent you a PM :)

12. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the base value of a jump combination is the sum total of the base values of the jumps that combination contains, in other words whether a skater attempts a 4T/3T/3Loop or a 4T/3T and a 3Loop as a solo jump later in the program, the total base value of these three jumps is exactly the same, that is 19.5 points: 4T base value = 10.3; 3T base value = 4.1; 3Loop base value = 5.1. But the likelihood for a skater to land the third jump in a three jump cleanly and get good GOEs isn't as high as the likelihood for him to land the second jump in a two jump cleanly. Furthermore, a three jump like the one Patrick did would reduce the number of triple jumps the skater could do in the second half of the program for the 10% bonus. Maybe the skater would be better rewarded on skating skills and performance/execution if he attempted a three jump instead of a two jump but Patrick is not one of those skaters who should be concerned about their PC scores - unless he makes serious mistakes.

13. spikydurian

^^^ Thank you VarBar. Makes sense. Now would a 4quad salchow makes any difference? Not sure why he has been practising 4QS but not bringing it to competition. Perhaps, it's just not consistent yet?

14. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

16. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The benefit of a 4S is that it's a high value element that frees up a jump slot. If he has a regular one that he can add to his to 4Ts already, he should do it without hesitation. At minimum, it's a two point jump over a 3A (if he were to replace his 3A with a 4S), 4 points over a triple lutz, and an insane 7 points above a backloaded 2A.

I don't think he has it, though. I think he'd more likely get a 4F than a 4S to be honest.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  17. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Is there anyone in Patrick's life - ANYONE - who can give him some advice about being more careful what he says to the media - especially vultures like Rosie Dimanno who have no class?

18. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

As much as I dislike Dimanno's "journalism", Patrick isn't a kid - he's been in the spotlight long enough to know how he should behave from a PR standpoint. The fact that he constantly says things that paint him in such a poor light after all these years - just makes him seem cocky, arrogant and as if he's above it all. I love Patrick's skating, but the more I read these things from him, the more I find it difficult to appreciate what he can produce on the ice. Honestly, he needs to be put down a few pegs. Look at Tom Cruise - he might still pull in ok numbers at the BO occasionally, but since the Oprah couch jumping debacle and the more details about his Scientology involvement emerge, the more lustre he has lost (and the more people can't buy him as anybody but Tom Cruise...).

19. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I don't think Patrick has said anything so terrible - if you actually listen to him give an interview as opposed to what the print media writes, he is the polar opposite of cocky and arrogant. He is a very likeable, humble guy who is also very conscious of his abilities and talent - and when did that become such a crime in a high performance athlete? He's criticised and vilified for winning events when he falls. But why should he have to sit back and take it when everybody and their dog is trashing him? The judging system is not his fault, but the vitriol keeps coming. He's allowed to stand up for himself.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  20. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I also wonder if the journalists know Patrick would give these kind of sound bites so they constantly go after him for quotes. I'm doubtful that one day Patrick just woke up and said let's go call Rosie DiManno about the idea of Skater's Union.

21. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Artsciboy certainly has a creative understanding of what constitutes an uber (since this is, after all, an 'uber' thread).

I don't think it's ever wise for a skater to talk to Rosie Dimanno, given her track record in reporting. On the other hand, I actually agree with everything that Patrick Chan was quoted as saying in her article i.e. I think the World Team Trophy IS a useless competition, that it IS created only to generate money for the ISU, that the ISU did in fact create it without any concern for the welfare of the skaters involved (ridiculous timing) and therefore it IS in fact exploitation of the skaters involved.

I'm glad that someone prominent enough to be quoted finally had the courage to say what many other skaters probably already think, but can't say. Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Pechelat/Bourzat or Bobrova/Soloviev, for example, can't risk that in their highly politicized discipline. Patrick has enough of a reputation that he can say what he thinks about it, although I'm sure he will suffer somewhat in the short term for his comments.

I suppose that if he actually wanted his comments to get some publicity, Rosie Dimanno is the perfect vehicle for it. If that's the case, it may not actually be poor judgement about a reporter, but rather great judgement about how to use a sub-standard but prominent reporter as a vehicle to promote his views.

If true, I suppose that would be exploitation of Rosie Dimanno.

22. Bournekraatzfan

You're so sweet, spiky:) clarie has long been one of my favourite posters (since back in the day then there was a B&K thread), and we live in the same city but have yet to meet. I only started posting regularly (and thus getting to know fellow members better) last season and i am so glad that we will finally have a chance to meet:)

Re: Patrick's comments. I agree with both artsciboy and blueglass. He is still young, but he definitely has to learn to be more responsible about what he says (he especially has to watch using words like 'everyone' as i really do not believe he thinks that he speaks or everyone). Some skaters seem to genuinely like WTT and created wonderful moments there and a lot of fans (myself included) enjoy the event as well, and I think he should be careful that his words don't detract from that. Having said that, i can't stand DiManno, and i find the article hilarious because it is such a trainwreck, especially considering that Patrick is a target for so many. I agree that the level of vitriol directed at him is unjustified, and I also agree that he hasn't said anything too terrible. I can understand him not being crazy about having to do this event, given its timing and all. I just think he has to choose his words more carefully.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

If any other skater had made those comments, I'm sure it would be a different story. I've even read complaints and concerns over this comp by members of this board, not to mention the lesser statements made by virtue (not Virtue ;)) of not attending if they weren't forced. But because it's Patrick being honest, he gets hanged, drawn, and quartered by haterz.............hmmm, double standard ya think?

24. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that. I think it is the consequence of being very successful at anything. That success ensures that your words have a prominence that they would not otherwise have. He has been, after all the world champion for three years running, so he gets more attention than almost any other skater right now.

Plushenko or Yagudin certainly were hanged, drawn and quartered at equivalent times in their careers based on what they said. Kurt Browning attracted the same kind of attention, although he was protected somewhat because the social media didn't exist to the same extent when he was at his peak. Even Maxim Trankov has started to be analysed to death in the past two years, since V/T have become successful.

The only very successful skaters who haven't had this happen to them are those who say almost nothing, or only speak in a very controlled environment, such as Savchenko/Szolkowy or Yu-Na Kim.

25. fscric

fscric Active Member

I would hope another article of the same contents written by other more respectable journalists would surface so that I could have a better idea of what were really said by Patrick. Given the track record of this person on writing about Patrick, I wouldn't be surprised if she had purposely twisted and exaggerated his words to attract the haterz. But ... is it too much to hope that Patrick only speaks to visual media?!

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I think that is the journalist is the master of "twisted and exaggerated"

27. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

No doubt, but Patrick needs to be more guarded with the media or he will suffer the same fact as Lloyd Eisler. (People dislike him so they disliked his skating.)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you and Bournekraazfan that Patrick should be more careful with his choice of words but I've noticed that the harshest and most persistent Chan dissing usually comes from people whose favorite skaters are anything but saints and whenever their favorites put their feet in their mouths, they would either defend them even beyond reason or pretend that the criticizable comments never existed. So I am with clarie about the double standard, I'm guessing that what we see is just the hypocritical side of human nature in its full splendor.;)

I didn't know people dislike Llyod Eisler. Funny because I always enjoyed Eisler in Stars on Ice, am I too supposed to dislike his skating now?:rolleyes:

I am not quite familiar with DiManno, I've ran into just a few of her articles and they were all about Chan :lol: and all sounding like random chats over lunch or dinner. Has she ever reported on yet other skaters? Some might want to say that DiManno is a good journalist because she knows how to sell a story. Just imagine she would have approached Duhamel/Radford for an interview, who would have shared their positive WTT experience with her, how many people do you think would have read her D/R material? I bet it would have passed almost unnoticed.

29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

DiManno prefers to stir it up whenever she can. I have come to the conclusion that if she has written something, I don't want to read it. She know how to take things out of context and does it well. She is Canada's answer to Phil Hersh. Any chance we can send the two of them somewhere cold? Say like the South Pole?

30. spikydurian

Poor Patrick. Every word spoken is twisted to appear evil and arrogant by his haterz. Don't worry, someday when I turn professional haterz, I can do the same to the haterz's favourite skaters. ;)

Double standards, blueglass. When Patrick stands up for himself, haterzz think he is arrogant and should take the crap thrown at him quietly instead.

I can't imagine what will happen if you put the two of them together. :scream: I am sure with journalists like these two, we miss the late Randy Starkman. What a far cry ....