Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I can't help but think there's something fishy going on, and look where the competition was.......doesn't that say anything? It does to me.

2. fscric

fscric Active Member

While I'm happy that Patrick recovered from yesterday so well, I can't help but disappointed by the result.

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Of course I too am disappointed , especially because he should have won the free. Hanyu's PCS were too inflated for his program/ability.
    Hanyu's skate was raw and explosive though so it did carry one along.

Likely they want to create a competition at the Olys.

On to the Canadians. Yeah. See you there Luckiest1.I have changed my hotel though so lets get together in between sometime.

4. puglover

puglover Active Member

I admire Patrick for not bowing out of this competition and going and competing. I wondered if it would not be better for him to go right from his two perfect skates at TEB to Canadians and then the Olympics. Surely, he has some soreness that he could have used as an excuse. I think the worst thing for him would have been to have won with mistakes as that starts the whole Patrick attack and him endlessly trying to defend himself. I am looking forward to seeing him again at Canadians as well. Go Patrick!!

5. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

I understand how you guys feel.
    But please remember. This is Japan. :lol:
    If Patrick can skate like this in his least luckiest county, imagine how he'll skate in his favorite countries including Russia.
    Patrick must have gained much confidence after this event.

Seeing his back at the victory ceremony, I was overwhelmed to think how much pressure he will have to come thorough on the road leading to Sochi. Maybe it's good for him to be a challenger position.

Anyway I want to celebrate his first happy ending in Japan. I'm delighted to inform you guys that he landed 3A with positive GOE for the first time in his competitions in Japan. Give him a high five!:respec:

I trust Canadian fans will give him the big boost he needs.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  6. totoro8673

totoro8673 New Member

Today Hanyu didn't receive flip e.

7. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

Yuzuru's base value was 8 points higher than Patrick. I guess that is mostly because he does 2 3As and both were in combination and in the 2nd half. He also fell, so Patrick made up some ground with the GOE, but Yuzuru was still 5 points higher on the technical score. Cause for concern maybe.

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I guess this is one reason why Patick talks about putting in two triple axels....

9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

He has a quad salchow but we don't know how consistent it is. And someone did mention even with that in, it may raise his bv only by less than 0.5? Still think it is better to skate the best on every element. Que sera sera.

10. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I think the quad salchow would actually raise his BV by around 7 points. I am sure Patrick will analyze the scores as soon as he gets back home and will make the decision he believes is the right one for him.

11. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I haven't seen his FS yet, but I'm thrilled for him that he pulled a good skate out of the bag. Overall he should be pleased with his ability to set a bad skate aside, which says a lot about his maturity now and will serve him well in Sochi. The Japanese skaters are definitely going to be challenging for gold, but he already knew that. I'm really looking forward to seeing him skate at Canadians.

12. spikydurian

His current programs are pretty good and he seems to have got into the rhythm consistency. Will see what he will do at Nationals. That's the best place to test it out.

13. totoro8673

totoro8673 New Member

Actually I saw Patrick and Hanyu in stadium - Teb live. Two have really different level in skatng and Hanyu can‘t have 90- pcs outside Japan. I think Patrick don't need to have another quad(quad salchow) or 3A. I always think it is the better choice to make clean program in Olympic. Patrick also know that.
    Good luck in Sochi, Patrick!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  14. sequins

sequins Active Member

So why does he get them in Japan? Again, my issues with this 'sport'. It shouldn't matter what country you are in, your marks should reflect what you do, not who you are or where you are at the moment.

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

On the bright side, that's his second, consecutive, clean long program. Looking back into the past 2 seasons, this is actually very exciting.

I am very surprised he didn't at least win the free. But I guess Hanyu doing 2 quads and 8 triples (even with a fall) does have an advantage over Chan with 2 quads and 7 triples (and just 6 here at GPF).

Having said that I think it's dumb to add in a second 3axel or a 4sal at this stage of the Olympic season. I still maintain that if he skates like he did in France he will win the Olympics.

16. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

Exactly. If he wanted to up his technical ability, he should've done it at the beginning of the season (or even last season). Changing something or trying a new element 2 months before the Olympics is way too risky. Patrick has been skating amazing so far this season, and he still holds the WR in the free skate and total score. Stay the course

17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

That's probably the point some of the fans of Chan were trying to make. If turning just one triple toe into a double toe can make a skater of Patrick's incredible skating skills lose the program to a skater with a fall but who completed more triple jumps than him, I would say, yes, this definitely is a cause for concern because it seems that Chan has no room for error at all whereas Yuzuru obviously does.

18. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I am not completely convinced that Hanyu has great competitive nerves, but kudos for his victory this week-end.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Now that I've seen Patrick's skate, I have to say it was well done. It was interesting to hear Kurt on CBC say that that skate was a fight all the way through. He also noticed that Patrick was favouring one leg - hope there's nothing wrong.

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reports, ali_dorate! I hope you had a wonderful time!

Honestly, I was happy to see Patrick have to fight through it today, because it shows him that he can do it under any conditions. I was really, really impressed. also noticed him favouring one leg...i hope that he has a chance to rest it a bit.

Anyways, terrific competition. Awesome job to all the medalists!

21. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I usually don't go with all the 'home country' conspiracy theories, but I do think it is a bit suspicious that Hanyu won the LP. Overall, of course, no question, but Chan should have been the LP winner.

But on a brighter note, Kudos to Oda!! I've always loved Nobu, and it's great to see him recover from a hard fall, skate a great performance and not 'Oda it'.

22. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Someone commented on the affect of traveling on Patrick - well, he does have to travel to Sochi as well. I hope he goes early enough to optimize his adjustment to the time change.

Well, Hanyu too has perfection to duplicate - complete perfection in the SP and near perfection in the LP.

Regardless of whether not Hanya is overscored, it isn't the first time. He went in to the competition as the only man to beat Chan technically and the judges consistently favour him, if you believe you believe it is favouritism rather than fair scores.

I'm a pessimistic Canadian and I fear the Olympic curse on Canadian men will continue in Sochi. Hanyu has a LP technical advantage over Chan in terms of the numbers and it is a stronger advantage than Chan's artistically, if clean goes against clean.

For Chan to win the Olympics he has to have an absolutely perfect SP, to get in the lead. And just doubling his triple after the first quad could cost him the free.

In his interview on Canadian TV he said he would let Hanyu have this one, as he intended to win the Olympics. Fingers crossed that he'll put his money where his mouth is!! Given how much better his skating is than Hanyu's in terms of his maturity and his basics - well, it will be very sad if he gives the Olympics away to Yuzu.

23. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Only provided Hanyu would make mistakes because his SP seems to be worth 99.84 points when skated cleanly against Patrick's just 98.52. Then Patrick's growth potential in the free is not as high as Hanyu's. Chan's TES went up by some 17 points at TEB against Skate Canada but his PCS rose by less than 6 points. By contrast, Hanyu gained as much as 11 points on PCS on his previous competition for a rise in TES of 14-15 points.

Unfortunately, it's much too late now for Patrick to change countries.:(

24. fscric

fscric Active Member

So you think Hanyu deserved those PCS?

25. spikydurian

:fragile:

No, I think the LP should have gone to Patrick as Patrick's complex skating skills is far superior to Hanyu's. But then with the big lead in SP, it would have been difficult for Patrick to catch up with Hanyu in the LP. Hanyu won because he has higher number of difficult jumps. Even though he fell, he still gain marks for that jump.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  26. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

This last bit about Hanyu having room for errors sounds like the same reasoning used in other years regarding Chan when he won competitions with falls. Does this mean Chan has lost 'most favoured status' with the judges?

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Chan's skating, but for a few years now, some have said there are just no men out there who can touch him in PCS. Well, now it appears that someone is out there. Chan doesn't have that buffer...but I'm not convinced that any of those top guys have that buffer. We all know the short program is critical; trying to make up a 10-point deficit without having a top competitor completely implode is almost impossible. Should Chan have won the long? What were the differences in the protocols? Where did Hanyu gain points or Chan give away points?

I found the idea that Chan had such a buffer rather ridiculous, and I believe the same is true of Hanyu. I think if these guys want to win Olympic gold, they are all going to have to be perfect...unless there are a whole lot of implosions.

27. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Many Chan-haters have been whining about GP Skate Canada always favorite Patrick. Well, isn't it obvious that it happened to Russian Cup and now this Final in Japan too? It's just ridiculous that a clean Patrick is now losing to a mistake Hanyu! Hanyu should be NO WHERE close to Patrick in presentation marks. Yet with a fall, he still won the FS? WTF?

28. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Hanyu's SP was way over inflated anyway! So a perfect Patrick in TEB will still scored less than a perfect Hanyu in Japan? In the Short, TES should be close, with a small edge to Hanyu. But PCS wise, Patrick should be way ahead of Hanyu. It's just de javu to me, similar to Russian Cup with those crazy scores from the Russian skaters in Dance and Men.

29. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

I was turned off by Patrick and his comment he "let Hanyu win." Also his comments about not winning in Vancouver bc he was skating for his country, where now he skates for himself. Who says such things? You would think he would get some media training

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Blonde please read the title ....this is a UBER thread. If Patrick turns you off there are numerous haters thread or you.....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013