Patrick Uber Thread - Chiddy Biddies Think Chan Can

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by VarBar, Feb 6, 2014.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

He's in second last group. Not sure. Yes, as Corianna said, we Chiddy Biddies will be thinking of him. I was when I went to bed last night. Just visualizing his smiling and happy face after his TEB skate.

Well, I think Patrick has adopted the Filipino skater, Martinez as 'Canadian team'.:lol: He gave him a few pointers on knee bend and told him that he (Martinez) is officially part of the Canadian team and went out for dinner together. Wishing Martinez a great skate too.

2. Boozy

Boozy New Member

Patrick skate so beautiful, so elegant! Hanyu skate good too but I feel this Chan 's time to shine. Hope he can relax in the long progam and that gold medal shine around his neck! Woo!

I heared many people leave arena when Plushenko withdraw. This sad that Russians do'nt appreciate other skaters. Only cheer for there own skaters. That is not good Olympic spirits!
  3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Boozy are you into the Vodka again?
  4. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

CHAN CAN
    CHAN CAN
    CHAN CAN

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  5. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I'll admit to not being an especially big Chan fan, but I'm hoping he'll win if nothing else than for the fact that he's been on top since the last Olympic cycle and it would be such a shame if he failed to win the big one. I like Hanyu too but he's still so young and I don't want him to win the Olys now and then peter out.

One can see where the wind is blowing, though. The way Hanyu nailed that SP...you just know that he's going to bring that same fire and confidence to produce an awesome FS - that's youth for you. Patrick will have to be absolutely perfect (and can you imagine the unbelievable pressure he'll have skating right after Hanyu; yet another reason to root for him!) to have a chance at winning gold. Here's to hoping that he can!
  6. rabitfur06

rabitfur06 New Member

I really enjoyed his SP today! It was very beautiful and I loved how the arena was so quiet that you got transported with the music. 4 points back and he seemed very happy with his skate! Good Luck in the free tomorrow Patrick :)
  7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is right. Stay calm ;). I think I'll book a pedicure for tomorrow afternoon, then go shopping.....I'm such a chicken. It's funny though, I leave the feed for the marks going all the time :lol: I just enjoy Patrick's skating after I know what's happened.
  8. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Chicken, chicken, chiddy biddy chicken .. like me! :D
  9. fscric

fscric Active Member

For those who had watched the whole SP competition, what do you think about Patrick's chance?
  10. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think there are two competitions.
    One for gold and one for bronze.
    Unless patrick falters a lot I don't think any of the others can catch up.
    So if Hanyu is perfect and patrick is perfect it's anybody's guess. Though hanyu's tech score will bring in huge marks and his pcs will follow.
    If Hanyu leaves the door open Patty will have a chance. Patrick has to go out there guns blazing.
    The 4 marks are not insurmountable.
  11. Boozy

Boozy New Member

What you mean? Celebration start when Chan win gold, Hanyu sliver, Brown bronz! ;)
  12. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I watched the whole thing (still can't believe I did!), any my impression is that his chances are slim but not impossible. If Hanyu skates perfectly and Patrick skates perfectly, it's anybody's guess but I still think that Hanyu will nick it because of that 4-point cushion and he can outscore Patrick technically. He'll be behind in PCS (as in the SP where Hanyu was pretty much perfect), but if both skate perfectly I think the PCS gap will be negligible as far as Hanyu is concerned.

Also, Hanyu was so ON in the SP - he was just brimming with confidence and you can tell that he wants it so badly and knows exactly what he'll have to do next to win. Patrick looked more tentative (even if the final effect was just a slight step out on the 3A), and how many times has Patrick skated a perfect FS with all planned content executed? He just may have to do that in the FS if he wants to have a chance at winning.
  13. fscric

fscric Active Member

This is depressing.
  14. puglover

puglover Active Member

I just don't recall a lot of free programs that Hanyu has done totally clean. Patrick can still do it! The two short programs are so different in concept they are hard to compare. The crowd totally loves the entertaining, high energy programs (eg. Kevin Reynolds) but there is a place for these classic, beautiful programs as well. I still believe.
  15. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Ohmmmmmmmmmm
    Chan Can, Chan Can
    This Chiddy Biddy, this Chan's Fan
    Ohmmmmmm
    Can Can, Chan Chan
    Chan Want, Chiddy Biddies Want
    Chan Can, Chan Can so say all Chan's fans:)

Chatted to two of my colleagues who is quite knowledgeable about figure skating. One whose mother's Norwegian and got her first skates at the age of three. She told me that her mum complained about ugly lutz/flutz these days. Her mum was good at figures but bad at jumping. The other is a Canadian. Wanted to watch live telecast and lamented that Australian tv only shows Australian athletes (that's understandable). I think if there are more access to figure skating in Australia, there will be more fans following skating here.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  16. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

In my estimation Patrick's chance is slight, but he does have a chance. As pointed out, Yuzu will have to make at least one mistake and Patrick will have to skate clean. Yuzu's 4 point SP lead and 8 point base LP base mark lead mean that he is going to be really hard to catch. Patrick would have to get better quality marks as well as skate clean.

I really just want him to skate clean and free, more than I want him to get the gold. Though I do want that too, can't help it - it was to the point where I couldn't breathe and had a knot in my stomach before his SP. Now I'm just resigned to the fact that he may get silver. In truth I feared he'd take himself out of contention completely with two mistakes in the SP, so I was pleasantly surprised by his result in the SP. The seconds preceding that axel were just nerve-wracking!
  18. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

ITA Japanfan. I still believe it can happen for him, and I am not a chicken so I'll watch live again today. :lol: I booked it as a vacation day! But I won't be alone like I was yesterday, as my mom is here now. I won't be able to scream and punch the table and other things I tend to do when no one is watching except my dogs LOL. But that is for other skaters. For Patrick I cross every available digit and hold my breath and just enjoy the beauty of the skating.

Oooooooooooooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

spiky, I found that article by searching "pchiddy" on twitter. Also a good way to find practice reports. :)
    puglover and (deleted member) like this.
  19. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I guess this will all depend if Yuzu can handle the pressure of being in first place. He was clearly in first place yesterday, but I was not overly impressed with him when I saw him skate live at Worlds last year.
  20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

All the best to Patrick.
    May he have the skate of his life......
  21. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

May he have the skate of his life. Go for Gold, Patrick!
  22. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

True but he didn't have to be on the ice to hear Yuzuru's marks.
    I'm sure he will be fine but I think it would be better if he could skate before Yuzuru and put down the score to beat.

I agree with everyone in that the odds are against him. As many have pointed out, Yuzuru has a higher base value and his PCS has grown a lot. So even though Patrick will likely still get a higher 2nd mark it won't be that much of a difference. That said, Patrick's free skate has been strong all season, so we'll have to see.

But I really liked what Patrick said in his CBC interview last night about skating for himself and not for a medal. I think he has a great attitude. If anybody can pull this off, he can!
  23. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Good luck to Patrick !!! May he have a perfect skate.
  24. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Shocking! Such a flawed program from Yuzuru and Patrick failed to capitalize on it...
  25. bunhead

bunhead New Member

My heart was POUNDING... Silver is no slouch but the door was open!
  26. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I don't know what on earth happened to Chan - the gold was his for the taking and he proceeded to skate one of his worst programs ever. He didn't even have to be absolutely perfect to win, he just had to do enough, but instead he self-destructed. He really looked like his mind was somewhere else during that FS.
  27. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I'm so depressed��
  28. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Congrats to Patrick.
  29. puglover

puglover Active Member

Yes, congrats - not the best men's event. If I look back on Vancouver though, men's skating is at a much more challenging and risky level. I am very proud of Patrick - he had it in the Pc's and he never gave up the program. I wish I had a pug to hug though now luckiest!
  30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I have been crying...
    He didnt walk through that door.

But silver deserves heartfelt congratulations.
    And Patrick we love your skating and are your fans regardless.
  31. bunhead

bunhead New Member

Aww, Emdee! In the grand scheme of things, 2-time silver medalist ain't bad. But man, so close. I wonder what his plans will be after Sochi.
  32. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Couldn't agree more.

I didn't watch. Couldn't. Disappointed that he didn't skate his best LP here otherwise the gold would have been his. Sigh...
  33. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I can't see Patrick going to Worlds in Japan. But for Skate Canada's sake, I can see him skate to get them more than one spot for next year (because Kevin and Liam won't be able to do it).

Patrick stated in an article that he has considered skipping next season and returning the season after. I really hope he comes back.

I'm at work. Before I met with a client, I read that Hanyu made a couple errors and the door was open for Chan. I entered that boardroom with my client truly believing that Chan would enter that door. I don't think I will ever watch this skate.
  34. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Congrats to Patrick!!! He is really a very very good skater..
  35. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Congrats to Patrick. He tried, but it looks as though those with the most pressure on them faltered. Nevertheless, PChiddy is coming home with 2 Silver Olympic medals, and that's no small feat. I hope he's around for a while longer because I'm just selfish :)
  36. lala

lala Well-Known Member

yes
  37. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

When Yuzuru fell on that first quad, I thought "Patrick's got this!" But maybe he thought that too and couldn't keep it together? After his first jumping pass, I sure thought he had it! Anyway, I'm proud of all of them! That was a tough competition. Congrats to Patrick on silver! :cheer:
  38. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

The top 10 or so (except Jason Brown) all tried quads, good for these men!

Denis Ten BRONZ ! :rofl:
  39. duane

duane New Member

It seemed no skater wanted to be on the podium. The men did not deliver the goods.
  40. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Sad for Patrick. It was there for him to take, but he couldn't do it. A silver is a fantastic achievement and he'll look fondly on that, but you know it wasn't what he wanted. It was a toss up who skated better in the long.

Sadly, no one really rose to the occasion and it was a rather lacklustre final for me. Certainly not the skate most of these men dreamed they'd be having on the biggest stage. So many could have taken that bronze but only Denis Ten really came close to actually reaching for it, so congratulations to him too.