Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Patrick just ran through short program. Doubled the quad and axel but both may have been intentional. Lutz looked perfect. The rest was beautiful and not at all shaky.
  2. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Love the new shirt!

http://t.co/DdhdxVCdHN

ETA: texts from friends in the arena say he has landed some clean quads and one triple axel with hand down so far in the practice.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  3. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

4. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Just watched the men practice and thought you'd all be pleased to hear that Michael Slipchuk was at the boards right along side Kathy Johnson, giving Patrick instructions - on the triple axel I think.
  5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the update. Just woke up in time to watch Patrick's LP run through.

blueglass, were you at the rink?

VarBar, I think Patrick was a little behind the music from near the beginning.

luckiest1, that new shirt is nice. Didn't look like a practice wear.
  6. blueglass

blueglass New Member

No, wish I was. I tuned in late to the streaming of the men's practice and saw them after the individual practice sessions. Slipchuk and Patrick were easy to see.
  7. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Hmm, no, I don't think he was, spiky.:)
  8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Was there a problem with jumps....did he do any quads? I didn't see any in the run thru and missed the 1st practise.
  9. luckiest1

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Patrick completed the second quad in his LP run through (after he tripped and fell, of course :)). He landed a few quads throughout practice. His quads are solid. His 3A was less secure.
  11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you.............kind of sets my minds at ease :lol: I hope you are both enjoying yourselves. I've been to the last 3, but couldn't go this year.
  12. luckiest1

clarie, I'm not in NB, I'm at work. I'm just a bad, bad girl. ;)
  13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thank you for being such a "bad girl" ;)
  14. luckiest1

15. sequins

sequins New Member

Good skate by Patrick, gah I love that program :swoon:Too die for!
  16. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:lol: too bad about the quad but I was more relieved he landed a beautiful 3A.
  17. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Usually I don't like it when a skater uses their old program, but I love Elegy and this is a great program. I could listen/watch all day and not get tired.
  18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Not his best, but certainly better than last year I think. He didn't have enough speed going into the quad....smart move to do the 3/3 instead. Skating skills are sublime as usual. Here's hoping he has a great skate tomorrow with that new program.
  19. fscric

fscric Active Member

Too bad about the quad, other than that it's such a gorgeous programme. And I love the new costume, so much better than last year's.

Here's hoping for a great skate tomorrow.
  20. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

That step sequence is crazy amazing.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. luckiest1

I was thrilled with the skate last night. I love the "new, calm" Patrick. ;) Gorgeous triple axel, wasn't expecting him to land that cleanly so I was v.v. happy. I hope we see a quad (or two) tonight!
  22. spikydurian

Me too, luckiest1. If he indeed turned his quad into a 3-3 due to lack of speed, it just shows 'he is well trained' to be able to change course and think on his feet. I feel proud like a mama.:D
  23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It also goes to show that a skater can win the short without a quad which he did.
  24. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I do think this new philosophy clearly reflected in Patrick's skating last night. He looked relaxed and really attacked the program.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/patrick-chan-wins-skate-canada-short-program-20689138

But I hope it's the last time I see him pop a quad though. lol
  25. SGrand

SGrand New Member

Great job Patrick! And great attitude to have.

On a side note, reading that article made me laugh, Gracie talking about how Frank has almost a century of figure skating experience (and him yelling HALF A CENTURY from the back of the room). Too cute!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Count me in as another who's happy that Patrick has found some peace in competing. That 'century' remark stopped me in my tracks! Hilarious :)
  27. SGrand

SGrand New Member

I really hope he keeps his mindset here and stays calm and enjoys himself, maybe last night will prove something to him and give him some solace and mental edge he seems to lack sometimes. These guys put so much pressure on themselves, they have to realize they may not always win the medal they want (or even win a medal), but they can still win our hearts with great performances.
  28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The margin of lead he has over the other skaters should hopefully help him stay focused and relaxed for the Free Skate
  29. puglover

puglover Active Member

He sounds so much happier and it showed in his skating. Way to go Patrick.
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  30. luckiest1

That program gave me chills tonight. Before Patrick, I was a huge Elvis fan, and this program gives me the same feeling as Elvis' Dragon did back in 1994. It's just perfect for him, and to see him smiling during the footwork was amazing. It's so wonderful to see him skating happy again. I can't wait to see this one in person in Ottawa. :) :) :)
  31. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I am still amazed that how often he would surprise me in the direction of his footwork. So many times I thought he lost his balance but nope he's just skating in the opposite direction because he is masterful in controlling his skates.
  32. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am thrilled for Patrick and am eagerly awaiting the evolution of his programs over the season. :kickass:
  33. spikydurian

34. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

The footwork sequence was beyond amazing. He was very tired, popped a jump and reduced some jump rotations. I think he has decided that its better not to fall. I prefer when he goes for broke .....

Loved his long. The music and how he relates to it is spectacular. Cannot understand anyone saying he lacks musicality.
    He said that David Wilson also learned under Colson and together they developed this program.

What a way to end the evening.
  35. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean....detractors don't realize how hard that is and it's why he gets those marks.
  36. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

This is a great start to the season for Patrick.

It wasn't perfect - he still has more to build on over the next few months. But it was still a strong skate. He needed a decisive win here to show that he's back on track, and he did exactly that. I'm so proud of him. And the program is fantastic.

Also this interview with Jeff is hilarious.
  37. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kind of get the feeling that he thinks it better to "stay clean" and do a jump with fewer revolutions rather than falling down and getting perhaps a better score but also once again the recipient of scorn by those who think winner=clean (although there are still those who say if you downgrade a jump then you aren't clean).

ETA: just watched that video where Jeff interviewed Patrick. Jeff handling not one but TWO microphones only to realize that Patrick had one of his own as well (or so it seemed to me). The music Patrick is using is the year he won his first Canadians and who did he beat to win -- Jeff Buttle! They both had a chuckle about that memory.
  38. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Great start to his international season; some really astonishing movements throughout (that step sequence was beyond insane) and his speed is astonishing.
  39. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I find Patrick is so much better live.
    Now I am so sorry that I won't be at TEB....but at least I will see him at Nats.

It's such a beautiful program!
  40. fscric

fscric Active Member

So happy for Patrick!