Patrick Chan - 300 points total - discuss

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Looper, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Looper

Looper New Member

Hey there,

Just finished watching Patricks free skate in Moncton. Just enough performance and room to peak at Worlds. Interested to see people's posts.....:rollin:

2. vmfan

vmfan New Member

patrick was pretty clean...but can be just slightly better such as the 4t-3t...rather than the 4t-2t he did in the lp....his footwork was pretty sublime tho he might be able to do it slightly better...who knows...if he skates that way at worlds dont think anyone could beat him but you never know...his 3 axel looks more solid, of course probably jinxing him in saying that.

3. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

No.. what he did was better, actually... adding the 3T onto the flip.. cuz then he also got the bonus for it being in the 2nd half. If he had done it at the beginning he would only have been able to do a double there.

4. vmfan

vmfan New Member

i stand corrected....

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Patrick is an amazing skater, no doubt.

The one area I think could use some improvement would be his spins. They're acceptable but just kind of okay, nothing special. His camel positions are not ideal.

His jumps are gorgeous and he's about the only skater out there that makes those step sequences really work. Beautiful.

6. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Totally disagree, his spins have improved a lot, they are very good now, so NO, I don't think he needs to be Ruh, or Lambie,l in terms of spins to make his mark on skating as he is a much more total complete and sublime package.

7. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

His spins are great. Fast, well centered, good positions. Orser was talking on Ctv about his good spins.

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Level 4 footwork in the free? Though it's worth noting that when he started doing two quads in the LP, he was unable to do that

9. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

If he does what he did here at nationals at worlds, he will not be beat by anyone, no matter what they do (unless they show up with all 5 different quads). This season. He is also riding a wave of momentum right now, and I think that will carry right to the world championships, but i do think there is still room for improvement.

Quad double toe could be better, he was a little on the heel for the quad, triple triple he did later in the program, the toe could have been a bit smoother coming out, slow freeleg. Tiny things he can iron out. Footwork and linking choreography is gorgeous as usual, but I don't think he has "peaked" with the perfect skate yet, albeit VERY close to it.

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

He usually does the combo on the 2nd quad instead of the 1st, IIRC. I think he tacked it onto the first because without it he would have stepped out. He saved his jump by adding another one - quick thinking.

Yes, his points are ridonculously high, but this is Canadians and for a national competition, he deserved it. We have to remember, he got 93 points for the SP at worlds last year, and almost 188 in the FP (with a step out), totaling almost 281. It's really not that unreasonable when you consider he's constantly improving.

And... last year at Canadians he had a lights out clean free and won Worlds handily skating almost perfectly. This year at Canadians he had a lights out clean free... will it be the same?

11. bek

bek Guest

It was a beautiful skate.

12. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

any vids yet?

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

14. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Not true. He only did one triple toe. He could have done another one.

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

His competitors at World are probably hoping right now that Patrick peaked at Nationals :)

16. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

At the end of the SP video, they showed Yuka Sato and Brian Orser backstage. I can understand why Brian was there but why was Yuka? Does she train a Canadian men's skater?

17. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Yuka coaches Eladj Balde (4th place). He switched to her just a couple of months ago.

I believe they are only allowed a maximum of 7 triples, which Patrick did (in addition to his 2 quads and double axel): 1 axel, 2 lutzes, a flip, a loop, a toe and a salchow.

18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

No, he couldn't have. He repeats the lutz and the quad toe. Another triple toe elsewhere and he'd have Oda'd himeslf.

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Jeez, 61 points between Chan and the silver medalist. What a predicament for the other male competitors.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am not a Patrick Chan fan by any means but when he skates like that he can get a 5000 for all I care. He deserves to win so his score isn't really important. That was a master piece. I hope he can maintain this through Worlds because it is scary to think he hasn't peaked yet.

21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Other than the landings on the quad combos -- which looked less than fabulous in both the short and the long -- those performances were stellar, and the marks earned. He's really flying through that one foot step sequence in the SP -- very, very impressive. Incredibly intricate and flowing choreography for both programs.

I hope he skates like this at 4CCs. I'll look forward to seeing him.

22. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I wouldn't say those points were never deserved for Patrick. 'Cause he's that gooooooooood. When he's fairly clean, it's almost like he's roaring his absolute superiority over everyone.

23. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

He just always looks like he's flying out there, I've never seen anyone skate like that.

24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I had predicted in an earlier post- before he took the ice for the LP- that he will score over 300 points.

25. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Great!!!! I donĀ“t care about the score, 300, 400, 500, :D I hope he has a clean, solid skate at Worlds. :fan:

26. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

Max # of triples is 8 with max # of jump opportunities of 8. Quads aren't included in that, but a skater is only allowed to repeat 2 jumps including quads. So, with Patrick repeating his 4T and his 3Lz, he can only do 7 triples and his 2 quads.

Kevin Reynolds, when skating a clean performance, is capable of completing 3 different quads and 8 triples in his free skate within 8 jump opportunities (3 quads - 4T, 4S, 4Lo; 8 triples - 3A, 3F+3T+3Lo, 2A+3T, 3Lz, 3S+3Lo).

27. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Sorry, I don't agree with the "good positions" part. :(

I think the world of Patrick's skating and firmly believe he deserves the lofty scores he typically receives, even when he has a mistake or two on the jumps. And while his spins have improved (the speed & centering is fine), I think the positions are average at best. I think his altered sit position is decent and I quite like the back cross-foot spin. But I think there's room for improved stretch in both the camel & sit spin. When he's performing a basic camel or basic sit spin, he needs to lift the free leg higher & stretch out, point the toe, and straighten his back. The line created just isn't as aesthetically appealing as I suspect he's capable of achieving. In the category of great Canadian spinners of recent times, I would group Buttle, Sawyer, and maybe Sandhu at the top, Stojko & Browning toward the bottom, and Chan in the middle. I'm probably being nitpicky here, but compared to the exceedingly high quality of the rest of his skating, some of his basic spin positions just don't quite measure up for me.

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

My major pet peeve on a standard camel spin is when a skater's free leg is kept lower than his upper body; It should be at least parallel to it. Joubert and Takahasi do this. For some reason this seems to be more of an issue with the men than the women, although I recall Lu Chen had the same problem.

29. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

The funny think is, I didn't think he looked as fast at Canadians as he did at the GPF. Probably because of the smaller ice surface. He didn't have the larger surface to really push it out. I felt the same about V&M and W&P.

30. DinDonShamu

DinDonShamu New Member

He deserved it ... That's all I'm going to say. For the first time this season I actually got to appreciate the full effect of his LP to Aranjuez. That was a choreographic magic. Saying I was blown away doesn't even begin to describe the effect of that program on me. If he skates like this at worlds I wouldn't be surprised if he received similar scores as he did at Canadians.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.