Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Congratulations Patrick for defending the title.
    I'm happy he showed us some gorgeous jumps such as 4-3 in FS and 3A in SP. But I'm just worried about 3A in the second half of FS. I think he has a very low success rate in doing 3A in the second half throughout his career. As his rivals are getting more consistent in doing two quads in FS, putting 3A in the second half seems very dangerous for Patrick. But again I'm not sure it's good for him to change the choreography as he won't go to 4CC where he can test some changes.
    I hope the practices will give him the confidence.

2. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see him double the axle last night. He landed a gorgeous triple on warm up. But regardless, great quads! First one only a few feet from where I was sitting. It was quite a nerve wracking event...not sure how I will survive Worlds live. Lol. Might need to take something to calm me down. ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Chan needs to sort out his coaching situation as soon as possible. Having a dance instructor as his coach is not working. She doesn't know anything about jumps and it's been showing all year long. With the other men upping their jump elements Patrick cannot continue to be this sloppy. He had his year of experimentation but now he needs to think about sochi.

4. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

It was probably his best long program of the season so far, which is good.

The past 2 seasons, Patrick has always had his best skate at Nationals. But he needs to skate clean at Worlds - especially given the level of competition this year. Hopefully he will continue to improve (as he has already) and skate the lights out in London as opposed to peaking too early in January. There is still 2 months to go.

5. sequins

sequins Active Member

I'm kinda in a weird way glad that he didn't skate clean and am holding out hope he will do it at Worlds. Yet in another way I think about all the Canadian men who won worlds the year before the Oly's and couldn't win Gold and I wonder...but of course I want him to win everything. I just don't know if it's in the cards this year and I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing. He needs to think long and hard after this season, and make the changes he needs to win and I think he will. I don't think Chan is afraid of change or failure and I think he will own whatever happens form here. LMAO at Rod Black acting like Chan might lose. That man he drives me to drink.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Rod Black is still living in the "Elvis" era :lol:. I got the feeling Traci just wanted him to shut his gob.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The 3flip-3sal combo really hasn't materialized too many times this season, has it. Perhaps swapping it with the 3loop would make it easier for him to land such a big combo. He really should also consider swapping the axel with the first 3lutz - although it almost seemed too rush after the 2 quads.

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The loop is his second weakest triple (after the axel).

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Patrick definitely has a gorgeous set of programs this season and I absolutely loved his interpretation of La Boheme at Nationals. Not to mention his incredible flow and speed across the ice and precision of edges, even the mark of 11 from all the judges wouldn't be too high to reward him for his out of this world skating skills. Such a shame he doesn't seem to be able to get his act together.:( No, I don't think we can blame Kathy Johnson for Patrick's hard fall on the triple flip or his popped axel in the free.

Does anyone know why he was losing levels on spins and the circular footwork in the free skate? I am not questioning the tech panel's calls but just trying to understand what he was doing wrong there.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I don't have the protocls with me, but on which spins did he lose levels?

11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

ITA. However, his coach is also the mother of the girl he's fallen in love with. That could make it for difficult for Patrick to see the writing on the wall, especially if the girlfriend defends the mothers. And while a mature and responsible coach might advise his/her skater to make a change, I don't know if Kathy is on such coach.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

12. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Here is Kevin's reply to Rod Black:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...lem-in-capturing-sixth-canadian-title-dimanno

Tracy is a martyr for having to put up with Black at every competition. Unless she knows he is actually joking and making a big drama out of nothing on purpose.

CCSp3 and FSSp3. Patrick actually never got level 4 for the CCSpin, if memory serves, but the judges did give him level 4 for the FSSpin at Cup of Russia this season. Fernandez's spins were all level 4's at the Grand Prix Final. Is Javier a better spinner than Patrick?

Some thoughts from Chan after Nationals. It seems he is not going to the 4CC, he wants to see Jeffrey and David and ask them to rework his programs a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pmFSzxpwc

13. luckiest1

You could tell that the axle & the flip/sal were bugging him, because as soon as his gala practice started, he came out and did about 5 of each of them before working on his exhibition program. I think the funniest thing was watching Sandhu try to teach him how to dance gangnam style. For such a gorgeous, graceful skater, he really can't dance. :lol:

He skated the Chrstopher Dean hat program at gala and I think this was the best I've seen him skate it.

I have to agree that the coaching situation probably needs to be looked at. He just hasn't had the confidence he should have this year, in his jumps. He can do them on practice but in the heat of competition you can see he isn't as comfortable as he used to be. Thank god for the two quads in the free, they were beautiful! I woke up this morning humming La Boheme. :)

14. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I found it funny too watching Sandhu try to teach Patrick the opening moves since Mr. Chan was late to practice hahaha! Patrick trying to do the 360 circle that is kind of a light jump back and forth between your feet looked very wooden. He just couldn't seem to get it and I had to laugh.

15. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Maybe Kurt could convince Patrick to use the Lochte excuse to ditch the girlfriend ;)

16. luckiest1

Heard a Stars On Ice commercial on my way to work this morning, and they were using Patrick's name as the draw (first time ever on SOI!) Was very, very nice to start my day. :)

17. puglover

puglover Active Member

Michael Slipchuk was there for the gala practice and he seemed to be kind of having a monitoring session with Patrick - at least Patrick skated back to him frequently for input. It was a very relaxed environment. Patrick seemed to have little or not trouble landing the jumps and did land a number of triple axels. It seemed like there was discussion the local of that axel location in the long program. All in all Patrick looked great - happy, laughing and enjoying the other skaters. I agree with Professor Deb - Emanuel was the star of the gala finale - he had all of the moves. Judging by how rough the practice was it was astonishing how well the end product turned out. Nice to meet you and sit with you Professor Deb.

18. professordeb

Slipchuk was there during the gala practice??? Guess I was too busy watching Sandhu -- man that guy can move. Looking foward to seeing the gala on tv here at home and how the senior dancers fitted in cause they weren't at the practice. Patrick is what I call "my lovable dork" because as many times as he seems to be mature, he then goes and does something silly. Gotta love a guy who is willing to let others see his silly side (guess that's why I married the guy I did :D )

It was fun meeting and getting to sit with you too! Hoping it might happen again.

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow.. sounds like those of you (profdeb, puglover, luckiest1 etc.) who met up had fun! Are you all meeting up again at Worlds?

Can't seem to find Patrick's Ex on you-tube? Anyone any idea where I can find it?

How did you manage to survive that 'stress' luckiest1. Even watching these moments from the comp screen makes my heart pound wildly.

20. professordeb

Can't afford to go to worlds, much as I would love to considering I only live an hour away from London aka the fake one :D Upon trying to get a 3-pack, the seat would be in just about the very last row in the rink AND I wouldn't be able to see the ones I want. Therefore, I am staying home where it is warm, comfortable, all the food I want/need, can imbribe alcohol should I choose AND see things up close and personal. What I will miss is meeting FSUers.

21. luckiest1

Sorry you can't make it professordeb. There are people selling individual events in the ticket sales thread if you decide otherwise....what events are you looking for?

22. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Hello Professor Deb- In case you are interested, i think the tour groups release their seats today or tomorrow, as this was the cut off date for up grading and new bookings. There might be good seats for single events available tomorrow. I agree about the comforts of home, but there's nothing that quite matches the excitement of live.

23. professordeb

I was looking for ones that were earlier in the day so I could just drive there and back again while it was still somewhat light out (I live about a 70 minute drive from the arena). The sheet I had written them down on has now been put out for recycling.

24. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

profdeb, if you have the time, why not try volunteering at the Worlds? This will allow you the chance to see the competitors up close and depending on what duties you may be allocated, you may even get to watch all the events? What a waste ... so close and yet so far. At least you don't have to spend on accommodation and flights. profdeb, I am sure you can find a way to watch without incurring a big dent in your piggy. :)

25. luckiest1

I have a friend who is selling ladies & pairs short (early in the day Wed/Thurs) because she has to work until 4 those days. She has not posted them in any forum as of yet. Let me know if you are interested and I can get in touch with her.

26. professordeb

Volunteering could be a problem as I already volunteer with two hockey clubs -- one of which starts playoffs this week and another that will begin at the end of Feb. I'm also a volunteer and sit on the Executive for our jr b lacrosse team which sees me wearing a lot of hats under the guise of computer guru/game day co-ordinator. Add in being chauffeur for son and a mom in long term care who is having some problems ... taking on anything more at this point might just be too much. I don't really want to go down that path again -- over doing and not enough "me" time. It would send me back to the doc and I'm afraid he'd put me back on some meds again. As much as volunteering sounds like a good idea, I think I will have to pass but I would like to thank you for your suggestion.

luckiest1 -- do you have any idea of how much she might be asking for those tickets and where the seat is located in the arena? There is a slim chance I might be able to fit that part of the comp in my schedule ... maybe ... perhaps.

27. luckiest1

I believe she just wants face value for the tickets and they are in the lower bowl, not sure of the specifics but I think maybe row E or F? Good seats for sure. I will get exact details and PM you.

28. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Patrick just tweeted that his interview with Mansbridge will be on tonight's National.

29. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Thanks Corianna, I was just coming on to post that. Hope it is a good interview and not just the usual.

30. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I believe his interview with Strombo is the 7th.