Patrick Uber Thread - Chiddy Biddies Think Chan Can

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by VarBar, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Ottawa Citizen article by Wayne Scanlan: Fire still burns for Patrick Chan; Ottawa-born skater hints retirement not on the horizon

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I so hope he sticks around.

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

This gave me hope that he may consider at least one more World Comp. Some of us are not ready to 'let go' yet. I am missing looking forward to his programs, Tu Ly's costumes, his skating and most of all, his spontaneous and heartwarming smiles.

I hope in the coming months, he will sort out what he wants. A blank canvass can be daunting but it has to start from somewhere.

SGrand, the best judgement of one's character and skills are from one's peers. I have read many comments from Patrick's peers (coaches and skaters) regarding his skating skills and personality. Comments like these: I don't have Patrick's skating skills, you know what skating skills he has when he still can skate with someone else's skates, unsurpassed skating skills, skates like a dancer, he is so accommodating, he is so nice and down to earth ... and so on. And that is partly what we fans love Patrick for too. SGrand, unfortunately, there will be people who are motivated by 'whatever' in nit-picking and bashing others. We encounter such people at work too and in every aspect of our lives. We need to surround ourselves with positive like-minded people. Life can be too short to dwell constantly in the negatives.

Flowers for Patrick during his SOI Japan Tour.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

When I watch Nam and think of the men's field in Canada without Patrick, I miss him all the more.

I try and think of a man who with the basics that he has, and can't come up with even one.

5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Great article. It sure gives us fans some hope of seeing him compete again on his own terms of course.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Chan set to dazzle Halifax: http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1202597-chan-set-to-dazzle-halifax

7. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Liam Firus comes quite close to Patrick in skating basics with amazing edge quality and effortless gliding. Liam has definitely become a favorite of mine.

ITA spiky. Patrick will have to decide whether he is really willing to go back to his old routines as a competitive skater - waking up at the same hour, eating the same food and practicing the same elements every single day. 2018 Olympics is a huge commitment.

8. spikydurian

I am more hopeful that he will accept Kurt's challenge to go for one more World than to commit to another Olympics.

I think Canada has a fair share of male skaters with wonderful skating skills. I agree Liam is an elegant skater. I see very good skating skills in young Sadovsky. And Nam is the rising star right now.

Pix of Canadian men at CSOI practice.

9. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I just want to see him compete again, live, one more time. I'm not picky. Thanks for the links and pictures!

10. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

11. spikydurian

Thanks Corianna.

Another interview in Halifax with V&M and Patrick. It is good to know that Patrick, V&M and a couple of others are not absolutely sure of retiring so we all can still hold on to our hopes of seeing them again in competitions. It is good to know that CSOI included Nam in Toronto. Maybe, they can consider Liam too in future.

GoPro strapped to Patrick during a spin. I see stars.. not sure about Patrick.:)

Gabby and Patrick's pix.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  12. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Isn't this Kurt Browning pouring the water over Patrick last year, since that was the first time Patrick became a part of the Canadian SOI? The clothes looks like the one they used for "Wonder", the group number by the Canadian World Champions: Browning, Buttle, Chan, Virture and Moir

13. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

It has to be Fernandez pouring water over Chan in that picture. Just look at his hair, it certainly doesn't seem to be Browning's "hair". ;) As far as their costumes go, aren't they the same as in this picture that was taken in Japan and that Patrick tweeted a couple of weeks back?

http://instagram.com/p/mt9-ULx13o/

14. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Yes, they did "Wonder" for JSOI sans Browning, I heard.

15. spikydurian

Poor Kurt. His 'hair' is most recognisable.:lol:

Someone posted a pix from the CSOI. This makes me sooo envious of those who are going (hear hear Emdee and Corianna). :( Report back here otherwise I will never forgive you all. :p

16. spikydurian

17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I think we can trust the figure skating fans who went to see the show in Halifax and tweeted or wrote in their reviews that the boys skated their group number to The Walker by Fitz and the Tantrums. You can actually hear the music in this little video.

http://instagram.com/p/nOy4_nN487/#

The Finale

http://i.instagram.com/p/nQqAVCmuMm/#

So many numbers that I am dying to see. If they will ever broadcast any of the shows. Seems like Kurt skated one of his programs to Trust in Me from the Jungle Book.:lol:

18. spikydurian

A fan posted a wee bit of Walker on instagram. It looks so much fun. I like the colourful costumes and music. All good looking and highly talented skaters too.:swoon: Lucky Canada. So sad... I couldn't watch.

Another fan posted part of Buble's The Best of Me.

19. fscric

fscric Active Member

20. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to watch videos until I see the show in person. From everything I've read it sounds great. :)

21. kirbs

kirbs New Member

Interview with Patrick in Montreal this morning (it's English) http://globalnews.ca/video/1298443/three-time-world-champion-patrick-chan
    He was pretty adamant about not drawing the conclusion that he's retiring, name-dropped Boston 2016 as a potential comeback stage, and basically outlined a rough plan for potentially going for 2018, all pretty much unprompted :)

22. spikydurian

You must trying very hard to resist clicking on the vids, luckiest1. :lol: Enjoy the show.

That gives me some hope. Some hope is better than none. I am a happy fan. :)

CSOI 'Best of Me' - Michael Buble.

23. fscric

fscric Active Member

24. spikydurian

It was clever and fun. Two tallest guys lifting the shortest and the other two sliding under. I like this number. If I am watching real life, I will snap my fingers to the music!

25. spikydurian

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Wonderful program by Patrick....suits him, and beautifully skated.....I wish I could go to CSOI this year but thanks for posting the link Spikydurian. It should be televised around Christmas this year as usual.

28. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Does anybody know who choreographed Patrick's gala programs (both of them) this time? Though "Best of Me" has a similar feeling to Rach, and it seems to me everyone assumes it's Jeffrey, I'm not so sure.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  29. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Absolutely breathtaking. It's a real treat to watch Patrick skate and move to Jeffrey's choreography, it's like modern dance on ice.

While I agree with Patrick that a quad jump takes away from the musicality of a program, I do think he could successfully turn Best of Me into a competitive program if he decides to come back to competition for 2016 Worlds. Music with vocals is allowed in the men's event too as of the coming season if I am not mistaken.

30. spikydurian

clarie, will the whole show be televised? Aw.. so lucky. Better late than never.

Somehow at the back of my mind, Buttle choreographed Best of Me. I might have read somewhere that he was learning this program from Buttle?

Many pictures and vids have emerged after CSOI Toronto from skating fans.:cool:
    Here's a wee bit of The Walker again.

Patrick will be skating at Skatemania Quebec on 25 October together with Joannie Rochette and Shawn Sawyer and other stars.
    Just came across this 'not new' vid of Scott and Patrick. I thought it was funny.

Last edited: May 3, 2014