Patrick Uber Thread - Chiddy Biddies Think Chan Can

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by VarBar, Feb 6, 2014.

1. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I do think we need a new thread for Patrick. If Chan's fans are not happy with the title - BTW, emdee inspired me - someone can always start another thread to replace this one.

Beats me why Patrick made those mistakes on the jumps today, especially the quad because he landed a perfect 4T/3T in his warm-up group. Hopefully he has an explanation to his subpar skate that made Team Canada lose points in the Team Event.

https://s.yimg.com/sr/img/1/98ac2ae1-5d37-326d-8dde-d463a5091521

https://s2.yimg.com/sr/img/1/36bc17a5-b046-38f8-b804-b507e72a2c2a

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Love the titles...........and I still think he can :)

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That was a very sloppy program from Plushenko, and he was certainly gifted. It was the same ole, same ole stuff.

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Me too.

Disappointed with his two errors (haven't watched the vids yet) .... but hell ... we will have to stay positive. Go Chiddy. Chiddy Can Can Can.:cheer:

5. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Love the new title, love Pchiddy. So he made some mistakes. Let's move on and keep the faith. Plushenko was incredible given his age, but IMHO was over marked, and Patrick will do better.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  6. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I'd rather Patrick make mistakes now, than next week. I'm not too worried, he got the jitters out today. And, not that points behind matters in the team comp, but with his two errors, vs Plushy's "perfect" program, he's still only two points behind the old man. I hate that some judges over mark Plushy's skating skills so much, but as someone pointed out to me, it *is* in Russia. Shouldn't matter though.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  7. fscric

fscric Active Member

I haven't got the chance to watch the competition, just the protocol. For those who had watched, do you think it was the pressure that affected Patrick's skate? Someone on the T&S thread suggested that perhaps Patrick cannot handle pressure well, what do you think? But it seems despite it being Hanyu's first competition, he was not nervous at all!

Since Patrick won his first Worlds title and had won GP in Russia, I thought this country favours him, but with Plushenko getting such scores, I'm quite worried for Patrick, to be honest.

8. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

As someone in the Olympic thread pointed out, Hanyu is a strong short program skater, not so much for the long program. Patrick heart did not seem that into it tonight.

9. blueglass

blueglass New Member

It wasn't all that bad actually - his skating was beautiful - really solid in between the jumps. The quad was fine but he could only do the double toe off the landing. The triple axle was the only real flaw and that wasn't even a fall or a hand down. Hanyu was nerveless but expect the pressure to pick up for him now. It was to be expected that Plushenko would be overmarked but as much as I dislike the arrogance you've got to give him credit - he's just a natural jumper.

10. puglover

puglover Active Member

Did anyone else think Patrick's eyes looked red or sore - kind of puffy?

11. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

^ yes. As the camera zoomed in at the start of the program I wondered if he'd been getting any sleep.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  12. bunhead

bunhead New Member

He always looks like he hasn't been able to sleep well before a big competition. Sigh.

I don't think it's accurate to say he can't handle pressure. Come'on! The guy is a 3-time world champion!

I just hope he'll be able to move on from this performance quickly. It really wasn't that bad -- Team Canada is still in a good place -- so he shouldn't beat himself up over it and let this performance affect his individual event. You know how in some people are jumping all over his remarks about Plushenko's score being nothing to write home about? I know it rubs some people the wrong way but I kind of like his comment/quote. I think it suggests Patrick isn't feeling all defeated about the whole thing, and is a little ticked off about the situation. He's here to win so I think (well, hope, really) he'll be all fired up by his event next week. Just because he's Canadian doesn't mean he can't want to be a winner.

13. spikydurian

Let's be calm Chiddy Biddies. A couple of errors and not a perfect skate but it wasn't disaster. I know we love to worry just about everything but only Chiddy could control his own destiny. Let's take a deep breath. Ohmmmm

Some people like to twist and turn his comments into something sinister. Even a mere mention of Plushenko's age is a sign of arrogance. :rolleyes: I don't know what he was being asked, but my impressioin is he was probably responding to what he thought about the points garnered by Hanyu and Plushenko. And isn't it true that we all have seen those points .... in the 90's achieved by himself and other skaters? Maybe he was expected to say ..."oh wow... 91 great";) If someone scores 110 points, then we have not seen it yet.

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Patrick handles pressure well, nor ever really has. For a number of years he kept winning with flawed skates, and then the field caught up with him. IMO he is not a skater who likes to compete - as Kwan and Stoijko did, to give two good examples.

He made mistakes at GFP and then at Nationals. He seemed nervous at both those events, and nervous here too. I fear he has psyched himself out about winning the Gold.
    And that the Canadian curse against men's Gold at the Olympics is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm worried about him, too.

Sorry, I'd say a disaster is exactly what it was given that Chan is putting in a bid for Olympic gold. If he skates that way in the individual event, he could be out of contention for the gold. He could even be below third place, with a skate like that.

And I'm completely bummed about it. The only other man I would be excited to win gold is Abbott, and if Chan had a disaster in the team SP, Abbott had several.

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I really don't know what it was, fscric. Patrick didn't look nervous to me when he took center ice for the SP but quite calm and composed, that's why I couldn't find any valid explanation to why he wasn't able to deliver.:confused:

Ninety-one points is a score Patrick would have easily beaten had he been able to skate cleanly or nearly so. It wasn't the judges' fault that he couldn't get his act together and stumbled.

It's only natural for Patrick's fans to be worried because he has done everything in his power to be prepared for these Olympics and things still didn't work out for him the way he had probably expected. He hasn't skated a solid SP since Trophée Bompard and TEB was actually the only time he nailed all his SP jumps this season. For Hanyu by contrast, the Team Event was his fourth flawless SP skate and after watching him at the GPF and Japanese Nationals, I'd say he has grown into a strong LP skater too.

16. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Plushenko parped on his pillow. ;)

17. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Why all the doom and gloom? :lol: He skated pretty well and kept Canada on pace for a top 2 finish. For someone who bitched about being sent to WTT, I'd say he put in a good faith effort. ( perhaps more than could be said of others :scream:)

18. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Positive vibes for Patrick, people! The TE is a distraction for the best skaters, especially Patrick, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if that wasn't planned when it was placed first. He just needs to move on - so do we.

19. luckiest1

I always look at his eyes in his opening pose, and I also thought they looked puffy....there were bags under them. I doubt he's sleeping as well as he'd like, what with the pressure he is under and the constant media scrutiny. However, I didn't think he had a particulary "rough" skate, I thought all in all he held it together quite well. I'll take a step out on a triple axel over a pop or a hard fall any day. He landed the quad. It's all good, people! I didn't feel as though he was going for broke, I felt like he was saving that for the individual short program. He delivered a solid performance to keep Canada in the medal hunt. I feel like he did his job and I really don't get all the negativity and worry.

I definitely think I need to stay home on Thursday for the men's short program event. I won't be able to get any work done anyways.

20. puglover

puglover Active Member

Practice reports sound promising and given the difficulty of the jumps, a small forward landing or step out is not disaster. Hopefully they don't happen in the individual event but I still feel very optimistic. In the interview with Kurt and Michael Slipchuck last night, it seemed that Michael mentioned the skaters that are really gunning for gold in the individual event and how they have to hold something back and not go all guns blazing in the team event. I would have had him above Plushenko based on the rest of the elements, especially spins, but obviously the judges saw it differently.

21. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Can you imagine the outcry if he'd beaten Plushy on components? The skate was a bit scary, but as you say, not disastrous. I thought he looked off when he stepped on the ice and that feeling got worse on his opening pose. My guess, like the other posters, was too little sleep, and Chiddy is not without nerves. At least he has plenty of time now to figure it all out before the next step. Happy to see him marching today.

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Patrick had the highest PCS of the night in the short program segment of the Team Event.:)

Chan - 45.68
    Hanyu - 45.43
    Plushenko - 43.21

23. blueglass

blueglass New Member

That's good to hear. The last couple of competitions have certainly been a bit of a fight for him - yesterday I thought he was being too deliberate in his beginning moves. If I were with Patrick I'd be telling him that he's done the work, now's the time to stop thinking and just go out and skate his routines. And don't worry about winning.

24. spikydurian

I haven't watched the vids yet. But based on what is written here and his interview talking about his entry into the jump being careful, I agree with you, blueglass. He must let go and skate with freedom and trust his training. Whatever will be will be. Isn't it Kurt who advised that if you think too much, it becomes a problem. I hope Patrick skates with freedom the way he did at TEB. (Kwan lost the gold because she skated tentatively.) He is the strongest on ice when he's on. The power he generates when he skates, can be felt even on the computer screen.:)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

26. fscric

fscric Active Member

I have now watched Patrick's skate, it's really not as bad and I agree with VarBar that he didn't look nervous. I think his tentativeness is perhaps he's saving himself from going all out in this team competition, I believe he'll be different in the individual competition. I was concerned because some people on T/S thread seemed to partially blame Patrick for his placement which has put pressure on his teammates.

Are you guys enjoying the Chan thread on GSD? This kind of threads have become such an entertainment! Poor pingu created a thread posting her interview with Patrick, but noone cares because there's nothing in it to attack Patrick, perhaps she should have used a more spicy thread title, lol.

27. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I was just watching the end of the Ladies SP where the overall team standings were displayed. The commentator mention MT/M was being substituted for the FP, but said nothing about the mens FP. Does that imply Patrick may skate?

ETA: Nope, now they say Kevin is "likely" to skate the FP.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's what some of the people around Patrick have been telling him too - whether Kurt or Kathy or Slipchuk. It would be great if he could do that next week, blueglass.:)

Marching with the other Canadian athletes.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/46...VFpNmSQudat6/pe3wGH7f1xr/MoAUr7g49B5uUx5TQQ==

@TeamBradJacobs with @Pchiddy during opening ceremonies!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf5lzLfIAAEVPi3.jpg:large

Stay strong, Scott.

https://s1.yimg.com/sr/img/1/c9f84fa7-c6c1-302e-be8b-7d4f4a2417d3

29. luckiest1

It was nice to see Patrick cheering Scott & Tessa on today. I hope he's finding some time to have fun!

30. spikydurian

Thanks VarBar. Nice pix of Scott and Patrick. They both looked a bit serious and into each other's eyes. There's some kind of unspoken understanding and spport between them.

Go Patrick. Go V&M. I love Canadian Team! Gorgeous 'kids' (to this old Chiddy Biddy).