Patrick Uber Thread - from Vancouver to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ali_dorate, Jun 24, 2013.

1. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Was this just a rebroadcast of one of Patrick's old interviews on Strombo?

2. sequins

sequins Active Member

Pretty sure it was just the brief clip I saw. George mentioned it being 100 days to Sochi and asking what Olympians will take in their suitcases and showed a minute or so clip of various athletes saying, obviously scripted stuff. Patrick said he'd bring vases cause skaters get lots of flowers and then said seriously, tone it down with the flowers and they showed (i think last years Worlds) massive bouquets. That was about it.

3. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

It's posted on the Virtue Moir thread.

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

What I liked the most about Patrick at this year's Skate Canada is that he never let he mistakes he made on the jumps affect his commitment to the choreo, he was on fire in both programs. Way to go, Patrick!

Now my very humble advice to him is that he should practice the 3A over and over until he feels he can do this jump in his sleep. The 3A in the long programs seems to be his only real weakness.

What happened to British Eurosport? I honestly don't remember ever having heard them commentate on Patrick's skating as ecstatically as they did at SC. lol

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/664a8b36-4479-3126-bade-1b9026cbd325

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/51e95dc6-70ab-3d56-bbbc-5a9b60489573

http://d4.yimg.com/sr/img/1/84023e47-d11d-39d4-b566-3c54c38ed045

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/602f8f8b-6898-3713-a19e-20bab4f8b8d2

http://d4.yimg.com/sr/img/1/93b09a66-f3f0-317e-b9b5-dad0da78f183

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Great pictures! Thanks. Re. British Eurosport - yeah, they waxed ecstatic over the short at last season's worlds. Did you hear Johnny Weir?

6. luckiest1

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks luckiest1 for the link to the Strombo suitcase bit.

I understand what you mean by ‘go for broke’, Emdee. The current rules give more points to a fully rotated jump with fall than a popped jump. It doesn’t make sense to give away points if one can give it a total go and gain some points from the jumps.

VarBar, ProfDeb gave Patrick the same advice. I am sure he is aware of his nemesis. By the way, we got our wish, VarBar. We talked about hoping that Patrick will come up with an LP different to his SP, and we have got the best of Four Seasons. I love the part where he skated backwards with a hop and clicking his feet. Is there a name for it?

This is what I look forward to every time Patrick skates. A big happy smile on his face after the program. Makes my day!:)

Not sure whether this article has been posted. PJ Kwong's interview with Kathy, Slipchuck and Patrick regarding his Olympic lesson and training.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

My pics from Patrick's FP and the medal ceremony at Skate Canada: http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/p56733276 He is growing up to be such an attractive man. :)

That will only work if he's practicing it correctly. From what I saw in practice at Skate Canada, his success rate with the 3A is maybe 30%. And sadly, I did not see any evidence to suggest that Kathy Johnson knows how to fix it. I almost fell out of my seat when he landed a very good one in his SP. Let's just hope that his shot at Oly gold doesn't come down to this one jump. :(

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Can't he just go have a visit with Artunian or some axel doctor?

10. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Didn't Browning try to help him with it a few years ago? I know it was pointed out on the CBC commentary that Chan needed to fix the technique on his axel or it would never be consistent. I'm sure he's tried with all his coaches.

11. sequins

sequins Active Member

He seemed to remedy it, or at least improve on it when he was with Krall but now he's just back where he started. It's frustrating to see. I'm sure he knows he has to get it but how?

12. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Finally had time to watch Patrick's new exhibition. I think the program would need a little more acting and smiling from him in some parts of it but there's a lot of brilliant moments in the choreo and Patrick really moves like a dancer. And while he goes for just a couple of jumps and not some of the most difficult ones, I feel he would beat many on the PC mark with all those transitions that he has as well as the quality and complexity of his blade work if he were to present Stepping Out in competition. He was flying out there. To skate such a sophisticated number the way he did at the age of 22...my hat is off to Patrick and his team. :respec: Awesome.

No, Corianna, I don't think I did. But I suspect Johnny had only nice things to say of Patrick's skating this time around.;)

13. luckiest1

This is my favourite part! I don't know what it's called either, but to me it's just pure joy on ice. :)

Love the pictures shutterbug. I also almost fell off the couch when he landed the triple axle in the short. I think I was screaming "thank God" LOL. Or maybe "holy shit". :eek:

14. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Very lovely. Worth a listen. It's on You Tube..

15. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2Qr8_8Ytc
    It looks like a cabriole I think!

16. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

18. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Patrick is listed to skate at COS in Thornhill this weekend. At 8.15 and 8.35 AM.

19. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Corianna just sent me an email that Patrick will be at Thornhill this coming weekend. Unfortunately I will be out of town.

20. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed watching that video again and can I just say that I would LURVE to have Mr. Weir do commentary for figure skating on NBC for the men all the time (and dare I suggest perhaps all disciplines?).

21. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

I'm not sure he will actually be there. Generally for sectionals (esp. in COS), every skater in the section is automatically registered but those with byes don't generally attend?
    I could be totally wrong of course. You might not be missing him skate though!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. luckiest1

I can't imagine Patrick would skate at COS this weekend. Unless he is in the Toronto area and wants to have another shot at getting his programs in front of judges before he heads to France?

23. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

What you say sounds correct. Are you going as the photographer?

I will be away on holiday so wont be able to attend in any event.

24. luckiest1

If I knew for certain he would be there, I'd go in a heartbeat. But I really don't want to make the trip if he's not.

25. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Yeah, Luckiest 1, me too. But the hour is daunting in terms of travel. And it's only a week to EB, so why he would allow a disruption is a mystery unless he has, as Emdee suggested, other reasons for being in To. The event will be live streamed, and struggling to the computer is a lot easier than struggling to Thornhill, and nothing lost if he doesn't show. Some retailer is advertising a give away to see him live though on twitter. Plus I'll also be watching the NHK on computer. But I've already seen the programs live at Skate Canada. Also there is the dreaded netting at Thornhill....

26. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

If a retailer is offering deals then I am sure he will be there. Maybe its a chance for his Chinese clientele to see him and not too far from his home.

27. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see any reason why Patrick would want to do that. He already showed his Four Seasons to an international panel of judges at Skate Canada and I think he can be happy with the marks he got for what he put on the ice in Saint John.

8.15 and 8.35 really are odd hours. I have a lot of trouble to believe that Patrick would be skating his short program as of 8.15 and then taking the ice again just fifteen minutes later for the long program. Unless someone would want to have him take a test of endurance and he can't say no. lol Or is it different days? Or maybe he will be in Thornhill but signing autographs, not skating. Although I have to wonder what the attendance would be so early in the morning.

I listened and totally agree with you.:)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  28. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Different days. Saturday and Sunday. the schedule is on the Central Ontario Sectionals at the Skate Canada site.

29. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Sorry, I missed the heading "practice. " I just checked and the competition is 8. something PM Saturday, and 12.15 PM Sunday. That makes the trip out a little bit more do=able - if there is any chance he might actually show, though I agree with VarBar that it makes little sense. Nam, Andrew and other usual suspects are also on deck.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Mr. Colson would be proud.
    I can only imagine what this program will look like in Sochi.