Patrick is overrated

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Apr 1, 2012.

Is Patrick Chan overrated?

1. Yes

172 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. No

186 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I get that he's good. He really is, but i feel like he is wayyyyy overrated. He gets marks that are much higher than they should be, and if performed by other, less reputable skaters, they'd recieve lower marks. What do you think?

2. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

I think some of us found this poll faster than others ;)

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh dear. I can already envision how ugly this thread is going to get.

4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Chan didn't skate that well today. He didn't blow away the competition this time. But his marks were a bit lower than usual---he didn't get all 9s in PCS.

IMO, Takahashi's PCS should have been higher and the margin should have been closer.

I think Chan will be getting some stiff competition in the future from Hanyu, so results may no longer be so one-sided.

5. sequins

sequins Active Member

Is this really necessary? We need a poll now to see just how much hate there really is for him:rolleyes:.

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Why is this poll in GSD? Shouldn't it be in the Trash Can where I can ignore it?

7. kppt

kppt New Member

ITA with your entire post. Overall, I do think the right medals were awarded based on 2 programs, but Chan should be worried about the young Japanese skater.

8. kppt

kppt New Member

IMO Chan is sometimes over marked in PC's, however I recall several competitions earlier in his senior career where it was the opposite. I think just a few years ago Joubert earned higher PC's than Chan, which at the time was disgraceful. I also think when you perform such high-scoring elements (I.e., 4T & 4T+3T in the same program), it adds to the PC's in the judges' minds. Not saying this is justified always, just food for thought.

9. jettasian

jettasian New Member

How's Chan over marked in PC's?

Skating Skill, he's second to none.
    Transition, every element is linked.
    Choreography, well balance program through out, no rest at all, full of complexity through out.
    Interpretation Skill, very subjective, some like, some don't. But for this year's LP, every move he makes match the music perfectly (except today which he's behind the music)
    Performance, again, subjective. But I find he has great body line, elegant and classical. May not be everyone's taste, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

And I find this thread just yet another Chan bashing attempt.

10. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Congratulations...you fell for the bait as you always do. Try harder to resist next time. ;)

11. jettasian

jettasian New Member

All I have to say is, bring it on. The more Chan bashing they can come up with, the more they are showing their bitterness. It won't hurt Chan, just their constant pissy mood because someone they hate keeps on winning :)

12. jettasian

jettasian New Member

It's still a bit too early to tell. That Russian kid came out of nowhere last season to win bronze wasn't it? Where is he now? Besides, Hanyu's style is still too juniorish, and he always has a habit to run out of gas at the end of the long program. However, I do believe that he will be the next top Japanese skater.

13. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

this!

14. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Hanyu is only 18 (in December). Of course he is juniorish---he's just up from juniors, having won the WJC last year. IMO, there will be major improvements in his presentation and jump repertoire over the the next two years. He could be formidable by Sochi.

15. misskarne

misskarne #408

I hesitate to say he's over-rated.

He's got a lot of great skills, and his edges are beautiful. Having said that, however, there's no point having deep edges if you can't stay upright on them. The fact that he falls so much points towards a possible technique defect or mental weakness. It will be interesting to see how he copes when/if the judges finally start scoring him properly.

However, he really needs to work on his artistry. It's like watching a cold fish. No expression, no emotion. I tried, believe me I did. I almost wanted him to have some artistry so I could see the justification in the marks. No joy. When he skates, he has the emotional range of a teaspoon.

16. sadya

sadya Active Member

Double post. Sorry.

17. sadya

sadya Active Member

I voted yes, but that doesn't mean I hate him. I enjoy some of his programs. When he's on, he is amazing, sometimes even when he's a bit off. However, some other skaters bring more to the ice, their heart is there on the ice as well and in the music. That is something I'm still missing when I watch Chan. Other than that, he is amazing.

Yesterday I was surprised to see him win, I thought after that fall Takahashi would win. Then I figured "oh well, I don't know that much about skating, especially because I've never been a skater myself. Did I miss something?"

Two different channels were showing the men's free, the commentator of one channel said nothing much about the scores so I waited until Eurosport would show those programs too and see what their commentators thought about that win. Eurosport (Dutch) commentators actually agreed with my view, they also thought it should have been Takahashi. It was one of few times we had the same opinion on something. When I went online, many more people doubted that win so I realised my thoughts and doubts weren't out of line.

I'm waiting for the moment when Chan will skate his heart out on the ice, as if the music is part of his being. Then it will perhaps become the greatest program ever to have been skated. When watching competitions I'm always hoping everyone will do their very best, after all, we want to watch wonderful skating no matter which skater does the job.

18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Hanyu's 17 and in his second senior season - he won 2010 JW. But I don't think he's juniorish. Will he be a better and more mature skater in a few year's time? One can only hope. But he is a better skater at age 17 than many of the older skaters he competes against - as he showed this weekend.

As for the subject of this thread: yes, Chan is overrated. Not because he's not a very good skater, but because he is not quite as good as his marks suggest. His interpretation and performance ability are by no means the best in the field, and his mistakes aren't punished as severely as some of his competitors. For a skater whose skating skills are celebrated, he certainly has some strange bobbles and falls.

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

He's got enough potential to be all-time-greatest man, only if his consistency follows adequately and his interpretation skills improve more. Otherwise he's got it all. Skating skills, huge jumps, wonderful presentations. He's not, however, yet shown that he can be consistent as hell for more than one season. Look at Yuna's track of records. Well she didn't win "everything" but just the fact that she was very consistent with the strongest technical content in the field is enough to give her credit for the all-time-greatest.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am not so sure. If Takahashi cannot get high PCS simply because he is skating against Chan, I don't see a young skater who has not yet developed getting high PCS. In TES, I have seen Hanyu being rather inconsistent in his quads, and that will make it difficult for him to challenge for the top spot.

Now if by 'future' you are talking about distant future (beyond the next two season) you could be right.

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

No
    He is the best jumper, and the best glider. He has everything, but lose concentration sometimes, that's a shame. But he is clearly the best skater.

22. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

He probably falls over less than most of the other skaters competing. But he also does his jumps with greater speed and more attack than other skaters. And he doesn't hold back. So the risk is actually greater.

23. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Chan may be prone to making stupid mistakes sometimes but the overall quality of his skating is just unparalleled, he can handle the most complex choreographies of all skaters, he can do it with a lot of elegance and style and can make the difficult look so natural and easy.

No, Patrick Chan is not overrated.:)

24. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

100% agree with you.
    I don't hate him & I'm not on this thread to bash him. But I don't think his win was ever in doubt.
    British Eurosport also felt the same as the Dutch.

25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Nobody really knows where Hanyu will go. Rippon was considered the next best thing....but watch him now. Its one thing to skate lights out when there are no expectations but much harder when much is expected.

26. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

Amen to you jettisian; you have called that PERFECTLY.
    Patrick's fundamental figure skating (skating skills, transitions, choreography as his vehicle to show this) are untouchable and is probably the best ever. The rest is truly subjective and many people enjoy other skaters much more.
    But the skating community and the judges appreciate the figure skating first. It is not as some have said, So You Think You can Dance.
    We're kind of getting into Beatrix Schuba country with this.

I'm looking at Patrick and thinking that he almost looks too big for the rink. His flow is so great that he takes 2 or 3 strides and he is completely down at the other end of the rink. This might actually be causing to hold back and get a little wonky
    (and still remain incredibly fast). That is not an excuse for mistakes, it is just interesting. In 50 years of being in skating, I have never seen it before.
    Right now, undeniably, his fundamental ability gets hims so far ahead there is room to make mistakes and still stay ahead. But that is not what average fans want to see and non skaters really have a tough time figuring out a result where a program with a fall still wins.
    When he is clean he is absolutely untouchable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  27. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yes, he is good, but he shouldn't be as unbeatable as he is. It's barely a contest anymore. Unless he sits down on the ice and makes funny faces through his music, he wins any competition. Even if he did do that, he probably wouldn't drop out of the top 10! :p

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

There are many different forms of being overrated, but as probably the most overscored skater in figure skating history of course he would fall into the overrated category.

29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

As of last season and this season, Pang/Tong are the Chan of pairs. What gross over-scoring they have been receiving and I don't see what it is in their skating that merits such inflation despite having very flawed performances. :confused:

But, that's off topic; just a frustration that I've been dealing with. Carry on . . .

30. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

What an idiotic poll/thread. :rolleyes: