Patrick Chan reboots in Calgary and at Detroit SC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Oh man, couldn't you see him training in Detroit for next season. That could be TOTALLY awesome, I think. He's living with Kaitlyn and Andrew and having fun. Yeppers, having fun can relax you and allow you to train well, I would think?

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

:shuffle:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Princess and the Pea. :drama:

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

When I first read that he was considering a move to Detroit after worlds, I wondered if he would change coaches again, but it sounds like his coach would move too.

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Oh, that's what it was at Skate Canada, unfamiliar food and surroundings :rolleyes:

7. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Something TOLD ME to stop by

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Must one own steel-toed boots to attend this thread? Or can anyone partake?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

'You're a slut and I hate you' (said Sylvia Night). Does that answer your question? Bitch. *Lv4 bitchface at you*

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Chan had better think about his coaching situation for next year. Having someone who's not even a former skater as your coach is not a good thing to have going into an Olympic year. At the very least he needs a jump coach because his jumps are getting sloppy and Kathy Johnson is not qualified to help him with that.

11. Sylvia

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  12. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Perplexed? Why are Tarosova and Kovtun there?

13. Sylvia

Some of the Russian and French skaters are training at DSC before Worlds.

14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is this common practice? It just strikes me as strange. Are the skaters that regularly train there given a voice in the matter (do you mind if x and x come train here before worlds?) or is it dictatorial? And is there a bi-lateral agreement with Russia that our skaters can do the same (although i can think of few reasons they would want to, except maybe Johnny lol)?

15. feraina

feraina Active Member

Well, U.S. rinks's freestyle sessions are open to everyone (qualified by level). Coaches need permission from the rink to teach for a fee. But I think it is pretty common. I remember for the 2009 World Championships in LA, the entire French team came down to San Diego to train beforehand.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:huh:

Ice rinks in the US are private facilities. As long as you pay, you can use them.

17. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Another issue is Kathy Johnson's certification. Does she have any accreditation with Skate Canada? Has she been given any automatically by virtue of her working with Patrick? Because in Canada, you must have some sort of certification with Skate Canada to coach at a club. You technically aren't even supposed to have non-skating choreographers coaching you on the ice, like even having a ballerina come in a correct your posture. Doesn't mean it's not done, but by the actual rules it's not supposed to be. Now, I think it's a bit absurd but those are the rules. In the US, it's much much easier in that regard. That's probably why Patrick is in Detroit, not London or Toronto.

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly true of this rink, but there are a number of publicly owned (usually municipal) and operated rinks in the United States. Google: publicly owned and operated ice skating rinks in the United States.

19. Sylvia

From the DSC web site: "The Detroit Skating Club is one of only a handful of clubs in the United States that owns and operates its own facility. The club is totally managed by the member elected Board of Directors."

Jerod Swallow is the Managing Director of DSC and should be the one who authorizes who can utilize DSC ice as visiting skaters, coaches and/or choreographers, including the fees they must pay.

ETA link to more photos of the visiting and resident skaters at Detroit SC before Worlds: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=42499144

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  20. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Has he not heard of "the curse"? :eek:

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And everybody can still use them if they pay for it. Not like they are owned by USFS and for exclusive use of American skaters.

You can't compare it to the Russian system where the federation pays for pretty much everything for you, including your lunch.

22. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Very true - I wonder if there's anyone who can provide Chan with some guidance in this area. Someone he would listen to....such as Browning or Buttle - both of whom he seems to have a trusting/mentor like relationship with.

I also wondered about this? I believe here in the USA you don't need to be certified, but most top coaches are educated/accredited through the PSA rating system. I do believe you need to be a member of the PSA to attend domestic competition. But yes, Skate Canada has required NCCP coaching certification levels that must be obtained to coach on Skate Canada club ice and to attend Skate Canada domestic competitions as a coach. I wondered how Johnson received coaching accreditation for Canadian nationals? Maybe as a foreign coach?

23. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

DSC has three sheets of ice. There's probably plenty of ice time to go around, especially during the day when ice is underutilized.

24. madm

madm Active Member

USFS coaching requirements are described in detail here: http://usfigureskating.org/content.asp?menu=coaches&id=452

Four Requirements
    • 1. U.S. Figure Skating Membership
      2. Coach Registration
      3. Continuing Education Requirement Compliance
      4. PSA Membership (for qualifying competitions only)

25. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Thanks for this madm. So I wonder..have we found a loop hole? Would Johnson even need USFS coaching certification? If she doesn't coach skaters on Team USA/qualifying competitions or coach on club ice/test skaters (I'm assuming she doesn't coach Patrick on the ice in skates...) then it looks like she doesn't need USFS certification.

And we don't think she has accreditation with Skate Canada, because it would be extremely difficult to achieve NCCP certification without being a former skater....

Lots of questions!

I do hope Patrick finds a figure skating coach for the coming season...of course off ice teachers have a place, but I think having a technical coach on the team would be of huge benefit.

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My club requires all coaches on club sessions to be USFS certified. It doesn't matter if they stand at the boards or skate along. I believe they require this because USFS requires it of them (a lot of coaches were really upset by it, as we have a very low level club, and the club loses a lot of money due to this.)
    However, rink hosted freestyle or public sessions don't require anything to coach- not even insurance (my rink is a bit insane, IMO). And there is no fee paid to the rink by the coach, they are just happy to have the skaters there, and coaches attract skaters.

So it really depends how DSC classifies their ice, and what the rink requires.

27. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Kathy Johnson is listed on Patrick Chan's Skate Canada and ISU bios as his coach; clearly, Skate Canada is fine with her working in that capacity, whatever her certifications. As for Patrick needing "guidance" or a "real" skating coach, I think he knows what he needs (or wants) from his skating and the rest of his life better than us fans.

28. madm

madm Active Member

29. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I don't think Skate Canada can control the coaching of their athletes outside of the country - but Skate Canada has rules for domestic coaches as mentioned by triple_toe:

2. Important Reminder – Are You at Risk? (coaches/clubs)
    Skate Canada would like to remind clubs, skating schools, coaches, and members that Skate
    Canada rules state that only current registered Skate Canada coaches who are certified through
    the National Coach Certification Program (NCCP) are permitted to instruct members on Skate
    Canada club or skating school ice. Individuals referred to as choreographers, stylists, life
    coaches, ballet coaches, theater coaches, mental trainers, creative dance coaches, etc. do not
    meet the Skate Canada requirements to instruct members on Skate Canada club or skating
    school ice. To be clear, these individuals are not permitted to instruct members regardless of
    the individual’s position in the arena (from the boards, in the stands, etc.).
    Choreographers who meet the Skate Canada professional coach membership requirements and
    are currently registered professional coaches with Skate Canada may instruct on club or skating
    school ice. Failing to abide by Skate Canada rules may put all individuals involved at risk and could
    jeopardize the club or skating school’s membership with Skate Canada. Clubs and skating
    schools may choose to hire non skating professionals to offer off-ice instruction to their
    members. The individual must have his/her own liability insurance.

What I take from the above is that Kathy Johnson would not be eligible to coach Patrick if he was training in Canada.

The Skate Canada policy for coaching accreditation for events states:

1.0 PROFESSIONAL COACHES

1.1 FUNDING AND ACCREDITATION: In order to receive funding and accreditation from the
    Association, Skate Canada professional coaches must meet the following minimum
    standards:

INTERNATIONAL, CANADIANS, CANADA GAMES: be NCCP Level 3 certified for ISU
    sanctioned International competitions, Canadian Figure Skating Championships and/or
    Canada Games.

However, there is a foreign coach bullet - which I assume Johnson falls under... as it doesn't seem to require the foreign coach to have credentials with their home country association

1.7 FOREIGN COACH ACCREDITATION: Foreign coaches (including other foreign individuals
    who work with figure skaters), who have not started coaching in a Skate Canada or
    sanctioned skating school, may apply to the Association for a Special Accreditation and
    Photo ID upon payment of the prescribed fee as set by the Board of Directors in
    connection with one or more particular events and/or competitions.

And yes Jenifer, you are correct - I'm just a fan and don't know what Patrick personally wants or needs. I should have been more clear that it is only my opinion that he consult a technical coach...because as a fan I feel he's been struggling in that area. I'm sorry if my comments offended anyone. I'm new to FSU (although a long time lurker). I really enjoy the board and the insight / opinions of other fans - not to mention the level of knowledge is amazing and I find this board far more informative than any news articles.

30. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

As La La Candy said, it's not about whether they're fine with her working with him, it's about the legalities of her coaching on a skating session in Canada within the confines of Skate Canada's regulations. She's not allowed to, regardless of whether they love her or hate her.