Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

The interview is in FSU .
    The main forum.

3. SGrand

SGrand Member

Thanks fscric and emdee!

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Here is an old interview with Camerlengo in 2011 where talked about Patrick's skating skills - the ability to gain speed out of difficult turns.

I agree with VarBar, it is unlikely that Patrick's new LP will be choreographed by Camerlengo esp. leading up to Sochi season though it would be interesting to see what Camerlengo can create for Patrick. Takes time to get used to working with one another. Though maybe, Camerlengo can create an Ex for Patrick? Any guess as who will do Patrick's LP for Sochi? If Patrick did choose his own music, then it has to be a choreographer who is able to give him the space and a say in the choreography?
    No Coriana, Patrick didn't say that he will retire after Sochi. Just that I get the impression that he has other things he want to pursue besides figure skating. Hey, it will be interesting if he decides to stay on after Sochi. Big storm in FSU ... haters can't get rid of him. :D

5. SGrand

SGrand Member

Such a great video, especially near the end. They're all so cute with great smiles. And seriously, Javier is the funniest, omg, he made me smile lol.

6. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Patrick tweeted a picture of the Ambassador bridge yesterday, on his way back to Detroit to get ready for WTT: http://instagram.com/p/XSopzjx1xQ/

So they've announced Skate America will be held in Detroit in October. I wonder what the odds are that he will get that assignment? I was seriously thinking about flying to Skate Canada in NB but Detroit is so much closer.....

7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Luckiest I dont think he will go to Skate America. As WC the choice is his.
    He will for sure take Skate Canada and then I think either COR or Eric Bompard. COR because of building a russian fan base and because he will be there again in Sochi and won his first worlds there. He has always done well in France right from his first year in seniors and I think his first GPwin was in France too.

8. luckiest1

You may be right. I was just wondering if he DID decide to stay and train in Detroit, if it might be attractive to him. So I won't count on it and will buy my Skate Canada tickets when they go on sale. :)

9. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Since France was the place the fans rudely booed him, I would hope he'd go somewhere that they're respectful of athletes - like Japan or Russia.

10. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I'm sure he'll be at Skate Canada too. I'm thinking of going to St. John too. Shall we organise a party?

11. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

Yikes, yes, and with all due respect to the US, I cannot even imagine he would choose to go to Skate America given the recent outcry of american skaters and media.

12. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I am going to nationals but not to Moncton.

Happy to meet at Nats if you like. Not sure if I will drive or fly.

13. spikydurian

Oh Emdee, does he get to choose his two GP assignments if he is WC? That's good. I concur with you. I don't think he'll skate in SA because past record indicated the only time he skated there was in 2007-2008 season. SA is too close to SC unless the urge not to fly or for some other reasons, are more important (assuming he stays to train in Detroit). Strategically, he may choose COR so that he can get acclimatised flying to Russia and its culture.

Emdee, I think I will send you a koala/platypus/kangaroo/Tassie Devil to throw on the rink .... good wishes from his fan from Oz! Gosh, I am surely missing all these fun you ladies are having. I wanted to ask but forgot, besides Emdee, who else threw a hat on the rink?

14. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

My skating buddy and I did.

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

This reminds me of Evan Lysacek telling a reporter (he was answering a question) some time after Vancouver that he would never want to skate in Russia because he knew he wouldn't be welcome there. He was most likely thinking of the bad publicity he had had in the Russian media for his win to Plushenko and maybe also hateful comments against him in social media from angry Plushenko fans. A few days later when I went to read some Russian figure skating boards, I bumped into several posts saying something like "Why did Lysacek say that? It's not true, he would be most welcome to skate here. Evan, we are waiting for you to come to Russia." See, there's always two facets of the coin.

I read in another thread Patrick would feel he is the skater everyone hates. Well, it seems that Chan always reads only the wrong comments about him, he is a beautiful skater with a lot of fans in many different countries who can't wait to see him skate falls or no falls. Preferably no falls, of course, and hopefully he will find a way next season to hold his competitive nerves in check.

Booing, outcry, it's all blown out of proportion, too much noise and loudness with too little scientific approach behind it IMO.

16. bibi

bibi Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiLzxxWONec
    What did he say from 10:50 to 11:00 ?? I can't understand but it seems quite funny :)

17. spikydurian

:cheer:

That's right. Sometimes all we need is a loud disturbing minority and that's enough to tar behavior of the decent majority.

Not sure whether this has been uploaded here .. I don't remember. Here's BT Vancouver: Jody Talks to Patrick

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanx for posting that "Spiky". I hadn't seen it before. I think he could bring a lot to up and coming young skaters. He certainly has the personal experience to go along with that kind of academic training. Then we would have a whole lot of little "Patricks" with superb skating skills :lol:

19. spikydurian

I agree Clarie. Patrick said he wanted to do something for figure skating in Canada, and isn't assisting in improving the skating skills of children a way forward. The blossoming of a flower starts from the seedling. Coulson passed on his skills to his students like Wilson, Brian, Patrick and etc. and created a generation of skaters with good skating skills. This passing on of knowledge and skills must continue otherwise, it will create a big gap in future. Different coaches have contributed to Patrick's growth post Coulson and they too have taught him well in other areas.

Patrick has spoken about taking a business course in University but if he is thinking of passing his skills and training of the younger generation, I think a physio related course like physiotherapy, human movement etc. may be useful to him. Sports training are so high tech and holistic these days.

Happy Easter Holidays to all Patrick fans.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  20. luckiest1

Thanks for that clip, I hadn't seen it before.

21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Fernandez's English isn't very easy to understand because of his strong Spanish accent but I think he said "I hear I am the only lazy here. I'm on vacations." :)

22. spikydurian

23. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

i think once Patrick has retired, it will probably be something that he will look at.

24. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

There is just not enough action on this thread! I feel like people are getting down about the Worlds Free Program and or the controversy and or just how difficult it is to be a PC fan in this time.

So I would like to post about how much I appreciate Patrick Chan's skating. I was at the Worlds this year and had the honour to be there for the World Record Short program. And for everyone saying he was overmarked - think again. It was exquisite in person and if you compare it marks wise to Hanyu's previous world record score - I can't see how anyone could argue. I am so grateful I got to see that program.

I have now seen Patrick skate the most incredible short program and the most incredible Free program (Canadian Championship 2011) and having seen that combination of 2 of the Worlds most amazing programs I am proud to call myself an uber. I was sad that he was not able to put together a flawless - or TBH a near flawless program for the free program at Worlds this year - but overall that particular session of skating was just not great. The exception of course was Dennis Ten - and I also thought Brian Joubert (and I am normally not a huge fan) rose to the occasion. But the rest were either overcome with nerves or exhaustion or injuries or a combination thereof. And in the competition overall - had Hanyu, or Fernandez or Takahashi skated near their potential - they would have won. And I wish that people would remember that. I am a big fan of Hanyu's and an even bigger fan of Takahashi - but they just did not skate well. Hanyu looked like he was barely going to make it through the free program and I feel like I didn't see the real Takahashi all week until the Exhibition. Then I was reminded of how incredible he could be.

Anyhow - I am in awe when I see Patrick skate in person and could quite happily pay to watch him do crossovers. Throw in a turn here and there and the sound of his blades on the ice and I am beyond content. Yes - his skating skills are THAT GOOD. Part of me wonders what he would be like as and icedancer - but then to get to see how gorgeous a quad can be!

I am grateful for every chance I have had to see Patrick skate and especially ecstatic about the times I have seen him in person. I also greatly admire his courage in trying new things to grow as a skater and contribute more to the sport. He could have kept succeeding as he was skating last year - but he wanted to grow as a performer and by working with new choreographers.

It is too bad so many have become consumed with bringing him down / shouting about his faults and been blinded from seeing one of the greatest skaters of all time. And yes - I realize he falls and makes mistakes. Believe me - there is no way his detractors would ever let any of us forget that. But which skaters in all history have not have had shortcomings or "faults" Which skaters have had IT ALL? And more importantly which skaters have had IT ALL as it is now defined with IJS?

Dennis Ten was terrific at Worlds this year - but he has had more than his share of disappointing results - and in all honesty his SS do not compare to PC's Takahashi - my other favourite - has been plagued with inconsistency - even before his injuries began to affect him so much. Plushenko may be the most consistent skater of all time - but he has done so by using charisma, posing and way watered down programs to earn his performance and choreography marks. Fernandez and Hanyu are inconsistent.

I could keep going but you get the idea.

So to those who might laugh/ scoff/ YELL AT ME IN CAPS for calling Patrick Chan one of the greatest skaters of all time I say this: I am sorry for you that you miss out on enjoying such beauty/elegance and athleticism. I am truly sorry for you.

alilou, clarie, Debrah and 7 others like this.
  25. luckiest1

^^^ *applause*

26. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I second that. PAtrick's skating leaves me breathless. After the incredible short at worlds, I was aching for a further triumph in the long, but I have faith that the triumph will come another day.

27. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Accordian -- ITA!

28. IHeartJeffrey

IHeartJeffrey New Member

Out of all the PC haters, I wonder how many of them have ever actually seen him skate live. Because it changes your entire perspective. Before I saw Patrick in person, I didn't care for him much either. But when you actually see the speed he can create without doing very many crosscuts, it's like his skating doesn't even seem physically possible. I've watched a lot of skating over the years, and I've never seen anything like it before.

29. SGrand

SGrand Member

I think that's what gets the judges swooning over him so much. They get to watch practices, they know what he is capable of and they just love watching him skate. Wasn't a judge once quoted as saying he or she could watch him all day long? (Or something to that extent). Other fellow skaters have also remarked about his insane ability. But SS are hard to see sometimes, especially on TV. I love hearing that by seeing him live, people have become fans. I hope he's doing alright among all of the controversy, having fun and getting down to business to come back next season ablaze!

30. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

there's the world team trophy first. April 4-11. I treasure a hope for a clean- or close to clean - Free skate. And I hope the Canadian team has a great time.