Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Luckies !, I would happily join you. I'm in 117, row d. Seat 13. I have your section but not your seat number. I'll come to the top of 112b and look for you after the Women's - toarrange a meet.

2. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Awesome Corianna, I am in row J seat 9. First row above the kiss and cry. See you soon.

3. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Patrick didn't blame his mistake on the Lutz on tripping on something, he just assumed he didn't have enough speed going into the jump. I for one am tempted to believe it's actually all in his head.

I really feel badly for him, he must be utterly disappointed in his skate and wondering what's going on, he put so much work in it in training and still failed to deliver a clean or near clean performance in competition. Very frustrating indeed.:(

4. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Relax, I am sure that he has moved on. He tends to peak at Nationals, so I think that last night skate was a good sign. Tracy Wilson said that he has been having difficulty skating in a North American size rink. That could have been part of the problem.

5. sequins

sequins Active Member

As we all know barring an epic disaster Patrick is winning here so I don't think it's so bad. 2 double jumps, every thing else was fine. As everyone says he peaks at Nationals. He's usually amazing so it's a good reminder, a kick in the butt to keep going, keep working hard, you're not there yet. I'm sure he's disappointed but in the grand scheme of things, what does it really mean? It's not Sochi and that is where he wants perfection, not now. Nice every time, but not realistic. So here's hoping he has a great skate today and enjoys every moment, they don't come along everyday.:)

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  6. luckiest1

Men's practice at alternate arena...Patrick looking very solid as he warms up each triple jump, prior to his run through.

Eta: quads also solid, partial run through with music, quad, 3 axel and other triples all there. Great practice session, so glad I went over.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. fscric

fscric Active Member

Any report on Patrick's performance? I just got the score from Skate Canada's tweet, did Patrick miss anything?

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Tripled his second quad. He also got negative GOE on the loop.

9. sequins

sequins Active Member

Again not his best but darn good. Triple axel was awesome. After missing the second quad he just friggin' attacked it and it was a beauty! Quite shaky tonight but congrats anyways on #7 Paddy!:)

10. fscric

fscric Active Member

Thank you. I hope Patrick is saving his best for Sochi.

11. luckiest1

I think I almost lost a tonsil screaming when he landed that axel. LOL. When he popped the second quad I just knew he would go after it with a vengeance, and he did. He fought through the whole program, you could see he wasn't exactly "on" but he did it when it counted and I was so so happy for him. It was really awesome during the medal ceremonies later to see him interact with the different skaters, coaches and officials near the kiss & cry area. He even shook Kristy's hand when she was there as Liam's coach (which made me feel so much better as I hadn't seen him so much as glance at her all week). Dylan Moscovitch gave him a huge hug when he came off the ice. Patrick and Scott & Tessa did a triple high five, and he and Scott hugged very tight for a long time. So so proud of all of our Canadian athletes going to Sochi!

12. Clytie

Clytie Member

He wasn't perfect but he got a standing ovation which you could see made him happy. None of the men were, it was that kind of night.
    Its my first time seeing him live and what I noticed is how smooth/fluid he is, and how he just sinks into the ice with his knees. It was a stark contrast to the other men. I was happy he nailed the axel. I think not being perfect will really motivate him to keep pushing for Sochi.

And yes he and Scott seemed really chummy in the kiss n' cry area. Have they always been or just since Patrick moved to Detroit?

13. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks luckiest for the update. I have been out the whole day and just got back to check the results.

It is heartening to see that Canadian skaters are so supportive of each other which sometimes may be rare in a world of cut throat competition. They are an excellent example to the the younger generation. I am always peeved when I see players 'misbehaving themselves' (sometimes including parents) and it tends to turn me off the games/sport. Maybe I am just a die hard idealist when it comes to be civility. Scott and Patrick had skated together ever since they were young kids and the relationship nurtured through these years would not be forgotten. Glad to hear that he shook hands with Krall. Someone posted that it was Patrick who recommended Liam to seek Krall's help in getting quad training according to a Liam's relative. That is very telling the type of person he is. I am proud of him. :)

I wish I was there with you all. Unfortunately, Emdee didn't strike lottery otherwise she would have flown me there.:D

I wish he has skated better like in France but then again, I would be worried that he had peaked at the wrong time. He certainly could do it without errors. Just need to get his mental preparation right.

I think they have always been good chums. I have seen many past training vids of both of them and their interactions is telling of a good relationship.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Spiky, I wish you could have been there too. I met your friend Emdee and she is delightful. We didn't have much time but took some pictures, so you'll be getting to see what some of us look like after a Saturday marathon at the arena :). Patrick is very special and I had to see him live one last time. It was a treat as always. I don't know where the power comes from but I'm always amazed at his speed and fluidity. The footwork section of both programs was mesmerizing. I hope the Sochi rink is larger than NHL size. He just needs more room lol.

15. sequins

sequins Active Member

Well according to V/M reality show Scott has known Patrick(or Chiddy as both he and Tessa call him:))since he was 13 and took him to his first night club(not at that age I'm hoping:lol:). Says he's like Patrick's big brother. Seems like he likes to pick on him. Tessa too said she got to know him really well on SOI and they seem to be really good friends as well.

16. luckiest1

Currently we are sitting in the dark arena waiting for gala practice to start. Lol. They are running very late, but at least they let us in! It was dicey for a few minutes.

17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

luckiest1, you are amazing. Thank you so much for all your live reports.:)

18. luckiest1

Yw. Patrick was able to practise the finale number after the press conference this morning. We were able to watch the Olympic selection on a big screen in one of the restaurants here. Patrick spoke in French, Scott and Tessa in English.

19. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Happy to see Jeremy won the US Nationals. Seems to me that Pchiddy and Jeremy have a great working relationship. Now that Elidj isn't on the Canada Team he will have another good friend to hang around with him.

20. fscric

fscric Active Member

Me, too. I remember there's a poll thread about who among the US men are going to Sochi and Rippon led the poll by a landslide, I was very surprised and wished Abbott would win the National so that USFSA couldn't kick him off the team, I'm very happy I got my wish that Abbott and Brown are going, they are the best 2 US skaters.

I'm hoping for a podium finish of Patrick, Jeremy and Jason (in that order :)).

21. luckiest1

I was also thrilled for Jeremy! I had hoped that Elladj could make the Olympic team, purely because I thought it would be good for Patrick. But Jeremy will also be helpful, I think. Plus, I love Jeremy's skating. Still haven't been able to find his free program online, but I will be home this afternoon and I should have it PVRed.

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

girlscouse, don't forget W&P who train with Patrick in Detroit. Having said that, W&P was expected to take the second berth in Dance. Yes, Patrick would have loved to have Balde too but we all know the third berth in Men would be a fight between Balde, Firus, Ten and Andrei. :(

clarie, you are soo much younger than you claimed to be ;) and I didn't forget your orange jacket which you wore at the last Worlds. And BKF ..... just as sweet as I could imagine her to be! I am sooo happy and delighted to have met you ALL virtually . Thanks Emdee. :cheer2:

I am still waiting for all the Canadian Nationals vids to be downloaded. Nothing yet so far ....

Here's Patrick looking smart in a suit.

23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Spiky, we were all wishing you could have been there. I wear the orange jacket so my sweetee can find me in a crowd lol.

24. luckiest1

25. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

26. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I was at the end of the arena where Patrick does the SP 3Lz and it was easy to see that he didn't have enough speed going into it - I swear I could almost see the thought running across his face :) The 3axel is a head game, but isn't it for everyone? Everything else that he did was unbelievably good - I've never seen him look so sure on his skates - call me impressed! The LP quad/triple was so explosive that it scared my friend - she wasn't expecting it! I think Patrick needs to stop thinking and just do it - you can see that he worries about everything. I was really hoping Eladj would be the third pick for the team - his triple axels and quad attempt are what in my mind earned it - my friend, who only understands performance, not technical details thought so too.

27. sequins

sequins Active Member

I like Elladj, I really do but I would've went with Liam. I agree with Tracy, Elladj needs to work on his presentation. He is such a fun guy, so much personality but in that performance I didn't see any of it. I was actually quite surprised. Liam has so many wonderful qualities and I'm so glad he was able to do this after his injury. He has so much potential and this will be a great learning experience for him. Tracy said he reminds her of Patrick and I never noticed before but she's right.

28. Proustable

Proustable New Member

For the record, only two entrants may switch.

29. luckiest1

For me, Liam is like the love child of Elvis Stojko (facial similarities) and Patrick Chan (skating similarities). I am thrilled for him to get this experience, because I think he has a bright future.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Liam is like a very young Patrick - though I believe he is but two years younger than Patrick. I think he will be a successor to PC though maybe Kev will hang in for a couple of championships. Of course my 'baby' Roman is there in the wings but alas I have to wait for him to grow up a bit!