Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

One needs to have a goal in order to be able to attain it.
  2. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think that a lot know they are not in the running for an OGM before the competition begins, and I don't mind if somebody wants to fight for the OGM . . . but that word "elusive" coupled with OGM is like setting somebody up for unfinished business. Fighting, competing, striving, etc. for the the OGM is good . . . but feeling like it is all but in your hands is not.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  3. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I think you have misunderstood me - by elusive I meant it seems to be somewhat unattainable - particularly for Canadian men. I don't see where I suggested it was all but his :(
    I remember Browning saying after his first world title that he went into it thinking "well someone is going to win this thing, so why not me?" That's a healthy attitude for a competitive skater. So I hope Patrick is thinking something along those lines.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. bardtoob

Fair enough. I hope nothing more for Patrick but a beautiful performance that wins an OGM. Canada has produced many lovely skaters, and Patrick is not the least of these.
  5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I don't see the fuss about the word 'elusive'. Contrary to what you perceived, IMO, elusive means 'hard to achieve/attain' as blueglass explained. So how you come to understand that blueglass meant that it is something to be achieved soon is baffling. Perhaps you prefer to see it that way?

I am sure most of us will agree that at least five skaters have equal chance of medalling in Sochi and Patrick is being one of them. So is there anything wrong if he thinks he stand a chance to medal?
  6. bardtoob

Of course "what perceived" is different than "IMO", that is "in [your] opinion" . . . and it was discussed and clarified in forum before you posted, and so why it continued to be baffling to you is baffling to me.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. bardtoob

I am not so certain that so many agree that so many skaters have an equal chance, but Patrick is certainly one of the skaters with a chance if he performs well.
  8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be completely wrong to say that five or six skaters have equal chances of medaling at the Olympics. Personally at this point I can see any of Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, Takahashi, Ten and even Plushenko going home from Sochi with an Olympic medal under his belt. Also, if we look at the results at the last three World Championships, we see that the silver and bronze medalists were different every year, so I wouldn't rule out a surprise medal winner in Russia either.:)
  9. Suze

Suze New Member

Patrick is simply too good of a skater not to win at least one Olympic medal. It is nearly impossible to predict who and in what order the medallists will be at Sochi's men's competition but I'll be crushed if Patrick is not in the top three.
  10. spikydurian

These are also the five men I have in mind, VarBar. I must admit I am also a fan of Kozuka and I do hope he can medal too. I wish there are at least five medals to share!:)
  11. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

So, a six way tie then? Perfect.
  12. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Liking the way you think :D
  13. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

What I really think is that I want Patrick to win, but I don't want the others to lose.
  14. spikydurian

I wouldn't mind at all! There will be many happy fans and less whinging? :p
  15. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

Idk there is so much focus (from Patrick and the media) on winning GOLD that I feel like even if Patrick won silver it would be a disappointment. From the way he's been speaking lately, it seems like Patrick wants gold and nothing less. This could go both ways. On the one hand, he obviously has the drive and determination to reach this goal. On the other, it can also create too much pressure if the focus is on the gold medal and nothing else.

I think that Patrick will be devastated if he doesn't win... so hopefully he does! :D

IKR? All of the top contenders are so great this time around. I wish that everybody could win.
  16. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

What is IRK?
  17. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I took IKR = I know, right? :p No idea if that's correct though.
    I just want him to medal. Please. I don't care what colour.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. totoro8673

totoro8673 New Member

I just hope that Patrick will have a medal he wants in Olympic.
  19. spikydurian

Hey luckiest1, aren't you clever! I couldn't figure out what it was. So IDK is I don't know? :lol:
  20. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

lol yes it's "I know right?" and "I don't know"
  21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

22. spikydurian

Thanks VarBar. Couldn't hear what he was saying. He looks serious.:lol:
  23. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Not sure if having your girlfriends mother as your coach is what i would call preparation. It might have helped if she was an actual figure skating coach. I get the feeling Patrick is calling all the shots now since he probably got tired of Christine Krall pushing him which is what he still needs.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  25. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat to see that smile!
  27. spikydurian

Yes! That's our PChiddy with his signature smile. :) :) He does worry me when he looks serious.

Just another article I picked up on Patrick recently. (Note sure whether this was posted elsewhere.) At least Steve Buffery chose a nicer pix not one where the skater is jumping or spinning. :D

Corianna, I am with you in relation to his costume for Vivaldi. I hope Tu Ly will design something simple for his FS. There is no character involved in this program so maybe an all black or dark blue with minimum fuss will bring out his lines, speed and skating skills.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

If Patrick skates badly at the upcoming Skate Canada, we will worry for his chances in Sochi one more time and if he skates well, we will wonder if he hasn't peaked too early in the season and will worry he won't be able to repeat when it counts. Seems like supporting a skater is a lot about worrying. :lol:

Practicing the 4 salchow jump. Just for the fun of it, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_XPHvWvalM
  29. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

Haha pretty much.

I hope he skates well but not too well??? However, I do think that Patrick is the type of skater who does better when he's feeling confident and he has been skating well throughout the season.
  30. spikydurian

Yes he certainly sounds well prepared this season and is confident of his own progress. I watched his new LP several times over and think that that it's almost there like he said. Of course, the jumps were not in place but like what VarBar predicted earlier, I too didn't expect him to put all his jumps in place at Thornhill.

Yes VarBar, I guess I am just a worrywart.:lol:
  31. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

That quad sal video says it's private. Is it new?

I don't expect perfection at Skate Canada. I hope he gets two solid skates under his belt, ones that he is happy with for this point in the season, so he can continue to build. Much less stress this year for me, watching it from home! ;)
  32. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry you couldn't see the jump, luckiest1. That video sure wasn't private and already had several hundreds of views when I found it and linked it here. Seems like they put the clip onto youtube just a few days ago but I have no idea when and where exactly Chan was taped landing a clean and fully rotated quadruple salchow jump. I've understood Patrick has been in Toronto lately. A couple of tweets reported him as attending the Toronto Film Festival and it looks like he worked with Jeffrey at a Toronto ice rink the other day.

Stephanie Jenzer ‏@StephJenzer 23h
    hottest day in weeks in toronto & I get to spend morning at the rink with @Pchiddy & @J_Butt 4 future Sochi doc #cbc

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT0c8aBCMAAr-nk.jpg:large
  33. spikydurian

I am looking forward to the Sochi documentary. I think they filmed V&M and other Canadian skaters too. I want to see them all. :cheer:

Yes luckiest1. Sorry you missed that vid. It was a good jump IMO. When I watched it, I think there were were not many viewers because it was released only a couple of days ago. I don't think it was supposed to be released to the public! ;) I think the jump was executed during the recent CSOI practice. The rink looked familiar. The Kerrs also released a vid showing Patrick doing a quad++ at the CSOI practice. Whether he will bring the quadS to competition, I assume, will depend how it can help him in the competition and the success rate of that jump. But I think he has improved his quad jumps looking at the ease he executed them lately. What do you think VarBar? I do not know how to count points. :lol: I just enjoy watching skating.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  34. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I think your assumption is correct, spikydurian. Most likely Vancouver.

A side view of Chan's quad sal would have probably helped us see how much ice he covered while being in the air, that is between the take-off spot and the landing spot. But he has made it quite clear that he will not add any new jumps to his programs this season, so I assume it doesn't really matter at this point how high and long his 4S is. lol

Nice shoes, Patrick.:cool:

http://ca.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/2013/09/09/000/074/867/gallery_3_5.jpg
  35. spikydurian

36. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

He is a cool interviewer/host of a cool CBC talk/current affairs/arts show called Q for CBC television. The name is Jian Ghomeshi.
  37. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

And he is hawt!!!
  38. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

39. spikydurian

What is Patrick doing in Canton? Looks like he did some skating at the rink too.
  40. spikydurian