Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Ah.. that ali dorate. Thanks.

I am not shocked. It is true that there are people who complained about Chanflation (particularly the haters) and these people are now jumping for joy that he didn't win and was beaten. But Patrick must know how to differentiate between the sincere and hypocritical critics. This is part of growing up and learning about the real world and people. I will listen to those who are sincere and stick my middle finger at those hypocrites.:p (Alright Patrick, don't listen to me. I can stick my middle finger but you cannot do it.... yet). :p

Emdee will tell us whether Patrick will show off Dean's hat program this weekend.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. fscric

fscric Active Member

Well, when you have a moron Phil Hersh punching chanflation in his tweets with such hates, what can you expect from others?

3. spikydurian

When Chan is not competing anymore, someone can take over this honour .. maybe Hanyuflation or Chenflation or Brownflation or Lipnistkayaflation, There will definitely be someone who will take over the Flation-ship. I am sure Rosie can tweet as well as Hersh.:lol:

4. PCFan

PCFan New Member

I disagree. Should Patrick continue to lose to his rivals, he'll no longer have that mental edge over them. I think it is particularly important for Patrick to re-assert himself as the one to beat in Sochi with a convincing win at the 2013 Worlds; just in case anyone forgot who's number one. Especially, with worlds being in his own backyard, I feel that it would be a devastating blow to Patrick's ego/confidence if he lost at home. I would rather him deal with the pressure of being a 3 time WC, than the constant barrage of media suggesting that Patrick has lost his edge and is now beatable leading up to Sochi. Losing can become a habit and I don't want Patrick to get too comfortable with it.

Patrick's jump content has stagnated a bit and as a result his competitors have surpassed him in BV which leaves him in the untenable position of having to always skate clean or hope for others to falter. That is not a champion's mindset; so I hope Patrick leads the way once again and rises to the next level technically which he's fully capable of doing.

I usually don't have a problem with Patrick's comments, but the Oda mention below was uncalled for.

5. sequins

sequins Active Member

I can't believe he said that even though I'm sure Oda is totally aware of his reputation(poor kid) and I admit that was the first thing I thought 'Chan pulled a Nobunari'

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Maybe it's become a standard term in FS circles. The Rippon lutz has entered the FS mindset, so it would not surprise me if Nobunari has as well.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

More context for his remark is in Rosie DiManno's column about Patrick's FS:

8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I recall some commentators said of Chan last year when he crashed into the boards that he pulled a Midori and one reporter even asked Patrick if he knew his mistake in that competition was commonly named a Midori. I honestly don't see any disrespect to Nobunari in Patrick's remark, pulling a Midori or a Nobunari or zayaking, all this has become a part of the figure skating jargon with no offense meant to the respective skaters.

I have no doubt in my mind that he is. Patrick would definitely need a third quad in his long program and I would personally opt for a 4F or a 4Lz. I don't remember the base value of any of these two jumps but I am pretty sure he would rack up a lot of points if he were able to fully rotate the jump, even if he fell on the landing. Unless he would want to go back to the 3A/3T combination and try to make it consistent. But I don't think he would though.

If memory serves, this was Patrick's only successful 3A/3T ever, wasn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmM7ZNepSw&feature=player_detailpage#t=62s

9. PCFan

PCFan New Member

^^^Sylvia, thank you for the full context, I should have known better. Next time I'll read the article myself, rather than rely on someone's selective editing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

11. spikydurian

Thanks luckiest1. These four men look great and they have their own unique skills to show off.

Oh well, next time someone make silly falls, we can tell the skater, 'he pulled a Chan'. I don't think Chan mind as he had admitted he made silly falls occasionally. :D

12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Well, there certainly would'nt be such an uproar about it if that were the case as there seems to be a double standard with anything to do with Patrick.

13. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

14. luckiest1

Thanks for posting that video, please post more if you find them!

15. spikydurian

Skate Canada skaters and Patrick wishing everyone Happy Holidays.

I wish Patrick fans here and Patrick himself Happy Holidays, Merry Xmas and Wonderful New Year, too.:cheer::40beers:

16. spikydurian

Found this old interview of Patrick when he was 17. He hasn't won his first Nationals yet. And yes at that time, he was already talking about the quads.

17. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Thanks! That was a fun read!

18. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

A wonderful Christmas and a great New Year to you too.:D

Some more pictures from Celebration on Ice.

Is Patrick's new exhibition routine a recycling of Kulik's similar number or a recycling of Kurt's red hat program?;)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8218/8280169794_7e49638e3d_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8280223024_d14fa0c229_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8279053567_e5baefde96_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8352/8280113270_251d5740b7_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanmckinnon/sets/72157632262147369/

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/278085_445006908881960_274987524_o.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-Xr59PCUAA4ofT.jpg:large

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Have a Merry Christmas everyone....and a safe holiday season :)

20. spikydurian

Thanks VarBar. I hope Patrick's new EX is different from Kulik's and Kurt's hat program. I also hope Patrick will get a new costume for this hat program. IMO, I didn't like this costume. :(
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8352/8280113270_251d5740b7_b.jpg
    I love this pix. The four Champs and they all look great and such wonderful comradeship.:swoon: Would be nice if this is a poster with the Champs' autographs.

21. naan

naan New Member

I agree with you about the costume. Tess, why don't you give him an advice? ;) He's so cute though.
    What a great pix of 4 Kings! :swoon:

22. luckiest1

Love the 4 champs picture. I used to be an Elvis fan, before he started sounding so bitter about the sport. He has redeemed himself a bit lately for me. I liked Patrick's new hat exhibition program, it was quite well done. But I really love his Kingdom Come program. Perhaps not something that gets the audience going, but it's gorgeous. I am so glad I attended Celebration On Ice! It's such a shame it wasn't televised.

23. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Love the picture as well.

Happy birthday Patrick. All the best in 2013. Good health, success and happiness and of course perfect jumps!

24. spikydurian

It's the New Year coming... let's forgive and give everyone a hug. Maybe, Elvis was misinterpreted ... you know how the press can manipulate the outcome by printing some and not all of what is being said thereby throwing the whole interview out of context. It happened to Patrick too.

Yes, luckiest1. TKC shows off Patrick's edges and smooth skating and as the song itself is not a dramatic or upbeat piece of song/music, it takes time to grow on the audience. I can't wait to see the vid download of his hat Ex ... most likely at the Canadian Nationals.

I just noticed that Patrick, Elvis and Jeff had a great set of teeth (can't see Kurt's). And was that Patrick's hand .... seem to be trying to tickle Jeff's neck.:lol:...:p

Emdee, nice of you to remember Patrick's birthday and sending him good wishes before you go away on your beach and sunshine holiday. Enjoy!

25. luckiest1

Yes, forgive and hug works for me. :) Still love Elvis' skating, and was so happy with his Christmas themed program at COI. So nice for me to see my old fave (Elvis) and my new fave (Patrick) skating together! Now I am counting down the days until the Canadians in Mississauga.

26. PCFan

PCFan New Member

27. spikydurian

Happy birthday to Patrick. Hope he has lots of fun on his special day. :nopryde::40beers:

Thanks PCFan. Lucky those who attended the COI got to see his new Ex first.

Article on Buttle and here's an extract regarding Patrick's SP and Ex. It is not easy to change an Ex into an SP but I think Buttle has done a great job. This program, and as Buttle has rightly pointed out, managed to show case Patrick's beautiful edges and incredibly fast and powerful yet seemingly light and easy skating skills.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

29. luckiest1

I always remember Patrick's birthday. He is exactly 6 months older than my youngest son. :) Not to mention it's New Years Eve...hope he has a great one! Thanks for that youtube link to the new hat exhibition program, PCFan!

30. PCFan

PCFan New Member

Happy Birthday Patrick! I can't wait to see you :kickass: in the New Year.