Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:cheer: If Worlds ever come to Australia, I will wave the Canadian flag for you Clarie ... (but of course, the possibility is pretty remote .. much like dreaming of striking gold lotto). :lol: BTW, why should the red and white flag clash with your orange jacket? The brighter the better.

Yes Coriana, Patrick seems to have this 'happy enthusiastic personality' which tends to rub off on others. But of course, his honesty and readiness to answer questions has got him into trouble too. :lol:

I too wondered about that particular sentence - what he was referring to? Problem with journalist reporting on an 1/2 hour interview is that we read part of the answer without knowing the question posed. That can be very misleading. (I remembered a colleague who was phone-interviewed by a journalist and the outcome was that based on his comments, women called in to call him a male chauvanist.:lol: For those who knew him well that that was the last thing you would call my colleague! It was the result of picking part of a comment without the full context of the interview). Like Coriana said, Patrick's enthusiastic response has created questions. We will have to wait till after Worlds to find out whether he will move to Detroit and if he will also get a technical coach (at least part time). This coach will have to agree to be p/t instead of his main coach since the interview seems to indicate that Kathy will remain the 'main coach'. We will see. Shall we take a bet whether he will move to Detroit? :p Again, life is never boring with PChiddy. :D

2. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Well, one consideration to remember is Detroit's proximity to Toronto, where he occasionally works with his trainer (and where his family lives). It's only a 4 hour drive.

3. spikydurian

My geography is bad. With this fact, I bet that he will move to Detroit!:D

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Spkidurian You are a wonderful fan. It's too bad you live so far away. I hope you get to see Patrick skate someday. I wish we could all bundle you up and bring you to worlds with us :).

5. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Isn't his trainer in Alberta?
    Spikeydurian, I didn't realize you hadn't seen Patrick skate live. There really is no comparison with what you see on TV. The speed and the distances just don't come through the screen. Switching cameras and angles allow us to see more detail, but we somethings iare lost as well. I like to go to Skate Canada which is early to see the programmes live, so I know the big picture when I'm watching the other competitions.

You're absolutely spot on about the reporting from interviews. Seasoned politicians and literary figures have all fallen victim to having a response qouted without the question. My skating buddy is a politician and it just happened to her, though, luckily not in a way that was harmful. Reporters need to create a story and draw attention to themselve and their articles. One has to be so careful, but when one is careful, one are termed "guarded", or "evasive". Even when Patrick was ambushed by the Globe and Mail a couple of years ago, he said he would continue to be the same outgoing, chatty person he has always been. From the past tense, my bet is the question was phrased something like - "did you move to Detroit in order to get input from another coach?" Anything other than an emphatic "no" would have stirred up quite a hornet's nest, and might have been construed as Patrick blaming his difficulties this year on his team.

Anyway, like Clarie, I wish we could beam you over. Save those air line rewards. I get a major trip every year or two with mine.

6. luckiest1

Yes, there is no comparison to seeing Patrick live!

7. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

"Taking from anyone else" = "taking lessons from any other coach" in typical skating lingo.

8. spikydurian

I soooooo wish.... too, Clarie!;)

9. luckiest1

Did anyone see Patrick's little segment on George Stombo's show last night? George tweeted about it which is the only reason I caught it. I looked like it was taped when he was there for his interview. It was really cute.

10. PCFan

PCFan New Member

Just saw Patrick's segment it was hilarious (skating trash talk!) and he's so adorable. He's such a natural in front of the camera; could acting be in his future? Here's the link http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/platform-videos/full-episode-1/gst-s3-episode-113---meg-tilly.html. The good thing is Patrick's segment is at the top of the show.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. PCFan

PCFan New Member

I'm going to Worlds :D -by myself :yikes:

12. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Thanks for posting. That was great. Acting, not really, TV personality, for sure. He could be Kurt's natural heir. Is suspect he'll do something entirely different, unfortunately.

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Luckiest1 do you want to arrange a meeting for us Fans. We dont know London so will need some help. Maybe there is a coffee place we can get together in that is walking distance from the Gardens?

14. luckiest1

Hmmm, good idea, let me think where would be best.......

15. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Ladies, if you haven't seen it, do not miss the video of Kevin being interviewed by two Japanese amateurs who don't know who he is, which PJ has retweeted. The tweet is about Figure Skating Fans. I would post it if I had any idea how. But if you follow PJ or access her twitter, it's worth the effort. The two Japanese lads intercept Kevin and Rudi as they are about to go shopping, from the looks of it, as part of some TV contest. It's hilarious. I know I should put this in "the other than Chan: thread, but I wanted our little group to read about it.

16. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Wow! I'm willing to join!!

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

18. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I don't understand why PJ is so mean to Kevin. How come Max could beat Kevin ? IF both skate clean Kevin still win.

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Me too, but you'd have to post time and place here as I'm not sure if I'm bringing my cf.....I only use it for emergencies and pay every month....but fortunately I haven't had any emergeincies yet so it's never been used :rolleyes:

20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Luckiest1,
    Can we leave meeting time and place with you?
    Miriam

21. luckiest1

My concern is that any coffee shop near the Bud Gardens is going to be packed. Probably nowhere to sit. Also, I am bringing my mom every day, and she can't walk far. So I'd probably just suggest we meet over at the market, where we can grab a coffee or tea and then hopefully commandeer a table somewhere. I have no idea what day and time would work for everyone. Does anyone else want to suggest something?

I am quite shocked that PJ is predicting Patrick for bronze. Maybe she doesn't want to jinx him.....

22. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Anything preferably to you is OK for me. Don't worry. It would be nice if I can say hello to you and your mom.
    As for the PJ's prediction, I'm also quite shocked. As PJ had an interview with Patrick recently, I'm afraid she sensed something from his voice and the way he talked.

But there is a good news.
    When PJ picked Patrick as a winner at any international event in this season, Patrick lost. On the other hand, when PJ picked someone else as a winner , Patrick won (that was at COR).
    So honestly I have no faith in PJ's pick.:lol:

ETA: New video from "The Hour." He is too cute.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KzzsVLdfLA

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  23. spikydurian

:lol: Can't imagine Patrick being an actor. He's such an open book! :D Yes, I agree... kind of Kurt's natural heir. Put the two of them together, all you get is fun and laughter.

I have linked the above to the article on skating fans. OMG, I love the article regarding Canadian Spec-Skaters and their pictures. How wonderful. They are indeed such dedicated fans of figure skating and I love their pink jumpers. There should be more of such fans who genuinely enjoy and love figure skating and not just the personalities. Because if it is the personality we love, our interest with figure skating will die/fade when the individual retires. Of course there may be some we enjoy and love a bit more but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate what every individual skater brings to the ice.

ali_dorate, you must join them if you are going to the Worlds. Ladies, I think you all should start something like the Spec-Skaters. Okay, looks like I am more excited than everyone eventhough I am not attending.:)

This interview is interesting esp. PJ's opinion on booing. I have had my fair share of opinion on 'the right to boo because we pay to watch' way back on the earlier thread so I shall not repeat my personal disgust on such behavior. I would like to think that figure skating fans are different from the stereotype football fans. (Sorry ladies for my rant) :p
    Coming back to PJ's pick on Fernandez-Hanyu-Chan, I agree with her. We all know Chan hasn't been skating well this season.

skatingfanfun, I don't think PJ is mean. She didn't really say that Max will beat Kevin. I think, imo, what she was trying to convey is that even with a not so good SP, one can still win if the LP is skated well. She is comparing the placings in SP vs LP. She did indicate that at least five men have a shot for the Worlds podium. And may I add... they all have quads!

24. luckiest1

I have seen them for years in their pink shirts, how interesting to read their background. I agree, I am one who gets sucked into the personalities, but I am always a fan of the sport. However, there have been a few years where no personality has grabbed me enough to motivate me to travel and spend money on attending competitions in person. I always watch on TV though. I am loving the Patrick/Virtue & Moir years right now. I don't know if I will continue to travel and attend in 2014 after Olympics if they retire.

How does 3 p.m. on Wednesday at the Red Roaster cafe in the Covent Garden Market sound to everyone? It is just inside the front doors, you can't miss it. There is a 50 minute gap between the pairs short program and the opening ceremonies that should give us enough time to meet there. Now....how will we know each other?

25. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

You should all be tiffed in PURPLE!!!!

Kind of an inside joke as there is this one woman who has been attending comps in Canada for years and not only is she always dressed in purple, but so is her hair!!! I kid you not.

Anyway, about the colour? just poking some wistful fun at all of you.

26. spikydurian

Alright, you just love them a bit more. :D I am sure by 2018, there will be a handful of Canadian stars to lure you back to watching figure skating live! I thought the Nats wasn't that expensive?

Wear pink jumpers! :p

27. luckiest1

It's not usually the comp tickets that are expensive, it's the travel & hotel & food etc. Now, with Worlds it's the comp tickets. :lol: We are all wealthy women attending, dontcha know? :rolleyes:

Professordeb, I have seen the purple woman too. :lol:

28. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I dont need to worry about wearing any special colour because my DD and myself are often the only east indians in the rink!
    But you can see our photos at miriamdcunha.smugmug.com
    Look at the Motu Mahana section and there should be a couple of pics.

We will be at the red Roaster cafe at 3. I guess all of us will be very nervy that day with Patricks skate to come so we will need to give each other moral support.

29. luckiest1

30. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I recently had the pleasure of meeting him. I have met some famous people who seemed like genuinely nice people before but he's a class act! It's as if none of his celebrity status has went to his head. I almost felt like if i asked him for a ride home he would have said "sure" lol. I wish him the best. Daisuke is my favorite but Patrick is just a classy but down to earth young man. I was extremely impressed. The kindness, class and sincerity i observed was really great! Also, from what i saw, I actually now believe his skating abilities are endless. I wish that i could come close to mastering anything in my life in the manner in which he's mastered his craft. To say that he's "good" would be like saying that a Rodin sculpture is "ok". The word just does not suffice.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.