Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yuka Sato and Jason Dandgent

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Jason Dungjen is the correct spelling. There should be articles later...

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I thought of that. The question is is Yuka a good tech coach? Jason is more a pairs person isnt he? Now that Kuzuka's out this year and all Yuka's clients are injured ( Jeffrey and Alissa) maybe he goes going to her. it is also close to London so we wont be careering around the country.

4. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

I think he is trying to find the place more comfortable for him

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130301&content_id=42143926&vkey=ice_news

6. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Also isnt Kathy Johnson a dance coach to some of the skaters there? W&P for example?

7. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I hope that this two weeks will help to put his head in the right place for Worlds. I believe that he has everything technical that he needs to win, it's just confidence at this point. I'm happy that he seems to have found a positive environment.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I agree. He has all the .goods.. It's just delivering them at right place right time. He seems very comfortable with Johnson though people may think she may not be the right coach. But what is right and what is wrong and only the skater knows and chooses. As a fan, I will be most happy for him to succeed in getting that elusive OGM for Canada. I guess what motivated him to give another four years is the OGM? Winning the OGM will be great not only for Patrick, but for Canada. It will help to raise the profile of figure skating in men and encourage the next generation of kids to take up figure skating, if not for competition then for fun. Herein lies one of the keys to finding and nurturing the future generation of talented skaters. Didn't he take up skating because he wants to play hockey? But ended up catching the eye of Colson who nurtured him. Patrick had talked about his hopes in playing a part in encouraging the kids to take up skating.

My good wishes will be with Patrick. He is not skating as well this season and my hopes are realistic. Any medals I am happy but of course, gold is the best. :D (Kwong mentioned that 'Patrick will have the fight of his life this coming worlds'.)

Emdee, luckiest, Coriana ... have lots of fun. I will be there with you all in spirit and thoughts. I will be in Melbourne at the time of competition so I am not able to watch the live streaming. Please take lots of pictures and PM to me. I am as excited as you all (and hope to meet you lovely ladies some day ... you never know);)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

From that same icenetwork article, I found this interesting
    and then he finished with this
    which put a large smile on my face.

10. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Lovely post, Spikeydurian. i'm thinking of taking my laptop with me, so I may be able to report. i'll leave the pictures to the others - at least until my skating buddy arrives on Thurs. She's the one who likes taking photos. I agree about Patrick's needing to get his head in a better place, and possibly break out of the pattern he seems to have been in - other than at Cup of Russia where he did quite all right. All of the lads have had uneven results this season, even Javi at his nationals. I hope they all bring their A game and Patrick pulls off a win. And I'll miss seeing Taka.

My buddy and I are Newfoundlanders, (I'm not living there now, but she still is) and so we're also really rooting for Kaetlyn Osborne to make the top ten. And as someone who lived 50 miles north of London for most of my adult life, it will be thrilling to see Tessa and Scott at home. This has to be the most exciting Worlds ever for me.

11. luckiest1

I will use my iPhone to post from practice, but I don't take very good pictures with it. :lol: The part about the placement of the jumps is interesting, mainly because his mom mentioned to me at Skate Canada that he found it difficult to adjust to using a new choreographer as they placed the jumps differently than he was used to.

12. spikydurian

Thanks luckiest1. Do you have an i-Pad? It can take great pictures. I have a friend who was taking pictures with his i-Pad when we were on group holiday. Of course, it's not as convenient as i-Phone.
    He will have another season to polish La Boheme with Wilson. I guess he will be still using LB as his FB next season. I hope he won't use Elegie again next season. Whilst it's a beautiful Ex piece, I think it's a challenge to turn it into a very competitive SP. And I still hope that Patrick can work with Lori again next season. Hoping to see something similar to 'Tango de Exilados'.:)

13. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Good to hear he changed the layout of the jumps, presumably in FS. It seems the 3A in the second half in FS didn't work for him.
    Bit anxious the worlds will be the first performance of the new version. If he feels comfortable, it will come along.

To early to talk about the next season, but if he really has to choose one program for Sochi, I prefer Elegie. As much as I love La Boheme and appreciate Wilson for opening a new window for Patrick, I'm afraid La Boheme is not so strong as an Olympic program. May be I just miss Lori.

Back to this year.
    I'm so happy he finds the place where he feels really comfortable. Looking forward to seeing his smile in London.

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Very happy to hear he changed his jump layout that was bothering him so much. I'm sure it will make a difference. BTW, I hope to run into others from this thread and the V/M thread at Worlds. My SO will be taking photos and we will be the very handsome older couple sitting in section G with white and orange jackets :D

GO PATRICK !!!!!!

15. spikydurian

Coriana, emdee, luckiest1 .... Look Out for a handsome couple in white and orange jackets! Wee... take a group photo!:) BTW, anyone has got the hat for Patrick in case a hat trick happens?

16. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Will do. I'm going to shop for the hat Tues.

17. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Ooo! Any kind of hat or is there some kind of plan? A hat with underwear on it?

18. spikydurian

:rofl: TA, you are naughty! Behave yourself.
    I could still recall Patrick's reaction when he saw panties on ice! Mind you, I can't imagine the hats being collected and presented to him, and Patrick finding an underwear inside the hat. That would be bizarre. :p

19. luckiest1

Unfortunately no, I do not have an iPad, just an iPhone. But I am sure there will be others taking pictures that will be shared. Today I happened upon a Worlds billboard here in town with Patrick on it (and the text was all in French). I will attempt to upload a photo of it this evening to share with you all. I also had lunch at Covent Garden market across from the Budweiser Gardens and took a photo of the empty square. They are supposed to start building the vendor's village this week in that space.

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

OMG, I nearly forgot about the hat.......must find one soon:eek:

21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. I too miss Lori in Patrick's team but I don't think Patrick is considering going back to her for the Olympic season because it seems he has received a lot of compliments for Elegy and La Boheme. And anyways, I feel it's absolutely irrelevant at this point in Patrick's competitive career whether his programs are choreographed by Lori or David or Jeffrey or anyone else who knows a few things about how CoP works. If Patrick can raise his base value next season and land most of his jumps (especially the harder ones) cleany when it counts, the PCS will follow. No rocket science here.

I totally agree with you and I hope that Patrick does know what he is doing with all the goods he has and that skaters can never make wrong choices or that if some of them can, none of them is Patrick Chan.;)

clarie, don't forget to wave to us from your section in the audience at Worlds so that we can recognize you immediately.:cheer:

Good luck to Patrick in London.

22. spikydurian

Thanks luckiest1. Looking forward to the pictures.

VarBar, can sport clarie from across the rink? Maybe you all should wear something unusual so that you can be easily identified.:lol:

Do you all think Patrick will move to Detroit next season? Sounds like it will be just his and his family decision since Johnson is flexible either way. Interesting. And wonder whether he will end up getting a technical coach who is based in Detroit? Who are the technical coaches in Detroit?

23. luckiest1

I really hope if Patrick keeps one program for next season, it's Elegy. La Boheme is probably my least favourite program of the last few seasons. It just doesn't have that moment towards the end that builds, you know? I rewatched Phantom and Aranjuez yesterday and I really loved both of those programs. I can tell you that early on this season, when I sat with his mother at Skate Canada, she talked about possibly keeping Elegy for Olympics. But that was months ago and things could have changed.

Here are the photos I took yesterday, the Patrick billboard downtown and the view of the empty square in front of Bud Gardens from Covent Garden Market:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/krymsonice/patrick.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/krymsonice/square.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. spikydurian

Thanks luckiest1 for taking the trouble to upload these pictures. How many billboards are there? So they have a billboard for every skater?

I do like La Boheme and I think the music cut is brilliantly done though I think some parts are not as well developed. Maybe it's a bit different when you watch it? Yes, I LOVE Aranjuez too. My two favourite programs are Aranjuez and Tang E. Elegie is my favourite Ex. I just think that Elegy is overused by Olympics season. OK, maybe my problem is that I watched the you-tubes and not the real thing. I would rather trust those who watched it live! :)

25. luckiest1

I have only seen billboards for V/M & Patrick. There are quite a few scattered around town. I'll try to get a picture of one of the V/M ones too.

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm glad London is gearing up for Worlds. I don't have a banner, but will have a big flag........I know, it will clash with my orange jacket :(, but must make that sacrifice for the good of fandom ;).

27. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

It will be easy to recognise me, Spikydurian. If I notice the camera, I'll be the one with my hands over my face.

28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I am not going to Worlds myself, I was just kindly asking clarie to wave to the camera for those of us who can't be in London to watch the competition live to be able to identify her easily on TV or in videos.:)

I would first need to know why Patrick would ever want to move to Detroit of all places. Just because Weaver and Poje are there? As well as Balde? And a few other skaters he can crack jokes with during breaks? Or would there be more to it?

Here is the coaching staff at the Detroit Skating Club per their own site.

http://dscclub.com/coaches/index.php

I suppose we can safely strike off Krylova and Camerlengo as an option for Patrick unless he plans on switching to ice dancing.;) I didn't get the feeling from reading the icenetwork article that Patrick was looking for a technical coach in Detroit because he said (quote) "I didn't think about taking from anyone else." Wonder if Eddie Shipstad joined Patrick for his two or three-week stay in Detroit or if Patrick had to find a local "man with a pole.";) Is Eddie as mobile as Kathy Johnson?

This reminds me of a little "incident" I read about during a competition in Canada last season - can't remember now if it was the Grand Prix Final or Canadians. Anyways, someone reported that Patrick had been seen carrying bacon and eggs on a plate to his hotel room in the hosting city and it got me wondering if bacon&eggs was the right diet for a competitive figure skater.:lol:

Thank you for your photos, luckiest1.:)

29. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Yes, thanks for the pics, Luckiest1. Besides Patrick, I was delighted to see so little snow on the ground. I think Patrick finds something to love wherever he is, and always speaks with uncensored enthusiasm. I'm sure there'll be lots of considerations, and he'll have to sort out the order of importance, but it may also be a toss up between Elaje et. al and the mountain bike trails. I hope he'll return to Lori as well, but he'll set his own course. I imaginehis results in London will be the deciding factor in his next choices.

30. luckiest1

There isn't much snow except in areas that aren't walked upon often, and of course the inevitable snow banks along the side of the roads. The "square" in front of the market held an ice rink until one week ago, when they removed it to make room for the vendor's village.