Patrick Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Eyre

Eyre New Member

It takes skills to do "figure butt-gliding".:shuffle: At least I don't remember seeing one.:p

2. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan admits being 'intimidated' at Japan Open
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2012/10/17/sp-patrick-chan-figure-skating.html?cmp=rss
    Chan believes the lack of motivation is a normal process coming on the heels of winning back-to-back world titles.

"I guess you become numb to the feeling of accomplishing something. It's hard to explain," he said.

He said he was intimidated by the presence in Japan of Russian star Evgeni Plushenko and 2010 world champion Daisuke Takahashi, who both looked strong during practice.

"I was a bit surprised by how ready they were at the competition, I think i got a bit intimidated, I didn't give myself the benefit of the doubt," Chan said. "I went into my turtle shell, kind of hid from everyone, and didn't really commit to the programs, so I think that's why I skated the way I skated, which wasn't great."

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Okay, okay, I know this is gonna come off sounding wrong, but really, Patrick? You were surprised that Takahashi and Plushenko looked ready for a competition? What did you think, that they'd turn up half-baked?

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^ You like to read negativity in everything don't you misskarne?

5. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

It just sounds like a really odd thing to say.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I don't see anything odd is that, as it's probably the truth :), and he wasn't ready and on top of his game.....pretty obvious. I'm glad that he has his nose to the grindstone again.

7. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

double post

8. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

No, Chan, you were brilliant despite of that all falls.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  9. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

All I felt was how these falls take away people's attention to a program however fast everytime he gets up, and distract audience's concentration and focus on the program and make them lose interest in it and keep them from enjoy it, (how can a person enjoy it if you see 4 falls before your eyes during only 4minutes or so?) however well-constructed the program is, and in the end sadly audience don't feel the music or don't understand what the story is about and can never be happy. Sigh.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:respec:

11. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Why? In the last year's JO, Patrick won with three falls simply because Takahashi and Kozuka were even worse. Patrick has reason to think that they could be like that again this year. When he saw how they skated at the practices, they were not like what he thought they would. Of course it'd be a surprise to him, especially he doesn't have anyone plan for him. It's something that probably Kathy Johnson has never pointed out to him since Patrick seems taking the charge and Kathy just goes along with him.

I think it's good to have Patrick feel this way. It will give him the push he needs for the battles this season.

12. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

IMO, he should just say he had a bad day. That is enough to explain. If he really thought he could win the JO again with 3 falls (which I think is not the case), I feel sorry for the audience (that would mean everybody skates terribly).

Everybody has their bad day, just move on and train harder. That's it!

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Patrick has never been one to self-censor and I find that refreshing. I think he struggles with motivation generally, he's made comments along the lines of 'it's just figure skating, if I don't win, the world won't end'. He didn't skate great at Worlds and still won. While I'm generally not in the Chanflation camp, I think losing might actually be very good for Patrick. Let's see if he steps up his game at Skate Canada.,

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Why jump to conclusions since we didn't know the queries posed to Patrick?
    Patrick didn't say that he could win by 3 falls and as far as I can remember, he has never said that. Unfortunately, words were often put into his mouth by some people or intentionally misinterpreted.

15. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH:lol:. I did not jump to any conclusion.

What I meant is that I DO NOT think Chen was thinking even with 3 falls he could still win.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

If the Japan Open was a wakeup call, Yuzuru Hanyu's SP at Skate America must have been a hurricane warning. :shuffle:

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

And Hanyu's free program was a reminder that athletes are human and that they all err.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Hey, I said hurricane warning.

In figure skating, hurricane season is usually in February and March. ;)

19. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

:
    :lol:

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Yes. How said for Hanyu that his season peak was the SA short program. And that his season is all downhill from here.... :wuzrobbed

;)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA.

:rofl:

I bet and I hope he comes back strong at SC this time.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Okay, so he does have a technical coach on his team, though I've never heard of Shipstad. We'll have to see if a few hours a week is enough. Having done triples since he was 13 didn't help him in Japan and he only gained consistency on the triple axel last season.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I can't remember what the video was about, but I remember seeing Shipstad working with a skater using the jump harness.

There are a lot of great coaches that are members of coaching teams, and because they're usually not listed in the bios or at the boards, we don't know who they are. They and early coaches: it's almost a miracle that Colson is still mentioned regularly with regard to Chan, and I was happy to read in the recent Zhulin interview that he corrected Grebenkina and said that Ilinykh and Katsapolov were developed in Lobacheva's group by her and Averbukh. I wish the same were true of the genius coach who taught Berezhnaia her stroking technique.

25. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I posted this in an earlier Chan Uber thread (when it was noticed that Shipstad's name was listed with Kathy Johnson's in Chan's updated Skate Canada national team profile):

Eddie Shipstad was interviewed, along with Christy Krall and Kathy Johnson, in the 20-minute Canadian news feature that aired before 2012 Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBUMs9kkk8

ETA link to another Skate Canada preview article: Patrick Chan is not panicking

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  27. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan surrounded by new team of choreographers, coaches ahead of Sochi
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/patrick-ch...phers-coaches-ahead-sochi-222404121--oly.html
    "She has very much the same personality as I do. She is very laid back," Chan said of Johnson. "Maybe sometimes even too laid back where I don't have anybody to push me. But I'm at that point in my career where I've learned to push myself."
    While Johnson's background is dance, she's worked with skaters for more than a decade. She focuses on proper use of the body's core, not just to strengthen the artistic side of performances, but also for the technical elements such as jumps and spins.

"I do things differently. If I did the same thing as most of the other skating coaches, people wouldn't call me in to work with them," said Johnson, whose daughter was a skater.

With Johnson, Chan has been able to take on more responsibility for his training after a program under Krall that was tightly scheduled. The new approach, Johnson said, has been a natural progression for the Canadian skating star.

"He's maturing and finding himself, it's always moving into that adulthood, and there has to be that moment where you ... scoot, scoot, scoot, a bit of a kick out of the nest," she said, motioning with her hands as if she was pushing a bird. "I think Patrick really did need to take a step back and reassess what he wanted and where he was going."

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Thanks for the links and the quotes!

And Patrick really listened to Johnson, didn't he?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

If Johnson is the first of his coaches to emphasize the importance of the core, I would be shocked. Sorry, but there seems to be a false note in the explanations from both Johnson and Chan.

A bio of Johnson has probably already been posted, but since this is under discussion now refreshing it doesn't seem out of line. Interesting to me is her close association and admiration (for Tom Dickson) and Colorado Springs World Arena.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/danceforfigureskating/a/kathyjohnson.htm

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Any guesses as to why or comments on Chan's choosing to do a 3t/3t in the short program at Skate Canada ?