Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think I heard that his personal goal for the Olys is 300 so yes his program is worked for him to top that.

The scare tactic ( which he didnt mean) is probably in his favour. Seeing his perfect skate at TEB others are likely going to go back and load their programs with high level elements and choreo just putting more stress on themselves. This could work for or against him IMO. Judging from interviews etc it seems to me that some others have just conceded to him. Brezina's face as he stood clapping for Patrick on the boards at the TEB FS was telling indeed.
  2. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I don't really see Patrick changing the program at this point to add the second 3A. He couldn't turn the 2A at the end of the program to a 3A because then it wouldn't count as he would have already had two 4Ts and two 3Lzs. In order to add the second 3A it would have to replace the 2nd 3Lz and then take the 2T from the end of the 3F and add it to one of the 3As.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. aglee

aglee New Member

Agreed. Another interesting reaction was John Coughlin shaking his head and mouthing "wow".
  4. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Other than Dai/Hanyu, the other 4 Japanese have more to lose. I don't see how those two will not go to Sochi. Once their National is over, they will be more focus on Sochi, and they are major threat to Patrick. Patrick's TES can be beat. So if he's comfortable with his 3A, I can see he will add. EVERYONE POINT counts.

Okay, so for curiosity's sake. If Patrick adds another 3A, meaning he will have to replace it with 3Lz and in combination, what additional marks will he get?
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. jettasian

jettasian New Member

True. But that also leave him with no room for error. If Dai/Hanyu skate well, and Patrick makes one error, it can be costly.
  6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Assuming he does a 3A+2T, 3F and 2A instead of a 3Lz, 3F+2T, and 2A, his base value increased by 3.52. If he does the triple axel combination in the first half and does the solo in the second, he gains "only" 3.39. I'd love it if he had the 4S or 4F, though.

I'd assert for all the Japanese skaters, that guaranteeing your spot before Nationals (as Chan's spot basically is) allows them to gear up for the Olympics more appropriately.
  7. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Their nationals are early though.
  8. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I can't imagine Patrick changing up his program at this point. Usually he takes all season to get really comfortable with a program, learn all the breathing spots, etc. I also vaguely remember him saying there would be no new tech development this season. He really doesn't need a second 3A. He gets such high goe on his jumps that he's equal or better than the other guys in TES anyway.
  9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I wondered whether Patrick missed a two double jump combo following a triple late in the program. There was a tiny stumble and it looked to me like he missed the chance to launch the second double. It is just a few points, yes, but a few points that could make the difference between gold and silver - and a few points he can work towards ensuring he earns in Sochi. Basically, I think he can still take his programs to a higher level.

And of course the team event is the wild card this season. CBC explored that at length when Browning interviewed Buttle. Buttle's view was positive and he saw the team event as a run through to work out the final kinks. Kurt wasn't sure what he thought about the new event, especially since is the first time it has been competed at in the Olympics and no skaters know how to train for it, as well as their individual events.

Basically, we should be prepared for the team event to wreak havoc with the individual results.

It will make for an interesting Olympics, that's for sure.
  10. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

No, he didn't. What you saw at TEB is exactly the jump layout he has planned for the long program.

Who do you have in mind, emdee? I personally don't think Orser for instance would encourage his students to do even more difficult elements than they are already attempting and, choreographically speaking, the free skates of both Javier and Yuzuru look like finished products to me.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  11. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Thanks. Wow...with such higher risk, only to gain 3+ point? Lol...okay maybe it's not worth it. That's still the problem with the scoring system. Take the TEB as an example. Patrick and Hanyu skated a clean program. Hanyu got higher TES because he placed his combo after mid point. I am sure Patrick could do the same. But 4+3 to start is such a bomb. I think it doesn't get reward more than it should considering it's the most difficult jump. It's crazy to think that putting a solo quad, then 3+3 later get you more point then 4+3 and 3.
  12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's my feeling too. Yes, he said he won't be doing any 'new crazy stuff' this season. He's doing what he is comfy with (I personally that's wise because the goal is not to show creativity but to win in Sochi). jett, that means he will do all the quads and 3A in the first half. I think concentrating on getting his 3A in his back pocket (as Kurt advised) and aiming the highest level and best GOEs for all his elements and skating is the way to go and I think is his strategy too. I am happy that Vivaldi is well received by judges and fans alike. La Boheme attracted mixed reactions last season.
  13. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I agree, and I think that combinations should be worth an extra 10% above the base mark of the combined jumps, thereby awarding skaters who do more difficult combinations - it would also encourage skaters to attempt more difficult combinations.
  14. jettasian

jettasian New Member

I thought La Boheme was well received. However, Patrick seemed to struggle with it. I personally loved it. It's too bad that he did not skate a clean La Boheme all season?
  15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I know that Hanyu has not been skating ith full choreo ...that was Wilson's complaint. In order to beat patrick all his competitors will tweak what they have.
  16. jettasian

jettasian New Member

I was surprised how high Hanyu's marks were at TEB. He's no way at Patrick's level, yet his marks indicated he is :confused: So if he skates clean and Patrick makes one error, he will win :wall:
  17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Hanyu had the higher TES in the short because he does his combo at the second half the program. But his PCS is almost 4 pts behind Patrick's--which is quite a bit. In the long, Hanyu's PCS was *15* pts behind Patrick's. When it comes to the short program, Hanyu is viewed as the solid #2 if all men skate clean. However, Hanyu is not the solid #2 even if he skates his long clean (granted, he hasn't really been close, but his PCS are significantly lower).

I try not to concern myself about what skaters can beat a flawed Chan. Chan can only control what he can do--so skate clean.
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  18. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Hanyu also does his 3A in the second half of the program, which brings him a bonus of 0.85.

Indeed.
  19. screech

screech Well-Known Member

He can't do a 3 jump combo late in the program, because his triple lutz - half loop - triple salchow is already a 3 jump combo, and the skaters are only allowed one. So he can't add another double toe or double loop onto his triple flip-triple toe combo because he wouldn't get any credit.
  20. jettasian

jettasian New Member

So what is your fave part of Patrick's LP this season? My fave part is right after the 2A near the end, the music changed and the foot work started, very fast, uplifting, great choreo matching the music, just awesome to watch. I hope more people will clap their hands at Olympic during that section.
  21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

re: the other skaters' reactions

I agree with Emdee - while Coughlin and Radford were obviously hugely impressed, I think Brezina's face was the most telling. Very much a "well, I'm going to lose, but I'm going to lose to that, so it's okay."

The moments between 0:01 and 4:35

Okay, fine.....

a) The choreo sequence. Everything. The entry is sublime (perfect match of blade and arm movement). The three hops he does back-to-back-to-back. The fact that he seems to burst into a smile every time he enters it. I'd actually like to see him extend the time between the end and the final spin actually - gives it more of an emotional punctuation mark and maybe more stroking will help him in the final spin.

b) Everything leading into the double axel.

c) The choreography between the lutz sequence and the solo lutz.

d) The first two jump passes work with the energy of the music.
  22. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Ok so I will have to see it one more time....already seen it a score of times.
  23. SGrand

SGrand New Member

That's my favourite too, love that part and he just glides and smiles, was so great to see!
    Also right after the 3A, to me that shows such stamina, I would be throwing up by now LOL.
    Love the music change after the last jump combo, you just know it's going to start building and his movement right before the 2A is cool going with the music.
    Then after the 2A, you see that smile I mentioned right before he opens his arms wide, Amazing!!!!
    Yup, then those heel clicks where again, I would throw up.
    So I guess I love it all, this music is beautiful and powerful and really suits him. Oh, and I can't forget the opening quads and the 3A.
    GO PATRICK!!!
  24. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I love the choreo after the triple axel.
    I love it all too!
  25. spikydurian

The 3A was so strong. And yes, love those heel clicks ... some call the movement brise? I too LOVE the last step sequence. I remember Patrick said in a previous interview that he wanted to concentrate on step sequence in the last part of the program. It looks so light and easy.

Here's Chiddy arriving in Fukuoka. All the best to Patrick. Good thing about competition in Japan is that I don't have to wake up at odd hours to watch the skate.:)
  26. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Smart of him to travel early to have plenty of time to time adjust
  27. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Lucky you Spiky. Here is it really early in the morning!
  28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

29. jettasian

jettasian New Member

30. spikydurian

31. spikydurian

Patrick's Mission Gold - frank with a winning mindset all tuned up.

Quotes from Patrick: It is hard for my parents to let go. A leap of faith to make changes a year before Sochi, and I owe a lot my success to Kathy Johnson. Indeed Patrick. For all the criticisms directed at Kathy, she supported your move to Detroit. It would have taken some sacrifices from her end. You can do. Sochi is closure time. I believe in you. <3
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  32. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Hi all!
    I arrived the arena during the performance of Han Yan.

Didn't see 6 minutes warm-up. So I can't tell his condition tonight. But he was a bit tentative before entering 4T.

Actually I don't expect best performance from him here in Japan. It's good to have a bad day now if he has to have one.

I'm happy I can finally see him this season. I had been worried because I had to cancel some of my tickets i bought this season due to my works and private matters.

I'm afraid this maybe the last competition we can see Patrick in Japan. So I want him enjoy the stay regardless of the result. I'm glad that Japanese fans highly appreciate Patrick's skating.
  33. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

Well... Yuzuru has a 12 point lead and somehow scored 99. Not impossible to makeup but it's going to be hard for Patrick to win here.
    Weird that he made the mistake on the lutz.

I'm hoping that he can have a really strong free skate, because this is not the feeling he wants to have from his last international competition before Sochi..
  34. spikydurian

Thanks ali dorate for the update. I am disappointed with his skate and I don't expect him to break records all the time. He did play down expectations in the interview before GPF.

Yes, skating678, 12 points may be hard to overcome unless he has a great skate like he did in TEB. I think he was distracted by the skycam. Unfortunately, he will have to refocus tomorrow with the skycam hovering around him.

It's alright. I am prepared for silver though gold would be best. :D
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  35. fscric

fscric Active Member

Wow! The difference in points between Patrick and Hanyu! Japan does seem to not favour Patrick, but I'm more sorry that ali_dorate didn't get the chance to see a perfect Patrick.
  36. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Me too.
    But she was at London last year so was able to see a perfect short.

Hope she sees the perfect long tomorrow.
  37. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Not sure Patrick will be in the right mental state tomorrow for a free skate like the one he did in Paris after such a poor (for his standards) SP skate.:( The axel and the lutz were so bad, he may have socked even himself.
  38. blueglass

blueglass New Member

The travelling really does seem to affect his performance. I did wonder why Skate Canada didn't find a way to let him withdraw from the GP. It's not like others haven't done it. He said the Japanese would have the advantage, so I suspect he has prepared himself for a loss. Let's hope he's over his jet lag tomorrow.
  39. Proustable

Proustable New Member

He did win the GPF in China in the 10/11 season, fwiw.
  40. sequins

sequins New Member

I'm disappointed for Patrick but I feel it may be a necessary wake up call. I read his comment something like Paris was so perfect and that is hard to ever duplicate. Which is what I feared. Too much, too soon, too early in the season. How do you top it? So in that sense I'm kinda glad he has something to improve on, he has to refocus, he can't rest on his laurels and even if he's perfect Hanyu can still challenge him. I can only hope this will be a positive and necessary step towards the Olympic gold.