Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

I'm not sure he will actually be there. Generally for sectionals (esp. in COS), every skater in the section is automatically registered but those with byes don't generally attend?
    I could be totally wrong of course. You might not be missing him skate though!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Patrick would skate at COS this weekend. Unless he is in the Toronto area and wants to have another shot at getting his programs in front of judges before he heads to France?
  3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

What you say sounds correct. Are you going as the photographer?

I will be away on holiday so wont be able to attend in any event.
  4. luckiest1

If I knew for certain he would be there, I'd go in a heartbeat. But I really don't want to make the trip if he's not.
  5. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Yeah, Luckiest 1, me too. But the hour is daunting in terms of travel. And it's only a week to EB, so why he would allow a disruption is a mystery unless he has, as Emdee suggested, other reasons for being in To. The event will be live streamed, and struggling to the computer is a lot easier than struggling to Thornhill, and nothing lost if he doesn't show. Some retailer is advertising a give away to see him live though on twitter. Plus I'll also be watching the NHK on computer. But I've already seen the programs live at Skate Canada. Also there is the dreaded netting at Thornhill....
  6. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

If a retailer is offering deals then I am sure he will be there. Maybe its a chance for his Chinese clientele to see him and not too far from his home.
  7. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see any reason why Patrick would want to do that. He already showed his Four Seasons to an international panel of judges at Skate Canada and I think he can be happy with the marks he got for what he put on the ice in Saint John.

8.15 and 8.35 really are odd hours. I have a lot of trouble to believe that Patrick would be skating his short program as of 8.15 and then taking the ice again just fifteen minutes later for the long program. Unless someone would want to have him take a test of endurance and he can't say no. lol Or is it different days? Or maybe he will be in Thornhill but signing autographs, not skating. Although I have to wonder what the attendance would be so early in the morning.

I listened and totally agree with you.:)
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Different days. Saturday and Sunday. the schedule is on the Central Ontario Sectionals at the Skate Canada site.
  9. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Sorry, I missed the heading "practice. " I just checked and the competition is 8. something PM Saturday, and 12.15 PM Sunday. That makes the trip out a little bit more do=able - if there is any chance he might actually show, though I agree with VarBar that it makes little sense. Nam, Andrew and other usual suspects are also on deck.
  10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Mr. Colson would be proud.
    I can only imagine what this program will look like in Sochi.
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I guess it's a promotional appearance rather than skating? Makes sense since he's a local boy. I heard Detroit is relatively near to Toronto so driving home over the weekend seem doable if the promotion is important enough. Or he may be spending the last week training in Toronto and fine tuning his choreography with Wilson? Ok, ok.. I am just guessing. Will see come this weekend.:)

I think so too. Mr Colson wouldn't have regretted taking Patrick as his last student. I remember in one of his final interview with Kurt Browning, he emphasized the importance of 'nurturing the embryo'. Here's young Patrick with Mr Colson. And Kurt had a lot more hair then. Orser looked slimmer and of course, younger. :lol:
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  12. luckiest1

I have had a response from the retailer on Facebook that said "that's the word on the ice!" (that he will skate). I still wonder, though, if they are just using the fact that his name appears on the roster to try and bolster their competition. I pulled up the skate order and his name does not appear on it (7 rather than 8 skaters listed). I also tweeted PJ Kwong and she said she had sent a tweet to try and find out if he was really going to appear. So hopefully we will know prior to Saturday. It's a good 2.5 hour drive for me each way, but I'll do it if he's definitely going to be there.
  13. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

^^ London is only 2.5 hours from Toronto? Not very far but I assume you will stay overnight at your mum's house in Thornhill? (I remember your mum's from Thornhill/Toronto right?). That's nice of PJ to find out. Hmmm.... 'that's the word on the ice' doesn't sound very reassuring.:lol:
  14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Spiky,
    Detroit is about 5 hours.
    But he will probably leave for Paris early next week out of Toronto so makes sense for him to come in a day or two earlier and see his parents/Wilson/do promotions etc.
  15. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

True, emdee, but either the start order will be updated to include him in advance of the event- or it won't. I feel guilty for starting this now, but I got excited when I saw PJ's retweet of the ad. I hope she can find out for sure.
  16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Corianna,
    Dont feel guilty.... we need something to discuss in our down time between competitions.....

The women of the VM thread have endless things to say ( all good no doubt) -- here, we just live for watching him skate, re-looking at his programs or discussing his appearances.
  17. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

And this group is so much less bitchy than the others. For instance, no one has suggested that the other skaters in SC might consider getting a dance coach. I like seeing the good relationship between Kathy and Patrick together, and she has helped his performance. Maybe it's time we started defending her.
  18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Now that is a good topic of discussion.
    I am coming round to this point of view after seeing the tremendous improvement in him. I do hope and pray that he has a jumps coach as well to give him some confidence in his 3A as well.
    Even now LT is gone from GS ( privately know as Lets Bitch) there are others who wield the knife and give it a twist constantly!
  19. luckiest1

I love V/M but I am just not uber enough to follow that thread, I guess. I am not really all that into ice dancing, I just know what I like and V/M are exquisite. I've been watching them since they were youngsters here in London, as guest skaters etc.

Corianna, I am glad you started us talking about Thornhill because I would have been heartbroken if Patrick were to skate and I didn't know about it. My opportunities to see him skate live are dwindling rapidly.....all I have left is Ottawa in January...I so wish I had been able to go to Skate Canada. My hopes are up about post-Olympics seasons now, after the mentions of interviews where he said he was considering sticking around for more Canadian/World titles. Does anyone have links to those interviews, BTW?

ali-dorate, my mom lives in a suburb of Toronto, and Thornhill is not too far north of there. So yes I would stay at her house overnight if I were to make the drive in. I am also only about 2 hours from Windsor/Detroit, so I am pretty conveniently located.

ETA: New article on Elladj Balde that has Patrick mentions and quotes.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

It was our Ozzie friend Spiky who said this!
  21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Nice article on Balde.

We saw quite a bit of their camaraderie at Skate Canada practices.
    Why the heck dont I lose any weight when I eat Quinoa....
  22. luckiest1

Oops, of course it was! Sorry.

I laughed about the quinoa too. I can't imagine cooking it differently makes you lose weight, but what do I know....
  23. Fort

Fort New Member

I'm going to guess it was more about the amount he was eating. Quinoa expands so much when cooked (properly) and while I can't say I'll ever test the theory, perhaps that also makes it more filling. If Balde was eating as much in one day as Chan was eating in a week, that's quite the calorie intake, cooked or not!
  24. luckiest1

Just got a tweet back from Skate Canada COS - Patrick is not skating in Thornhill, he has a bye (which we knew). So that retailer is just using his name on the roster to try and boost their contest.
  25. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

We can sleep in then, after being up all night watching NHK on live stream. I note, by the by, that's being broadcast on Japan TV -channel 829 on Rogers. which we Canadians can probably get for $2.98 from our internet provider. It doesn't seem to be live though- rather a rebroadcast in prime time. But it does look like the whole event as opposed to the CBC highlights.
  26. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Thanks Corianna.
    I will keep that in mind for the Grand Prix Final.
  27. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Not this year, I wasn't asked. :) I don't think they're having a photographer this year because sectionals is often not a profitable comp for vendors.
  28. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Ah.. well spoken, Emdee. Patrick brought us together and I am grateful to have known you all. It is an ‘interesting’ journey with Patrick particularly last season. I hope to meet up with some of you some day in the future. One can hope can’t we? :) Looking forward to Emdee’s visit to Down Under and hoping to meet up with ali_dorate in Japan.

I am an optimist and am sure there is/are someone keeping an eye on his technical skills. Based on his interviews, it is obvious he didn’t really train much last season due to crowded skating rink and other reasons. But that’s over and done with. He’s happy with his new environment and skate at Skate Canada so one can assume he’s on track with his training plan and goals. Our Patrick is a ‘big boy’ now.
  29. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Speaking of nourishment, my eye doesn't perceive Patrick any thinner than he was last season and I think his body is maturing nicely. But I am a little concerned though that The Four Seasons might be too physically demanding even for a well trained athlete like Chan. He really ran out of steam during the second half of his choreographic sequence, he was even grimacing because of the effort he was making to carry the program through the end and his final spin combination was all over the place. Patrick said he has a few breathing points in his LP but I can only see one and it's not like he was just stroking around the rink doing nothing with his blade and his body at that point in the performance. Hopefully his stamina will improve as the season progresses.

If Chan makes mistakes on the jumps because he doesn't have a technical coach, you have to wonder why most of the other skaters who do work with technical coaches every day aren't any more consistent than Patrick. Maybe those skaters would actually need two or more technical coaches in their respective teams to fix their issues?;)
    Japanfan and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

31. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Next week is going to tell us a lot, and I can feel my nerves building already. I agree with Emdee, that he did look truly stressed at Thornhill, and was far more exhausted at the end there than he was at SC. He referred to the programme as a mountain to climb- and he's much further along at this point, though still a ways from the top. Overall, I'd say he was pleased with his progress, so we can be too. Except of course, we like fussing over him... and since we're at a safe distance, we can indulge ourselves. It was a delight to see him happy, relaxed, and confident. I've replayed the interview with Jeff a couple of times just to hear the giggles and see the smile.
  32. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

33. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

^^^ Thanks skatesindreams. I hope Patrick will be able to fulfil his final promise to Mr Colson. This legendary man will always be part of Patrick – and Patrick’s incredible skating skills will always be known as the ‘labour of love and belief’ from Mr Colson.

I like the way we fuss around Patrick :lol:…..because we care. I hope he hears our ‘worries and support’. Yes, besides his 3A (to make it works on the day it counts) he should be aware that his demanding program needs him to be in tip top physical condition in order to execute everything well. His program is impossible to complete without will and skill. He certainly was struggling to complete it because his last spin was ‘all over the place’.

Bringing Balde’s article here again together with a past article on Max Aaron. A Patrick fan from GS, Skatefiguring, mentioned some time ago that there was a trend that whoever trains with Patrick tend to improve and do better than before. (Besides Balde and Max, I think the other skater was retired Ryan Bradley). I find SF’s comment interesting in hindsight because it is proven to be true to some extent. Of course, Balde and Max have the determination and skills to learn and succeed too. I find both Max and Balde’s comments regarding their training with Patrick heart-warming. It is heartening to know that they are respectful of each other despite competing against each other. Such peer respect in sports seem to be diminishing by the day and over taken by the attitude, win at all costs. Look at how players turned on each other in the field followed suit by some fans.

Happy to see the positive synergy from Balde’s loveable personality and Patrick’s respect towards his training mate/s. Go guys!:respec:
  34. luckiest1

Loved reading that old article about the 16 year old Patrick. Thanks skatesindreams.
  35. aglee

aglee New Member

Heh. I noticed that trend as well. First Bradley came from nowhere to win Nationals, and then Aaron did the same two years later. It bodes well for Abbott's chances this year.
  36. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Try to stay calm, Corianna.:)

I just hope Patrick will keep a positive attitude for TEB and enjoy competing there like he did at Skate Canada where he didn't seem to particularly care about results. He actually says in a post-SP interview that he is approaching his first competitions this season as just stages in his preparation for next year's Olympics and is focusing on the performance side of his long program and building energy rather than completing all his jumps, so it doesn't really matter that much to him if he wins or loses in the GP series.
  37. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I try to do some 'mental chanting' in order to calm my nerves, Corianna. So far, it works quite well. It helps to keep my mind focussed on the positive rather than let my nerves get the better of me. It's like counting sheep.:lol: I may not be able to watch TEB live streaming as the competition starts at odd hours over my end so maybe.... I can stay away from the 'mental chanting' this weekend. :lol:

I think that is the way to go, VarBar. When one is focussed too much on 'winning', everything falls apart when it things go wrong (not to say that he shouldn't aim to win which is not true since the sacrifices and training all these four years lead to Sochi). The process is more important than the goal.

I too hope Abbot does well in the U.S. Nationals and get to go to Sochi. The U.S. Nationals for men looks like a dog fight as the top few all have something to offer. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  38. luckiest1

In case anyone missed this picture of moustaches, Patrick tweeted it on Monday and said he was going to shave prior to TEB:

http://t.co/KQIrdawVES

Ha ha, so cute. I can't wait for this weekend.
  39. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  40. luckiest1

I don't know why, but I'm not stressing this time.

A couple of men's practice reports from @Balbeska_k on Twitter:

Patrik LP practice 4T, 3A, 3F+1Lo+3S, 4T+3T, 3A, 2A #TEB2013

Yuzuru LP practice 3S, 4, 1A, 1A, 3+3T, 3T+2Trippon, 4T #TEB2013