Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

re: the other skaters' reactions

I agree with Emdee - while Coughlin and Radford were obviously hugely impressed, I think Brezina's face was the most telling. Very much a "well, I'm going to lose, but I'm going to lose to that, so it's okay."

The moments between 0:01 and 4:35

Okay, fine.....

a) The choreo sequence. Everything. The entry is sublime (perfect match of blade and arm movement). The three hops he does back-to-back-to-back. The fact that he seems to burst into a smile every time he enters it. I'd actually like to see him extend the time between the end and the final spin actually - gives it more of an emotional punctuation mark and maybe more stroking will help him in the final spin.

b) Everything leading into the double axel.

c) The choreography between the lutz sequence and the solo lutz.

d) The first two jump passes work with the energy of the music.
  2. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Ok so I will have to see it one more time....already seen it a score of times.
  3. SGrand

SGrand New Member

That's my favourite too, love that part and he just glides and smiles, was so great to see!
    Also right after the 3A, to me that shows such stamina, I would be throwing up by now LOL.
    Love the music change after the last jump combo, you just know it's going to start building and his movement right before the 2A is cool going with the music.
    Then after the 2A, you see that smile I mentioned right before he opens his arms wide, Amazing!!!!
    Yup, then those heel clicks where again, I would throw up.
    So I guess I love it all, this music is beautiful and powerful and really suits him. Oh, and I can't forget the opening quads and the 3A.
    GO PATRICK!!!
  4. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I love the choreo after the triple axel.
    I love it all too!
  5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

The 3A was so strong. And yes, love those heel clicks ... some call the movement brise? I too LOVE the last step sequence. I remember Patrick said in a previous interview that he wanted to concentrate on step sequence in the last part of the program. It looks so light and easy.

Here's Chiddy arriving in Fukuoka. All the best to Patrick. Good thing about competition in Japan is that I don't have to wake up at odd hours to watch the skate.:)
  6. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Smart of him to travel early to have plenty of time to time adjust
  7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Lucky you Spiky. Here is it really early in the morning!
  8. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

9. jettasian

jettasian New Member

10. spikydurian

11. spikydurian

Patrick's Mission Gold - frank with a winning mindset all tuned up.

Quotes from Patrick: It is hard for my parents to let go. A leap of faith to make changes a year before Sochi, and I owe a lot my success to Kathy Johnson. Indeed Patrick. For all the criticisms directed at Kathy, she supported your move to Detroit. It would have taken some sacrifices from her end. You can do. Sochi is closure time. I believe in you. <3
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  12. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Hi all!
    I arrived the arena during the performance of Han Yan.

Didn't see 6 minutes warm-up. So I can't tell his condition tonight. But he was a bit tentative before entering 4T.

Actually I don't expect best performance from him here in Japan. It's good to have a bad day now if he has to have one.

I'm happy I can finally see him this season. I had been worried because I had to cancel some of my tickets i bought this season due to my works and private matters.

I'm afraid this maybe the last competition we can see Patrick in Japan. So I want him enjoy the stay regardless of the result. I'm glad that Japanese fans highly appreciate Patrick's skating.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

Well... Yuzuru has a 12 point lead and somehow scored 99. Not impossible to makeup but it's going to be hard for Patrick to win here.
    Weird that he made the mistake on the lutz.

I'm hoping that he can have a really strong free skate, because this is not the feeling he wants to have from his last international competition before Sochi..
  14. spikydurian

Thanks ali dorate for the update. I am disappointed with his skate and I don't expect him to break records all the time. He did play down expectations in the interview before GPF.

Yes, skating678, 12 points may be hard to overcome unless he has a great skate like he did in TEB. I think he was distracted by the skycam. Unfortunately, he will have to refocus tomorrow with the skycam hovering around him.

It's alright. I am prepared for silver though gold would be best. :D
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  15. fscric

fscric Active Member

Wow! The difference in points between Patrick and Hanyu! Japan does seem to not favour Patrick, but I'm more sorry that ali_dorate didn't get the chance to see a perfect Patrick.
  16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Me too.
    But she was at London last year so was able to see a perfect short.

Hope she sees the perfect long tomorrow.
  17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Not sure Patrick will be in the right mental state tomorrow for a free skate like the one he did in Paris after such a poor (for his standards) SP skate.:( The axel and the lutz were so bad, he may have socked even himself.
  18. blueglass

blueglass New Member

The travelling really does seem to affect his performance. I did wonder why Skate Canada didn't find a way to let him withdraw from the GP. It's not like others haven't done it. He said the Japanese would have the advantage, so I suspect he has prepared himself for a loss. Let's hope he's over his jet lag tomorrow.
  19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

He did win the GPF in China in the 10/11 season, fwiw.
  20. sequins

sequins New Member

I'm disappointed for Patrick but I feel it may be a necessary wake up call. I read his comment something like Paris was so perfect and that is hard to ever duplicate. Which is what I feared. Too much, too soon, too early in the season. How do you top it? So in that sense I'm kinda glad he has something to improve on, he has to refocus, he can't rest on his laurels and even if he's perfect Hanyu can still challenge him. I can only hope this will be a positive and necessary step towards the Olympic gold.
  21. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Thank you for the warm words, Emdee, fscric.
    Don't worry. I've got accustomed to see his underwhelming performances here in Japan:) Actually I have seen all his performances in Japan including NHK Trophy back in 2006. And he had never have a good result. He has been extremely weak and vulnerable here in Japan.

So today I don't expect much from him. I'll enjoy his beautiful program no matter what.

His morning practice.
    All jumps were solid except 4T. I felt he was tense before the entrance of 4T.
    Here are all the jumps he did during the practice.

2A, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lz-1lo-3S, 3F-2T
    3Lz, 3lo, 3A, all solid and clean.
    3A bit shaky but ok.
    4T fall, 4T.
    Run through 4T so, 3A, 3Lz-lo-3S, 3lo, 2A

4T fall, 4T-3T clean and gorgeous!
    3T (intentional)

He drunk much water many times. And long talk with Kathy. I don't think he's in good shape.

I hope he finishes this last international competition before Sochi on a good note.

Relax, Patrick. As I said many times, there are lots of Patrick fans here and Japanese skating fans respect your gorgeous skating. Just show us who you are!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  22. spikydurian

^^ Thank you ali_dorate for the kind words and encouragement and your update. If Patrick does not retire after Sochi, you may still see him in Japan at 2014 Worlds.:)
    I don't expect perfection from him all the time (afterall which skater can be perfect all the time) so I am happy if he skates relatively well. Go Patrick!
  23. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Thanks Ali_dorate, we really appreciate the news. Patrick often misses the quad in practise. I think it's a competition of minds at this point, so let's hope he rises to the challenge. I'll be happy if he skates well enough to feel good about himself and that nothing shakes his confidence going forward.
  24. bunhead

bunhead New Member

If Hanyu makes some mistakes in his LP, which he is prone to do, Patrick could possibly make up the difference in points, right? To be honest, I'd rather Patrick have a bad skate here than at Sochi. Hopefully this subpar outing will keep him motivated all the way until February.
  25. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Finally Patrick gave us an amazing performance here in Japan though not perfect of course.

Again he struggled with 4T during the 6 minuets' warm-up. One fall and one popped. Couldn't have enough time to check 4T-3T.

He looked nervous anh I was so afraid of seeing his bad skate again. But I was wrong. He stood up and held on. I' m so proud of our Patrick.

If only he could manage 3F-3T instead of 3F-2T, he may have won free. But He looked really tired.

Thank you Patrick. Take a good rest and enjoy the rest of days in Fukuoka.
  26. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

It's great to see that he can put down a great performance even in such difficult circumstances (12 points behind, not a great warmup, etc).

Still this result is going to make the Olympics very interesting. Especially with Yuzuru holding the WR in the short now. I would've loved to see Patrick win here, because I think he seems to skate better when he's feeling confident. Still the free skate has been amazing for him all season. So overall I'm happy for him :)
  27. spikydurian

^^ Yes, I am happy that he is definitely consistent in his LP now which is always a problem. I am surprised that despite Hanyu"s fall he still beat Patrick in FS. Anyone care to explain? Is it due to the BV?

Ali dorate, always with kind words. Lucky Patrick! Patrick looked super tired .... as if he going to collapse in Kathy"s arms. Now Patrick can have more ramen!
  28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Very proud of Patrick that he could come back so strong in the long program after a bad SP, I think he has just passed a maturity test today. However, I couldn't help but notice that a clean skate is not enough for him to win the program anymore with Yuzuru making tremendous progress from one competition to the next.:eek:
  29. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

All we can wish is that Patrick keeps up his consistency on the long and had a great short at the Olys.

Patrick can only control his own skate not other skaters.

He did look very tired today and yesterday.
  30. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I have not yet seen the protocols, but I'm quite interested to know how Hanyu beat Patrick in the freeskate, too. All in all, though, it was a great skate and I was cheering from my living room in the dark at 6 a.m. :) :) I can't believe I'm going to see the next competition live (Canadians)!
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.