Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. PCFan

PCFan New Member

2. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

As do all on this site, for certain. I'm going to need a pocket full of chill pills in London.

3. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Oh great, I was wondering when the Strombo interview would be on, and thought maybe I'd missed it. There is also a one-on-one to be aired this weekend on CBC (as mentioned on the National last night). I thought it was a good interview, and I LOLed about hockey and his poor mom. Thank God she decided on figure skating (at least for our sakes!)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I so agree, Luckiest1. Strombo's shows are availaible on the CBC website the next day, btw, and seem to stay up forever. I haven't been to London in quite a few years, though at one time I lived up Highway 4 and was there frequently. Is Garlic's still open?

5. luckiest1

Yes, it is. I haven't been there in years but I pass it every day.

6. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Thanks. I'll definitly make time for a visit there.
    BTW, the ISU training video on how to score Transitions is now up on Sequins On Ice. Very informative, and lovely examples,- Elvis, Jeff, Jeremy, Johnny (who doesn't fare well) and T and S, M and C. The site had Skating Skills and Choreo a while ago. I'm not sure if they're still accessible, but this one is worth a watch.
    Everyone who genuinely doesn't understand the scores skaters receive for components, and would like to, should take a look.

7. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with Sequins on Ice but I think the ISU videos on what people should be looking at when assessing program components are also available on Youtube where I actually found them - just by accident, I have to say - some time last year. Elvis doesn't fare well either in one of those videos because of his lack of body movement transitions as opposed to Lambiel for instance.

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

9. luckiest1

A friend just forwarded me this link: http://www.whiteoaksmall.ca/index.asp
    Patrick will be in the White Oaks Mall here in "fake" London on Feb 16 from 1 - 3 p.m. and also will be at the Dragon Gala that evening.

10. PCFan

PCFan New Member

Patrick Chan @Pchiddy
    One year t'ill Sochi! To mark the occasion, watch my interview with George Stroumboulopoulos tonight on CBC at 7pm ET and 1130pm ET.

The show can be viewed online the following morning here http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/

Preview clip http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/mobile-vi...-falling-masculinity-and-blades-of-glory.html

What some people see as a flaw - Patrick's candor, I view as an asset, it makes him a great interview. Patrick looks so handsome and comfortable in his own skin, it's very appealing. :swoon:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I have watched the ISU training vids and I find them very informative. As non-skater fan of figure skating, I am not bothered with the minute details. More like how to 'spot a good skate', understand the basics moves and look at the protocols to understand why A is judged higher than B if I think they are similar.

Thanks PCFan for the links to CBC but I couldn't view them. It's geoblocked in Australia.:(

I watched the short version of interview with Mansbridge. Mansbridge reminds me of Philip Adams of Australia. Rich deep calming voice and always asking thoughtful questions. :)

Profdeb, were you able to get your tickets?

12. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess.
    After a 2 hour drive home yesterday I was pooped.
    Today snow is falling and falling and falling.

14. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

After seeing Kevin's winning performance at the 4CC, I have to wonder if it has really paid off for Patrick to work on developing his overall artistry instead of trying to improve his consistency on the jumps and learning a new quad because it seems that three quads and consistency can carry you a long way.

I thought after the GPF that Daisuke would win Worlds this season. And I thought after the Japanese Nationals that Yuzuru would. And I thought after the European Championships that Fernandez was the favorite for gold in London but then I remembered his disastrous skates at the Spanish Nationals and had second thoughts. Now I think Kevin will be the victor next month in Canada.:lol:

What a strange season this season has been in the men's field.:confused:

15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Anything is possible and I don't think anything can surprise me at this point in time; however, perhaps Patrick is using this time to up the ante. I hope so.

16. spikydurian

Indeed VarBar. Makes it more exciting? :p During the time when Patrick dominated every event, many were not happy .. to the point of hysteria. ;)
    It's alright for me. I would rather he 'chill out' this season than next season. It is not easy to be on top all the time particularly figure skating. It's a demanding sport and it all come down to that 6 minutes (quoting Patrick) where no one can guarantee there will be no mistakes no matter how much one practices or prepares for it. Not like team event when if I have a bad day my team mates can still back me up. Kudos to figure skaters indeed. And most of all, I want him to stay happy and healthy. I hope this yo-yo season for Patrick, will be an important learning lesson for him in how to get back into top shape, remain motivated and focussed next season. You go Patrick. Many of us are all cheering behind you.

17. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I saw some of the interview with Strombo. Hope to catch a rerun of the One on One with Mansbridge.
    Interesting how George was trying to discuss the sport being judged on someone's opinion, while trying not to offend. I will have to rewatch that part, but unfortunately, it is what a lot of people think about the judging. I am not sure how or if Chan responded directly to that point.

18. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I would hope that the top four score at least 265. Much as I would love Kevin to be a fifth, and much as I've thrilled by his success at 4CC I don't think he can get there, unless he goes for that 4th quad and lands it cleanly. I can't imagine that Javi, Disk, Yururu AND Patrick will have a similtaneous meltdown. even though they've all proved they're vulnerable this year. After 4CC Patrick has company in being able to claim underdog status. I just hope all skate their best and - each has had good skates this year too, andyeah, I have to confess, I hope that Patrick wins.

19. spikydurian

There are many judged sports like diving, gymnastics, aerial jumping etc. I don't see anything wrong with judged sports. Most arguments are based on 'artistry' which, IMO, personal and almost impossible to find consensus. What appeals to one may not appeal to the other. I started watching figure skating during the 6.0 era and am still interested in figure skating. So no, COP has not dented my personal interest in figure skating. But I do agree it is harder to judge figure skating than diving because so many elements are involved.

20. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

He's certainly upped his ante artistically. Perhaps he'll refocus on the technical. I'm pretty sure he has a technical team behind him...is Johns still a part of the team? The impression from last season certainly was that Patrick had an uber strict training program that required a ridiculous amazing discipline, I wonder how it's evolved? There must be a plan or some sort of program in place still.

It will be exciting to see Patrick's strategy unfold over the summer, leading into next season.

21. spikydurian

Yes, I think his overall movements have improved under Johnson too, and I also think TES is as important if not more now as could be seen in last few competitions. Patrick definitely has to up his TES score as well.

Oh yeah, waiting with not only excitement but trepidation on how things unfold for him Oh well, we all know, life is never 'boring' with Patrick. :D

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Patrick attempting a third quad in the free skate for the first time in competition at the most important competition of the season - read Worlds - do you think he would have the guts to go for it?

Don't tell me Kevin is practicing a 4th quad, it's scary.:eek:

I read an interview with Brian Orser after the Europeans where he says Fernandez will most likely come up with 2 quadruple jumps in the short program next season. Adding to his three quads in the free. Wow, these men are not kidding, are they?

Don't know, the only person by the name of Johns I've heard of in figure skating is Johnny Johns who is working with Marina's dance teams in Canton.

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well the days of doubles slowly became doubles and triples and were taken over by the expectation that all jumps are triples. We are now onto triples and quads- it will be interesting to see if the day ever comes where all the jumps are quads ...

24. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I was referring to Kevin's 4 loop which he's tried in a few competions, in addition to the 3 he landed at FCC. I don't think he's ever fully rotated the loop, but he often stated ambition is to land 3 different quads in a programme. He wants another record.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Brandon Mroz has attempted the quad loop a few times in U.S. club competitions this past summer... it's possible he may try it for the first time in international competition at Challenge Cup in The Hague later this month.

Was this January 18 press release ever posted here? Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir and Patrick Chan join RBC Olympians Program

26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. Fernandez should really be going for two quads in the short. He can do a 4S out of steps, and has got a solid 4t-3t.

2. I'm gonna argue that focusing on artistry, regardless of what that meant for him personally and what he wants out of his career, has hindered Chan's scoring capabilities. Everything from his jump layout to the way his focus is more split than anything.... it's disappointing.

3. Reynolds has certainly raised his game and expectations this season, though. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to improve (no more than one UR per program!)

4. Eddie Shipstad was never really a technical coach in terms of blade-to-ice.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  27. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Major brain freeze. I meant Eddie Shipstad.

28. spikydurian

It must be the terribly cold weather in the N. Hemisphere, jl22aries. :p I was told by a relative that she got a day off work because of the snow. :biggrinbo

No, I think it's a bit too risky to try at Worlds. Better to be clean than try a risky jump at one of the most important competition.

Wow... Fernandez and Kevin come up with a fourth quad, and if they nail them all, they definitely have a very good chance to be World Champs even beating Dai, Patrick and Hanyu. Would be interesting and exciting. Maybe Hanyu may also add a fourth quad. That he truly become unbeatable. I won't be surprised that even the Russian boys may add more quads!

By the way, I am just passing this message on. A Patrick fan from GS suggested throwing hats onto the ring for Patrick if he managed to pull a HAT trick at the coming Worlds. Who's going? :D Emdee, I know you are.

29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I am too.......and going to see what kind of hat I can find :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  30. luckiest1

Oooh, that would be cool. I'm in for that if it happens (crossing everything imaginable that it will!)

Saturday, Patrick will be making an appearance at the White Oaks mall in Canada's London (hee) for a meet and greet, and in town for the Dragon Gala (he is being honoured). I'm planning to go to the mall to check it out. There is also a skate in the park being advertised by Skate Canada on Monday (family day) with members of the National team. So I'll probably go down and check that out too. I'll have to dust off the skates (and possibly get them sharpened) if I dare to step on the ice though. LOL.