Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Rafter, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I figured FSUs favourite son ;) needed his own thread. Hopefully the Chan haters will stay away. :p

Anyway, according to this article, he had a fever in the days leading up to TEB. Might explain how he skated. I also thought he looked pretty tired about half way through his long program and especially going into the second lutz which he doubled.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ir-triumph-at-bompard-trophee/article2242539/

One thing I'm glad about in this article is that he says the LP choreo isn't changing. Although maybe Nicol needs to take out some of the transitions and he'll land the jumps better. :shuffle:

Is it too late for him to get a new SP?

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

I have no idea, but it would be nice if he did. I'm trying to think of a singles skater who successfully defended his/her world title when repeating the short program, but so far can't.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Patrick surely didn't look well in his lp in TEB. I have to admit, I've become more nervous with the scores judges gave out for him though. For this he now has more pressures of skating decent programs without falls from chan haters..

Maybe after GPF he could do something on his sp but it's too short to prepare a whole new thing since Canadian Nationals are just one month away from GPF and it's not like his program is woven together with just plain jumps and blank transitions like other skaters/choreographers often do. His programs are always of the great, hardest quality among all disciplines IMO. Well, maybe not in the music choices:( please Nichol you know you can do better, the best with PChiddy, C'MON!:mad:

4. sequins

sequins Active Member

I love PChiddy! But, I love(d) his SP....last year. Time for a new one please. Let the haters hate! Go Patty!

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't mind the SP, but how in the heck is it suposed to be about "a guy trying to impress a girl he met at a bar" ?

6. puglover

puglover Active Member

I am on the Chan fan wagon. I think he is incredible and I love his new free program. It seems wise to me to keep one program per year - especially in these last few years where he has added the quads in both the short and long. I love the fact that he is a confident Canadian - kind of an oxymoron - and I always feel he goes for it and pushes each edge and never plays it safe. I hope someday I can see him live - a dream of mine.

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, he is something very special to see live. I've seen him a few times and am always amazed at his speed and energy, his edges, and the way he uses his entire body. He does take chances, but watching his footwork at Skate Canada, I was very much moved by his connection with his music especially with the new LP.......absolutely friggin' amazing. He was flying, floating, free. It's something that doesn't come across on TV, as I've watched him on the big screen numerous times. He has a special gift. No-one even came close. Unfortunately, I've never seen him skate clean like he does at the end of the season, but some day I hope to do that. He was ill at TEB, and he didn't seem to have that same effortless delivery that I saw at Skate Canada, but I think he still delivered as best he could, and it was better than anyone else there........so cudo's to him for that. I hope this year ends like last year with clean programs skated to the max...........Goooo Patrick!!!!! :)

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I think that Patrick getting a new SP this season is totally out of the question but he could do something about Take Five though, that is wear a different and more exciting outfit, it would make the program look fresh IMO.
    Anyhow, Chan is a terrific skater and I wish him the best of luck in the competitions to come.:kickass:

9. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I have a question about his jumps. Last season, he was still falling all over the place but became mad consistent from GPF onwards IIRC. I think I read somewhere that this new video technology really helped him to land those quads. But, it seems again at the beginning of this season he's falling more on the quad again.

Is this normal, to have the consistency and then lose it (compare to his own standard of course)? TEB LP was a good sign though, those quads are amazing.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I defended his PCS last season. But this season I am actually becoming a fan. The effortlessness of his blade and movement is almost ridiculous.

With his skating quality and programs (and now more often than not landing the quads), he really does deserve to have a lot of breathing room against almost the whole lackluster mens field these recent seasons. The only exceptions I would make would be for Takahashi and a very "on" Abbott and Kozuka.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh no, I am sorry to hear he was sick. Hope he is recovering now and is ready to train for GPF. :kickass:

This. Watching his LP this season really converted me to Chandom.

12. PCFan

PCFan New Member

Love Patrick's new LP, but was disappointed in his TEB performance. Every time I started to enjoy it he would make a mistake and this time it had a negative impact on the overall performance for me. I will say he ended it strong and hope to see it skated to it's full potential more than once this season. Am I asking for too much. :)

Patrick has shown a greater sensitivty to the music and his upper body movements are softer and more supple than last year. He's obviously been taking dance classes. And I can only imagin how far Patrick's growth in these areas would be if he stretched himself even further with new programs/choreographers each season. I'm of the belief that the more you do the better you get. So I'd like to see Patrick get out of his comfort zone, try a different choreographer for the SP and produce two new programs next year.

I'm not a fan of keeping programs and I wonder if this will hurt Patrick in the judges eyes when most of his rivals have new ones with the exception of Brezina? I think the expectation is if the program is carried over to the next season it should be performed at a greater level. And I'm not sure Patrick can top his 2011 worlds performance.

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I like his short program and don't mind him reusing it.

His programs are so complex and need so much polish that I understand why he doesn't want to bring in 2 new ones each season. I don't mind him reusing one program each season so long as he keeps improving, either his consistency, his 3axel, his spins, his footwork, or finally a 4sal... :p

14. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Love Patrick Chan and his all programs! :swoon:

Including silly falls during Step Seq and jumps.

15. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

I´m happy to join this uber thread. :D:cheer2:

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

The first time we saw him in person was at 2007 Skate America in Reading, PA. I was very impressed then, and even more so now. I do feel that he has been overscored a number of times (margin of victory), and have been puzzled over certain wins (considering the falls), but over all is still a joy to watch.

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I like his short program because he skates it so well and don't mind seeing it again. Take 5 is the kind of rythmic soft jazz I like......very easy to listen to. I think it's a bit late for him to change it now, but I remember reading that he will have 2 new programs next year, etc.

18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

This was an extra tough year for Patrick due to late worlds followed by a number of exhibitions and shows.

I has on ice seats for the Ontario Skate awards show ( cannot recall actual name) and was speechless as he flew across the ice. I am looking forward to seeing him in the GPF so hope he has all the kinks over by then.

I love his Aranjuez program -- gives me goose bumps. I know that he skated through the music sometimes with POTO but I think he really feels the music and story line here.

19. crystalice

crystalice Banned Member

Ah.. your evil sense of humor... :rollin:

20. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Hurray for this thread!! I can finally come out as a Patrick Uber!

I am sick of defending him to the haters. It's such a relief to read the CORRECT opinions (lol) of other Chan lovers.

I love his Take 5 SP. I haven't fallen in love with Aranjuez yet, but I'm sure I will.

Go Patrick!!

21. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

As some wise person once said "It's not how you start, but how you finish" that is key!

Patrick as a new world champion, is merely taking a page out of the Russian and practically every new world champ play books; they all count on the benefit of the doubt and earned PCS + politiking, general fan buzz, to hold them up during the GP season.

Most elite skater types doing only enough to ensure they qualify for the GPfinal.

But all these champion types will tend to ramp up and prepare properly for the GPF and their expected placements relative to each other and some may do more to fuze any forward momentum they have garnered for the rest of the season. You can bet that all will also incrementally increase training again for the major, remaining comps.

Undoubtably Patrick will be his true warrior self, completely ready and fully prepared (technically and artistically) to defend his title at worlds, esp if last season and his trajectory then, over the course of the season, is anything to go by.

His work ethic is insane, so I am not concerned, I would be more worried if he was as perfect as he was last April. I want Patrick healthy and injury free when it counts, and honestly, Patrick at half capacity is still better than the rest of the field going on full tanks and all gunning just for him. The judges can make it look like a contest by keep scores close in the SP, but it is the LP than separates the boys from the men and that is where Patrick will continue to shine and be glorious, due to his superior conditioning and flat out, uber talent.

Yeah, it sucks sometimes to see our heroes lose some luster in the early season, and when I was a younger, not so savy skating fan, I would worry and stress than my favs were going to blow it big time and not be able to defend. I would wonder why they did not all come out fully prepared, the simple answer being that most champs do not have to; they mostly all have a big buffer to carry them to victory, even for what is considered for them to be a sub par skate.

Unless their particualr discipline is extremely competitive, that brief respite from full out, uber training, is what their bodies deserve to keep them in tip top form, or at least as injury free as possible. That crucial time out was earned over the previous years run up to glory; so less stellar performances in the early season, from the really elite skaters will continue to be a fact of life, and this is not likely to change. Unless of course the discipline itself, becomes much stronger, and thus far more competitive at the top. The year before, and year of, OLY, are the 2 exceptions to the rule, since GP momentum while it may be more critical for those pushing to the top, only the truly great and confident champs can afford to be cautious, or less stellar at start up events, as who wants to risk injury esp in a run up event like a GP, and thus take selves out of punching a ticket to the big Sochi show?

Patrick earned the right with his practically flawless, record breaking skates at last year's worlds, to take it a bit more easy on his body during this season's grand prix events. We fans still get treated to a great show of his superlative skating skills despite a few glitches here and there, and when he's not sick like he was at TEB then he is usually up very quickly and back into the program, so minimal disruption. But even on his worst day, weak from fighting flu, etc., he is still proves himself better than 90% of the rest of his field, he is smart and talented enough, to do just what is necessary to get the job done.

I actually see an improvement from last season esp in terms of his artistry, and he is also far more experienced at keeping his head when an unexpected mistake happens...

Can you tell I adore Patrick's skating?

P.S. I don't mind him changing only 1 program every season, since his are the most complex, it stands to reason, that it takes 2 full seasons of competing them to bring them to complete potential. I like the new LP costume and agree that a costume change for the programs he does keep would be a smart way to keep them fresh...

22. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Does anyone know if he's going to be skating in any of Yuna's shows when the season is over? Things she's involved in always seem to have the best production values.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  23. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

24. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That's a hoot....I wish I were going to the GPF. I hope they show it on TV............Patrick will surely get a big kick out of it.:lol::lol::lol:

25. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Before I haven't liked Chan at all, but this season I suddenly found myself really adoring his skating. :swoon:

Go Patrick!

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Me too- I'm definetly not an uber, but I finally "get it". I defended his scores to a friend this weekend. She rewatched the program and saw what I finally saw- he never stops skating. He doesn't telegraph anything, he doesn't take dance breaks. All his emotion is while he is doing difficult transition footworks. He doesn't need to stand in place to story tell (or catch his breathe).

I can forgive more mistakes now that I see that he is really really going for it.

27. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is THIS why my rep status is now "throwing panties at patrick"?

And do people actually do that? Because that is hysterical, and weirdly makes a lot more sense than stuffies...

28. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The first skate I saw from Chan was his 4CC 2009 SP.

Been a fan ever since.

29. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Yup it happened at Skate Canada this year and Patrick actually was pretty amused by it even pointed out to his coach in Kiss n Cry. I think he said, his life long goal is now fulfilled now but then said ewww he doesn't want it when his coach asked him if there was a number on it. :lol:

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

^ This!
    There is only so much time in a skater's training and skaters have to choose how to spend it.

I don't mind AT ALL if he keeps a program for more than a year since it allows him the time to work on everything he can do brilliantly.

LOVED LOVED LOVED seeing his long program at Nats last year. I have watched a LOT of skating in my life - and watching that program live is one of the absolute highlights.

Likewise, I don't begrudge him falling as he works the bugs out of whatever new element / feature / skill he is trying to add or improve.

PS - I like it here! :) :swoon:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.