Patrick Chan’s new mantra: figure skaters of the world unite: DiManno

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Yes but this is an Olympic season and every day, week, month counts. Those whose season ended at Nationals, Euros or 4CC have a very big advantage as they have their choreography done and have already taken a break from training. Skaters like Patrick don't get a week off until about June by the time they finish WTT and SOI, etc and then do their new choreo. The rest of the world has a 3-4 month head start going into an Olympic year. The top competitors not competing at WTT or touring also have a big head start.
    Also in an Olympic season you have to peak earlier. Again, less time.

Patrick had shortened prep for 2010 as well with an injury and he knows how much it hurt him. He's freaking out a little and I don't blame him. This is in part a function of the pressure building for the upcoming season.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Seems to me that the pressure is building for everyone, not just out of sorts SS God Patrick Chan. Obviously Patrick has the edge (re blades on ice and ISU judges under IJS), so the major pressure for him should be figuring out how to skate two clean programs in the Olympic spotlight and get the win sans controversy. For someone who is a 3-time World champion, Patrick seems to be a bit of a prima donna.

Re the World Skating Federation effort, I think the organizers miscalculated the intricate politics and really didn't have everyone fully on board with the necessary clout and weight. They relied too much on the media making the difference, which ultimately is not a successful strategy. Cinquanta has too much power, then and now.

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Skaters who don't go to Worlds probably are not going to the Olympics anyway, or if they do, they'd be lucky to make the FS, so their very big advantage is meaningless.

It's Chan's CHOICE to do two tours. If he didn't do them, or did just one, he'd have plenty of time to rest and work on new programs. As I understand it, he is keeping his SP, so he only has to prepare a FS. Many skaters are working on TWO NEW programs for Sochi. Ice dancers ALWAYS have to prepare two new programs.

Anyway, according to Patrick, there are no skaters "like Patrick".

The world doesn't revolve around Chan and his ego. If he was less public about his feelings, he might have a lot more fans. ALL the skaters are preparing for the Olympics, and most are not sounding off like hysterical divas.

dinakt, BittyBug, Sparks and 3 others like this.
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's certainly untrue of countries/disciplines with depth or unfortunate circumstances like the Russian Men, for places where strong skaters will come from he junior ranks, or where top skaters were too injured to be fully trained for Worlds.

5. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Once again, Chan's toilet is green with envy......

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Nothing that Patrick has said or done merits that comment!

7. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Agreed. This poster has posted like comments before. Word-Most folks are not interested in your bathroom fetish
    and I wish he/she would keep said fetish to him/herself. Sad.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Eh, I find the poster's comments funny, considering Patrick made some graphic comments about his digestive system after the GPF in Sochi... something like hoping his pants remained clean throughout the skate. :lol: I would think he wouldn't be offended by that type of humor.

9. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I found this part of the interview very intriguing as well. You'd think the training conditions in Colorado Springs were somehow sub-par they way he talks. And while I'm glad he found his recent time in Detroit to be drama free, I seriously doubt he will find it remains that way, especially if he hangs out with the ice dancers. :p

10. skatesindreams

That type of "humor"/response is not appropriate here, or funny, IMO,

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I believe it's a troll

12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Click the pretty triangle.

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I think there are fewer elite skaters in Co. Springs...which means there, if Patrick takes a day off or cuts his sesh short, no one notices. In Detroit he has to show up every day...and work.

14. Dyu

Dyu New Member

sorry for the double post.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. Dyu

Dyu New Member

The thing is that there's lots of truth in his comments..

16. Bonem

Bonem New Member

I agree. These type of posts do not add to the discussion, or help educate people who are lurking in the hopes of learning more about the sport. These posts are little more than an attempt to be clever, at another person's expense.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

Not even clever, just merely crass, like grade 3 boy bathroom humor.

18. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

If you don't like them, then put the poster on ignore and move on.

CanuckSk8r and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Mont

Mont Member

I am far from an expert on the ISU finances but I do understand organizational finances in general and his comments are ridiculously simplistic and ego-centric. it seems to me the elite events support the development programs such as the junior grand prix. A series patrick benefitted from himself. We can debate the value of various ISU initiatives but I am sure that the reality for an organization like the ISU is that the big events, support the smaller. For example, I cannot imagine that a typical junior grand prix makes the organizer any money without ISU support. The lack of interest in hosting junior worlds and four continents shows that federations find those tough too. These high paying events support the others.

I have always loved patrick. I think he has a wonderful talent and is one of the great skaters. However, these types of comments are getting really tiresome and I find it harder and harder to want to see him win. His image is taking a beating. Comments like this plus his substandard performances this year are really tarnishing him. Aside from ISU displeasure, sponsors will stay away from him as in a sport like FS, I can't image sponsors wanting to deal with a loose cannon. Add to this he made quite a bit of money for his weekend in tokyo (especially compared to the average canadian) and he comes off like a spoiled brat.

If he really wants the Olympic gold, he needs to focus on training, get a proper technical coach (the reality is that his technical skills betrayed him this year and any improvements in expression/artistry are lost when you are on your backside) and keep his mouth shut. Let his performances speak. Otherwise, he will be added to the list of great skaters who never win an Olympic gold.

20. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Unfortunately the downside of doing that is, the problem persists and may spread. I'm not saying we should harp on it forever. However like witnessing bullying, sometimes it needs to be challenged immediately. The difficulty is knowing when to challenge, and when to ignore. I guess it would be the point where a Troll steps over the line and becomes a Bully. Trolls should be ignored, while Bullies need to be confronted. ...Just my opinion.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  21. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

I was just commenting on comments made by others on another's comments. :p

22. isamelia

isamelia Member

Well said, Mont.

While I find Patrick's comments colorful and would prefer honesty to the standard PC PR language, at this point he sounds petulant. I have no sympathy, that's for sure. The performance should always speak for itself- although judging is still subjective. It will be interesting to see how the Olympic year shakes out for all the skaters that have so much at stake in terms of wanting to define their careers with an Olympic medal.

23. skatesindreams

Patrick might want to do some research about what happened the last time skaters; and others who were concerned about the sport, -- some seemingly beyond reproach -- dared "challenge" the ISU.

24. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

IMO too rvi5. Even in real life, I don't believe bullies should be ignored because they will only get worse and I don't think it's just and fair for their victims to take all the crap. We are not wild animals. We are humans and we should expect a certain level of civility and behaviour among ourselves. That's why we need the rule of law and code of conduct otherwise can we imagine the mayhem and disaster from bullying mob behaviors.

25. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I honestly have no problems with what Patrick said. I also think this competition is stupid. These skaters train to peak at World's. This will never be more than an afterthought for them. As far as unions. Most sports have them. Granted some of them have been IMO getting greedy. But it is hardly ridiculous to mention it. I also think if the skaters had a union they might be able to have a hand in fixing the COP. They should as well as the coaches should have at least a real say. Which i don;t think they do. It is certainly better than the 6.0 by a land mile but it is flawed.

And a lot of these skaters do shows to help pay for their careers. Sure they get sponsorship. But a lot of times it isn't enough.

Patrick is terrible at diplomacy but I really don't give a crap. Just because you don't like his attitude doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to contribute or have a real valid point to make.

I also think discounting their training competitive schedules as no big deal is unfair. They train/create entirely new product from june/july and compete until march. They don't get paid like any other sports people and are stuck between amateur and professional status with restrictions on what they can and can't do.

26. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Sung by James, the rejected American Idol contestant.

27. chronos13

chronos13 New Member

While Patrick does lack the diplomatic finesse of his fellow skaters, I think he raises an important point. Why does the ISU have so much power (force skaters to compete and inflict penalties) and why are skaters/coaches so afraid to question their decisions? Sounds more like a dictatorship that a sports federation...

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Mont

Mont Member

Again, going off my knowledge of other similar structures. The ISU provides the competition infastructure to the athletes. They also are the international federation recognized by the IOC. So while change is almost undoubtedly needed and its ridiculous that these old people are clinging to ISU positions on council (eg Cinquanta, Dore) until virtually their last breath, even modernizing it there will be the need for some of these rules to ensure it remains viable. One cannot cut away parts without considering the whole.