Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by tkaug, Apr 13, 2013.

1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

You are 100% right. If the WTT took on the exact same rules that the Olympics will have, it wouldn't be so bad. But they still insist on having two men and ladies to confuse the public even more. When both competitions are identicle, it will hold more weight, at this time I don't consider any members of a winning team "world champions" unless they won it in an individual competition. The WTT is just not up to snuff yet.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

But that's not how team competitions work. Do you consider a team Olympic gold medalist (gymnastics maybe? Or a swimming/track relay) to be less of a medalist if they didn't win their apparatus/leg?

Personally, I don't consider them to be world champions, because this competitions isn't the world championship.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

We are not talking about the Olympics we are talking about the WTT, which bears no resemblance to even the Olympic team competition in skating. The WTT to me is just another competition like the Japan Open.

4. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

In gymnastics the team event is before the individual.

5. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Agree...The World Team Championships is a team event..just as the World Championships is a solo event.
    No one says Russia won the World Championships by totalling all of it's individual placements...it is NOT a team event.
    Similarly ..in a Team event..an individual does not 'beat' another individual...theu contribute to the 'team win' by points derived from a performance.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's up to the Federations. Unlike WTT, where there are sanctions for not participating under certain circumstances from the ISU. If it's important enough to the Federation, they'll use requirements or pressure to ensure participation. Of the three nations that are expected to be most competitive -- US, Russia, Canada, Russia's the only one between a rock and a hard place for the Men's discipline, because they only have one spot. Of the other nations who have shots at the final, the Reeds and T/K would have to be in if participation is important to the Japanese Fed, the lone male skater for China will do what the Fed wants, it's possible that the Italian male skater and T/K will only get to the Olympics via an appointment to the team event, and it's hard to imagine that the lone French Ladies skater wouldn't want to skate, especially since the Ladies event is at the end

They're not World Champions because WTT isn't part of the World Championships. If a team event were added to the World Championships, the winners would be World Champions regardless of the format or whether any of us approved.

7. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

You're absolutely right kwanfan 1818.
    My point was that a team wins a team event...no individual results count..and an individual wins an individual event..no team results can be derived from that unless a Team criteria is defined ( Nebelhorn Trophy and Fritz Geiger Cup for example)

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That would be odd, because there wouldn't a separate competition for it, and it's counterintuitive that they'd throw money at it without getting something out of it. When they had given money apart from an event, it was like a World Cup kind of bonus for the season, using World Ranking points, to encourage skaters to do GP, but that didn't last long.

9. screech

screech Well-Known Member

He wasn't hoping to start preparing for the O's at that time, plus he wasn't just coming off his biggest competition of the year.

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't recall Evan Lysacek being so whiny about having to go to the WTT after winning Worlds, and that was a pre-Olympic year too, plus he was injured and the skaters reportedly were not given nearly as much notice (source). I realize Lysacek is possibly the most media trained skater in existence, but it's not that hard to come up with an inoffensive statement even if you do have issues with the timing of the event.

Though to his credit, Chan is one of the few skaters to have competed at the WTT all three times so far (along with Abbott, Joubert and the Reeds).

11. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Chan is so full of FECES his toilet is jealous. His toilet is chronically envious because Chan is ALWAYS full of it.

12. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Classy.

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Some of the posters take their venom to newer and newer heights. The funny part is that their comments say nothing about Chan but only speak about themselves!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

If it weren't for Patrick, Scott, and Plush, what would we have to talk about?

15. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

If Chan wants to put this disaster of Worlds and WTT behind him, he has to start using his brain and stop thinking with his "Johnson." This is the root of his troubles because he is a total Momma's Boy, i.e. a tough-talking, macho-appearing man who is totally dependent on the women in his life for his maintenance, ego, etc., and all things he won't do for himself.

He is a mentally weak individual when it comes to being a true-blue COMPETITOR. He doesn't want to compete, he wants to be crowned. He doesn't want to win for satisfaction, he wants to win for the adoration of a nation. When he doesn't jump well, he blames and blames and blames and makes excuses. Then he states he should win the competitions anyway.

He is apparently a cry-baby, an expert excuse maker and a mental weakling, IMHO. This is why I am not a fan of his skating or him.

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Thank you for so much detailed insight into Patrick's character and psyche, since you apparently you know him personally, and SO well.
    :rolleyes:

I imagine he'd be delighted to not have you as a fan.

17. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Exactly!

18. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Aren't ALL the skaters coming off their biggest competition of the year, and aren't they ALL about to start preparing for the Olympics?

Anyway, he will start his preparations for the Olympics by skating in SOI and then doing a tour in China.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes, they are. However not all of them are going directly into a tour to earn the money to pay for the next season. It would have been an advantage to Chan to have used the time between Worlds and 19 April to work on his program(s) for next year. V/M, who are on the same tour, didn't go to WTT, even though they've been practicing an altered version of "Carmen" for Canadian Stars on Ice. Wagner and Duhamel/Radford were on the same schedule as Chan.

There seems to be a double-standard for singles and teams in WTT; M/T-M could have gone if D/R didn't want to go, but it seems the singles are expected to show up unless they're injured.

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I didn't know that multiple achievements in figure skating would get you the adoration of a nation in Canada. I've always thought few Canadians really care for this sport, which would explain why sponsors aren't easy to find at all and skaters whose parents aren't wealthy have a lot of difficulty in financing their training. But as a non-Canadian, I don't know much about the popularity of figure skating in Chan's country and maybe Canadians do kiss the ground their figure skating champions walk on.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yeah, all of those parades that were planned, ending in a coronation. All on hold now.

22. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, some people still hate him for his brutal display of honesty at WTT (which I don't personally get? That was not the first time he expressed his disdain for WTT).

23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Figure skating is fairly popular here, I'd say more popular than it is in the US. But I wouldn't say we kiss ground our figure skating champions walk on. We root for skaters from our own country just as people from other countries do. But that doesn't mean that we favour all Canadian skaters above all others or are unable to objectively appraise them. For example, I expect you'll find few Canadians who think D&R should have beaten S&S in pairs at Worlds, despite having the cleaner skate. Or going back much further, few Canadians who think Stojko should have beat Urmanov in the 94 Olympics.

24. screech

screech Well-Known Member

It's popular, but not well known. Not everybody knows the name 'Buttle' or 'Dube/Davison', though Buttle is definitely more well known. It was rather big here when he won worlds - he was invited to do a skit on Canada's biggest sketch comedy s how (and demonstrated that he should stick to skating and not acting). It's definitely not the same as during the days of Browning or Stojko. Chan has, (a few years, I believe) won awards for being the amateur best male athlete in Canada, though.

Most people get their skating exposure through the O's, which would be why people know of Buttle, or Virtue/Moir, or Rochette. Or through Battle of the Blades, these days. A Canadian non-skating fan isn't all that likely to watch skating on TV if it's not the O's.

So no, Chan doesn't have the adoration of a nation, though people acknowledge that he is good at what he does. He does seem generally well liked here, though.

25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Me three!

26. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

:rofl:

27. Eyre

Eyre New Member

That just showed your burning hatred to him. Chan will be very happy if you feel the same like this after Sochi.:D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  28. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

(in reply to someone (I believe it was the topic starter, but I could be wrong..) stating that it was unusual for Chan to fall three times in his FP)

Yes. This. WHY would anyone think this was unusual?? He's been doing it and winning all year..only this time was different. The only thing I was 'irritated' about during this competition was that there was no Artur Gachinski skating in it...Thank you. That is all.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  29. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Three words: World TEAM Trophy.

30. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

I just want to know why, when anyone says anything remotely negative about Patrick Chan, their comments are perceived as "Seething with hate" for the man. I do NOT hate Patrick Chan..he has done nothing to me. But this season, he has won so many competitions with sub-par skates that I believe, IMHO, that we should just mail him the Gold for Sochi, and let the other skaters concentrate on the next Olympics!! Patrick CAN save himself..but he needs a new technical coach to do it. He skates like this and wins the Olympics....well, I would not want to be held responsible for what happens to him...in the press, of course. So, he'd best be sucking it up now, and figuring out how to handle it. He has no problem with a sub-par skate (IE Worlds this year). What he has a problem with is not WINNING with a sub-par skate.

And there is as much venom in the replies to folks who call Chan out as there is in the original post...just sayin'..