Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Hey Dani, maybe Emdee can give you a helping hand! Emdee, you can take a lesson or two in photography from Dani. ;)

VarBar, I think Emdee was just guessing that Patrick's music may be Lawrence of Arabia as she remembered Patrick talking about liking the music, and having to choose between LOA or Aranjuez for 2011/12. Patrick also mentioned he liked the music. For all we know, it may not be LOA. :lol: Oh if he is testing his free skate in Thornhill, we will find out soon ... another month's time! Emdee, you are one lucky lady. You gonna watch his FB before any one of us. And wow.. for $6.00/day it's a steal indeed, luckiest1.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Fumie Suguri missed qualifying for Japan Nationals last season by one placement. COS Summer Skate in Thornhill has been live streamed for free (but not archived for on demand viewing) by Skatebuzz/UStream in past years, so let's hope it will be again! :) A separate Thornhill competition discussion/results thread will be started in the Kiss and Cry forum as the time draws nearer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. spikydurian

Yay! :cheer:Thanks for the heads up, Sylvia. I will definitely keep a look out regarding the life streaming. Hopefully, I can access from Australia, and that the streaming is not in the wee hours of the early morning.

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've wanted to post "Patrick Chan" in the 'Skaters who don't get the PCS they deserve' thread so badly!!! But I know that will start fires, so I've refrained... :lol:

lol? Are you being mean to one of my favourite skaters? Getting to see Chan and Oda at an event like this will be wonderful, I'm jealous of all who get to attend! But...

Fumie will be performing at BC Summerskate, I plan to go to see both her short and long program performances. She seems like a sweet person and I admire someone who continues to do what they love, even when people throw negativity their way. She inspires me. :)

5. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

You are better at Ontario geography than I am, Spikey. I live down town and while I have ventured west and east, I have rarely been to the northern reaches of Greater Toronto. I spent an hour or so this morning on line searching for ways to get to Thornhill without a car. (I've given up driving in the city) It's going to be a lot more trouble getting there and back than going to London or Quebec city. It was the same way with another suburban event. There are commuter trains but they don't come back to down town at night. But I've a month to figure it out.
    Cheers. I do hope we meet at an event somewhere, sometime.

6. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

What did I say wrong?:lol:

I can see no other purpose in Patrick doing Thornhill. He'll surely show up if he is healthy - fingers crossed - he never pulled out unless he was really sick/injured and if memory serves it has only happened once since he joined the senior ranks: 2009 Cup of Russia.

LMAO...you have a wonderful sense of humor, PeterG.

No, absolutely not. I was actually thinking of how Chan lost a summer competition to Brandon Mroz in the 2011-2102 season if I am not mistaken. If Brandon could beat Patrick, why couldn't Nobunari, no? lol

Thanks to Sylvia for updating me on Fumie Suguri.

Before I forget, D1 is a training program for athletes from various sports. I learned there are over thirty D1 facilities across US but I couldn't find Chan's location much as I tried. I have limited detective ability, I'm afraid.:lol:

http://www.d1sportstraining.com/home/main/

7. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Well, there's one in Detroit- also one in Col. Springs, but it sounds like this one is new to him. I do wish his few tweets and pics gave a little tiny bit more info.

8. fscric

fscric Active Member

Those who will go to the Thornhill Summer Skate, please report back on his programmes. I also want to know if Team Patrick would make any adjustment to Elegy. Thanks.

9. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Wow what a great lineup. Normally I'd say all the biggies would drop out of Thornhill like they usually do. But there is intense focus on getting programs aired out at the right time and in the right way and in a shortened season of sorts where you have to peak earlier things like travel receive a lot of focus. If Chan is training in Detroit then it really makes sense that he show up to Thornhill.

The roster IS amazing. What's more interesting to me is the number of Canadian Juniors who I would have expected to see on the JGP competing in the senior event. I look at Roman Sadovsky as a prime example. Isn't he like 14? Why would they do this? (sorry...thread drift...)

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

If you have access to the Kiss and Cry forum, there's a general Canadian Summer Competitions info and discussion thread in progress here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Competitions&p=3954560&viewfull=1#post3954560

ETA:
    I just noticed that the Detroit location is on the same street as the Detroit Skating Club.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

No Sylvia I don't have access.

And yes I plan to go however like clockwork something comes up every year in my life when this event happens (e.g. family event out of town) so I'm just expecting to be foiled in my attempt. Crossing my fingers...

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

13. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Corianna, where do you live? Perhaps if you could get yourself on the subway to somewhere in North York I could pick you up? My mom lives near York Mills station....I usually go back and forth between her place and the rink.

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Coriana I am sure there is a bus from finch to the rink.
    If luckiest is going she could easily pick you up and drop you at finch. I am happy to do so on the weekend as well.

15. luckiest1

Corianna, sorry my inbox was full, can you try PMing me again please?

16. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

17. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

Emdee, what is the intersection of the Thornhill rink?

18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure its Bayview and John Street

19. spikydurian

Fortunately, you didn't. Otherwise, I will :lynch: you! ...... :D

Sounds like me too, Corianna. I barely venture into other suburbs unless there is a need too, and I hate driving into the city for obvious reasons. Glad that Emdee and Luckiest1 have offered to pick you up and drop you off the train station so I hope you are able to join them at Thornhill.

Alright, I will try to scrutinise all the pictures with Patrick's one to 'spot the similarities' when I have more time. :lol: But as Corianna said, since this gym sounds 'new' to Patrick and Sylvia's posting a pix of Patrick with Abbot, maybe we can confidently assume he's in Detroit S. C.?
    (Sorry, didn't read Abbot's tweet properly - that Patrick is indeed training in DSC.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  20. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

Thanks, I go to google map, it is on John street.

21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. spikydurian

Thanks VarBar. Patrick looks happy and training hard with fellow elite skaters. Can't wait to hear from those who are going to Thornhill competition about his LP. Counting the days. Brissie is 10 hours ahead of Toronto so I am not sure whether I could stay up late to watch his LP live streaming. :( But I will surely try!!!

23. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

24. spikydurian

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  26. luckiest1

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Oh, my word. That night.....

That was a weird night. We saw Joey Russell outperform Kevin Russell to get a World Championship slot (becoming the first representative of Newfoundland). We saw Shawn Sawyer give the performance of a lifetime - recalling that his choice to comeback wasn't universally supported - everyone had already given him the night. And then there was this. I knew Patrick Chan was brilliant. I knew that season was going to be a struggle and I was prepared for that. But I wasn't prepared for this. I knew he could land quads and I figured his decision to go for a two-quad, 1 triple axel LP was the right choice. But I didn't think it was going to pay off so quickly. I was having heart palpitations throughout and when it was over, the level of adrenalin I had was just insane.

After watching that skate, listen to the earbud commentary provided at the event, featuring Jeff Buttle. The giggles, the cheers, the gasps (the little dash of snark) - the sheer astonishment from these guys..... sends chills down my spine every time.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I too love buttles commentary of that night. I wasn't there but have revisited that program time and time again. There is a shot of Joey and Shawn sitting and waiting for Patrick to skate. All three of them were canadian junior champions..