Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. fscric

fscric Active Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I was like this with Carolina Kostner. Finally seeing her at Worlds this year - I see what all the fuss is about!

3. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Every time we were at practice in London for the Worlds, I would say "I could sit here and watch him skate around all day". And I mean it. It blows my mind.

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I didn't know Wilson and Orser worked with Coulson when they were kids and learned the basics of figure skating from Patrick's childhood coach. While it's probably true that some coaches place a lot more emphasis on developing the skating skills of their students than other coaches, being naturally gifted for the sport can make all the difference. Chan is a skating genius and skating prodigies don't come around with each generation of skaters, so I wouldn't expect Patrick to produce yet other little Patricks if he chooses to become a coach. But I'd love to see Chan trying though.:swoon: Speaking of skating skills, Liam Firus IMO is one other Canadian skater with brilliant basics but unfortunately Liam is struggling even with the triple jumps - as opposed to Kevin who can land two quads in his short program and three quads in his free.

Interesting you say that, IHeartJeffrey and The Accordion. It seems some figure skating fans do need to see Patrick live or Carolina live to be able to understand why the judges love their skating so much. Other fs viewers don't necessarily have to see them in person to understand and yet others, while they did watch both of them skate live on several occasions, still can't see what the fuss is about. Or they can see what the fuss is about with Carolina but not with Chan or the other way around. I don't know how to explain this.:confused:

Quite frankly, I haven't seen much action in this thread ever since it was started, good times or bad times. Patrick's fans don't seem to be very talkative people - unlike Virtue and Moir's fans for example.;)
    It's a privilege for me to watch Patrick skate but I can't hide the fact that I was disappointed in his free skate in London, especially coming after his brilliant short. As far as the scoring, I have to trust the judges because I always feel that I don't know enough about the technicalities of figure skating and the judging system to be able to judge the judging and express an educated opinion. I've noticed there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this message board who've been watching figure skating since forever but even they disagree with one other quite frequently. Great post, The Accordion. :respect:

A picture from Detroit that was taken some time before Worlds.

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/600373_500050286697942_1876196103_n.jpg

5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Really nice photo. Patrick once again looks like he's having fun. Missing one hottie in that photo though -- where's Andrew?

As for this topic being quiet, I can only speak for myself in saying it has become a very weary and upward battle trying to defend Patrick. Reading some of the venom spewed towards someone who is trying his best and trying to be honest in his interview, I get feeling down. I cannot believe that some of the posters who rave about and defend Carolina on what she received in PCS aren't arguing the same reasoning for Patrick. Nope, it's always that fracking CHANFLATION label they attach.

I am sick.to.death of reading about how Chan deserves this and Chan is the benefit of that and he's the ISU's darling. What he is, is a young man, an athlete striving to be more than he has been, hoping to leave his mark and legacy in the sport that he loves. When people interview him, he always seems gracious and friendly -- rather approachable. Yeah, sometimes what he says isn't quite PC and there may be times he wishes he could take back something he said (don't we all?) but still in all, I think he's a great ambassador for the sport.

Some may think he's leaving his mark on the sport in the wrong way -- winning titles when, in their opinion, he shouldn't. I think he's already made a mark in showing how one does a great program with actual TRANSITIONS between the elements. His programs weave in and out of elements and when a mistake is made, it usually doesn't leave a lasting impression. Unless, of course, you're one of those Chan haterz. They seize on his every mistake and quite often make it out to be more than it is.

6. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I concur with ProfDeb. This little thread is a pleasant place or those of us who want to share news, pictures, and a have a little space to rave about the strengths of our favouite to fellow fans, without negativity, snarkiness, or conflicts. Plenty of all that in all our real lives, surely.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

The way I see it, Patrick has become somewhat of a litmus test separating the knowledgeable from the unknowledgeable. In other words: people who can't appreciate the sheer brilliance of what he does on the ice simply don't understand skating. The ease with which he executes difficult turns while using his entire body, AND blades, to express the music is simply incredible. His balance on the blade during stroking and turns is perfect, even when the jumps escape him. Those who refuse to see that aren't worth arguing with -- about Patrick, or any other skater.

8. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I'm really loving the energy in this thread, and the last set of posts are fantastic. For me, Patrick will be THE definitive figure skater of this generation. And I just feel gladdened that I am fan because man what a ride it's been, and what joy I've gained from his skating.

9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:respec:Agree with everyone. Love this thread where we can rave, share and enjoy everything Patrick besides getting to know each other and perhaps share other interests as well. We must not let those nasties take away our ability to enjoy and laugh.

A fan posted this Japan WTT trailer in another forum. And another kind fan helped to translate some parts of the vid:

I hope Patrick skates his best LP in WTT Japan. Good luck Patrick and all the skaters from all over the world taking part in this competition.

10. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

The people who put Patrick down are those who are jealous and frustrated because their favorites can't compare with him. He's just that much better in all aspects than others, and to me, the greatest. Yes, there are some who come close in some aspects of their skating, but it's very evident when you see him live how much of a super talent he is. There are definitely other skaters (male) whom I enjoy, but Patrick is the icing on the cake.

11. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

I totally agree:cheer2:

12. luckiest1

Thanks so much for this link, I really enjoyed watching Patrick watch Barishnakov and practice his posture/balance/movements in the studio. Very interesting!

13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Wow...thanx for that link...enjoyable for sure. I think Patrick and Team Canada have a terrific chance at the World Team Event. He comes across as the nice kid he is......but very focused and confident............certainly not arrogant. I think he has a rather endearing personality that haterz just don't want to see.

14. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Yes, thanks for the link. Made my morning great.

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

16. totoro8673

totoro8673 New Member

I'll set off to Tokyo today.:) I hope that Patrick will show good performace in his programs!

17. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I just hope he has a great time and can ignore all the backlash from poor judging, not poor skating.

18. spikydurian

Thanks VarBar for the pictures. Looks like Patrick is having a great time, and certain he has kind of bonded very well with Weaver and Poje judging from the pictures.
    (Oh yes Profdeb, Poje is darn hot! ;) )

totoro8673, yes please. Do post your report and pictures here.

I like it when the competition's in Japan because the time difference is only two hours so it means ..I can watch after work! :cheer:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

20. luckiest1

In the eastern timezone, it means getting up at 3:35 am for the men's short. Not sure I can manage that, but since Patrick is skating last, perhaps it will be closer to 4:30 am? LOL I will try.

21. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Too bad we're so far apart, but maybe we can pretend we're having a pajama party. I'll toast you both as PC skates.

22. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Toasting will be great with a nice cup of capucinno!

23. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Emdee, I'll be thinking of you all while i search for my frother.

24. spikydurian

My favourite breakfast - cappuccino and cinnamon toast!

Wouldn't it be great if us all live near each other? I can imagine the fun in sharing one's excitement and disappointment..... just like most guys who congregate at pubs to watch those football matches in Australia. I will be thinking of you all too when watching the WTT this evening (my time).:)

I don't think there will be as much pressure in WTT so I hope everyone will have a great skate.

luckiest1, whenever the competitions are held in Europe or Canada, I have to stay up a.m. to watch the competitions. Most times, I just watch the men and go back to bed. Sometimes, I couldn't wake up.:lol:

25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

After I had a problem with some brands of milk DH makes me my cap with the dolce gusto machine.
    It's easy and he makes a perfect cup every time.

26. luckiest1

I'll be lucky if I get the laptop turned on, let alone make myself a cup of anything. :lol: I'm thinking about taking the laptop to bed with me.

27. sequins

sequins New Member

I hope so to. I know the other day I read a comment somewhere saying that Patrick should have some decency, drop out of WTT and not show his face for awhile? WTF? I mean really, what do they want from this guy? It's not his fault,he's not the judge, damn it! Anyway good luck Patrick and Team Canada, even though I really hate this event:lol: but I hope they have fun and skate well.

28. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Idiots will be idiots.........I hope he nails everything there at WTT........they want him to go away so their favorites have a better chance :lol:

29. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I've actually developed a real sympathy for Plushenko fans through all this!

30. spikydurian

Wakey, wakey luckiest1. The men's SP is on now.:)