Patrick Chan’s new mantra: figure skaters of the world unite: DiManno

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Three-time world champion Patrick Chan supports a union for figure skaters, if only to prevent them from being exploited by the sport’s governing body.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/skati...igure_skaters_of_the_world_unite_dimanno.html
    “I would be at the forefront of supporting a union for skaters,” the three-peat world men’s champion from Toronto declares. “This is ridiculous. I just think we’re being manipulated for the benefit of the (International Skating Union) because they’re making all the money.”

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here we go again...

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I want to give Patrick the benefit of the doubt, I really do. He's a great skater and I root for him. But...

For chrissakes, shut up, shut up, shut up! :scream:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Did he leave out the part about "You have nothing to lose but your chains"? If not, that would mean the end of a few dozen Ice Dance costumes.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

I dispute, however, at least for everywhere that's not Japan, that WTT "is designed to squeeze . . . every last entertainment dollar out of TV broadcasting revenues." Were there other countries broadcasting the competition besides Japan? (and the ISU?)

6. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The problem is that past Reynolds, there's Rogozine, who's #33 on World Standings. THAT's why Chan had to do WTT.

So he's mad at having to do WTT because there's no one at his level but him? Such modesty, such self-effacement. Does he actually believe hordes of figure skaters will heed his call to fight the ISU? Many may remember the fate of a group of judges who wanted to form a new international skating organization---they were all banned.

So it looks like he will be a union of one. This is just another episode of Chan putting foot firmly in mouth. This time he is bucking the displeasure of the ISU, and just before the Olympic year. Very clever, Paddy, very clever.

7. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

That is Rosie's opinion. I had to read the article twice to discern her thoughts vs Chan's. Does she always write like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. skateboy

All of the quotes come from Patrick himself. He is suffering from severe foot-in-mouth disease and I fear it will not do him any favors.

Team competition is now part of the Olympics. There are skaters who will not medal in their individual events that will pick up an Olympic medal in team. And Chan might be one of them...

9. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I'm going to be so disappointed if he doesn't skate to "Go Down Moses" for his FS next year.

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Let me (and my people, but mostly me...) GO!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think I have actually turned the corner.... I think I have hated Chan so much that I now actually like him!!! :rofl: I am :eek: that he is saying this stuff. It's like this is an article from the Onion. I mean he's at Pasha levels of insanity, and I am digging it. :lol:

Oh Patrick, I know you don't mean that the way it sounds, but... :lol: :lol: Cause it sounds like "Who cares if old Menshov gets injured, it could have been ME!" :rofl:

12. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Well Patrick don't expect to get invited to any Japan shows after dissing WTT which has been hosted by Japan since its inception.
    He goes on to speak for other skaters as well, maybe he should think about a career in politics after his retirement. This article
    gave me a good chuckle.

13. os168

os168 Active Member

If people can focus more on what he is trying to say instead of how he say it, it isn't so bad.

I do however recommend a translator for Patrick. I rather have him speak in French or Cantonese, and the nice pleasant lady can do whatever the nicer and prettier 'translation' version of it :p

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yes, I think he's saying what a lot of skaters are thinking, but the delivery is :rofl:

15. skateboy

Here's my take on what Patrick was actually "saying":

"Lots of people out there are saying I didn't deserve the gold at Worlds, so I'll practice really hard for WTT so I can redeem myself and prove myself to all the naysayers. [Cut to WTT.] Uh-oh, I skated even worse at WTT, so I'd better come up with SOMETHING to say. Hmmmmm... I know! I'll say that no one's really interested in WTT and that it's a stupid competition. Whew, glad I dodged that bullet!" :p

I have no doubt that Patrick wouldn't have said any of these things, had he skated great at WTT (and let's face it, others did--and they've had the same grueling schedule as everyone else). He didn't and probably doesn't really know why. He's in total defense-mechanism mode.

16. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

WTT is really the garbagest thing ever made by ISU.

“Nobody’s really interested in it. Skating is done after worlds. It’s just so different." ITA

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  17. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Same here! He is approaching a Pasha level of delusion which only can make me :cheer: !

His skating leaves zero emotional impact for me but I love how outspoken he is even if I completely disagree with it.

Now all we need is him to breathlessly perform "Happy birthday, Mr. President" during an Olympics fluff piece next year! :cheer:

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Chan could have said it better or in a more subtle way, but I agree with some points in the quoted statements. It’s a stupid event badly conceived in the first place, complete with authoritarian participation rules with ridiculous penalties for absentees.

Should the skaters be happily obligated to come to that event for fan service, like the all-star games in other professional team sports? Those games are in the mid-season all-star break and not official competition events, while the WTT is a half-serious official competition event where the official season, and even the personal, highs and lows are set. And figure skating, being an individual sport, has its own all-star competition at the Worlds where the curtain is practically being drawn on the season.

For a competition event, the timing is really bad and it can give a series of conditioning problems for the skaters both physically and mentally. Besides the potential – and real - injury risks involved, I feel it presents some awkward moments for the skaters who have to prepare for it some 3-4 weeks after the season is ended and struggle to perform the same old routines. I even pitied Asada, the biggest star for their home crowd, during the latest event, where it was surreal and eerie her struggling through the program in apparent fatigue and agony, all the while the audience clapping and cheering in unison like in some N Korean event. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Not just Asada, it looked like several of them were not in a condition to compete. I hope they just scrap it altogether, or change it to some unofficial exhibition event for prize money, on a voluntary participation basis.

19. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

:lol:
    He definitely needs to be more careful about what he says. He's young, he'll learn.

I've gotta say, though, what Patrick said made me laugh so hard! I also dig the honesty. I do feel bad, though, for the skaters who enjoy this event and for any organizers who were offended.

That was my favourite part!

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Obligatory disclaimer: it is a DiManno piece.

I think there is plenty to criticize when it comes to the ISU, and skaters could benefit from working together to effect certain changes. But I'm not sure Chan is the best person to lead the way. And this was completely out of line:
    I would think that the many people in the stands, who were wonderfully supportive of the skaters, created quite a nice atmosphere - and not just for the top skaters. Criticize the ISU if you want, but don't bitch about the Japanese fans.

Interesting that Chan is concerned about getting injured while at the WTT but apparently has no worries about possibly injuring himself while training or doing shows. I don't wish him ill in that regard, but the odds of injury aren't higher just because one dislikes an event.

I wonder if Chan has finally said some things that might come back to hurt him.

21. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Yeah, Rosie is pretty bad.
    I thought he was referring to his training rink and saying that there wasn't the same incentive to train because the season felt over to him. I still find this article really funny, lol.

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Skaters particularly Patrick should be banned from talking to Rosie DiManno and Phil Hersh! ;)

I would think that training for shows is different from training for competitions. There are no rules to follow in shows and the choreographer and skater can do what they like best. WTT may be best moved to a date where the skaters are more comfortable and rested.

23. Zemgirl

I guess that's possible. But training at an empty rink is never as exciting as skating in a championship - yet surely he should have learned how to motivate himself by now?

Joubert said that he didn't really get much training in between Worlds and the WTT, but he didn't complain about the event or its timing; it was just mentioned as a statement of fact. I guess Brian is now the diplomatic elder statesman? ;) I'm pretty sure he was the oldest singles skater at Worlds and the WTT...

The only real mishap in the first two WTTs that I can recall happened in the gala. Isabel Delobel suffered a shoulder injury while skating in a gala, ending DelSchoes' pre-Olympic season. And I meant that skaters can injure themselves in training before and during the season, though obviously I hope it'll be an injury-free Olympic season (not likely, I know...)

I think you meant that Rosie should be banned from covering skating? :p That said, Patrick has managed to say some :eek: things over the years to many reporters, not just her. At this point it can't just be written off as youth and inexperience; either he doesn't understand how to deal with the media, or he's doing it on purpose.

24. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Will he?!

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That was at GPF, unlike Dube/Davison's. What a shame.

26. Zemgirl

I know. I didn't say that she was injured in the WTT, because they never competed there - I was just giving examples of the dangerous nature of galas :D

Also :( and :fragile: about DelSchoes. Maybe if the injury hadn't happened, she would have waited to have the baby and they would have medalled in Vancouver...

27. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

So let's see, Patrick competed the grand total of 6 times this season, that includes WTT and may be missing any club competitions he may have done in the summer that I'm not aware of. Swimmers usually do at least ten competitions per year and that includes the champions, football players have a game at least once per week but they are professionals so that's different... In short, a top level figure skater doesn't do that many competitions per season, I understand that it must feel bad not to be able to refuse to do a competition but that's what happens when someone pays for your training, or is Patrick refusing Skate Canada's money now too?
    Japan is probably the biggest market for figure skaters right now, if I were one I'd be thrilled to have a large Japanese fanbase! It's unfortunate that the ISU has to establish rules to force the top skaters to do more than just nationals and worlds... because it's sad that some skaters would rather just do that...

28. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think he is absolutely right. The ISU is mostly interested in their bank balance. I think the national federations probably have broader agendas, but really nobody has the interests of the skaters first and foremost.

It isn't just the dopey Team event that has those rules. The GP series also has authoritarian participation rules with ridiculous penalties. They regulate what top skaters can do during that whole section of the calendar, they prohibit participation in exhibitions around the time of Worlds, they even regulate what shows or tours skaters can do in the off season.

None of that has anything to do with maintaining fair play in the athletic arena. It is all about protecting the ISU's monopoly. There aren't many other lines of work where one isn't entitled to sell their services when and where they want.

29. Zemgirl

The ISU should make sure it's doing well financially and protect its interests, though of course this should not be done in a manner harmful to the skaters. But requiring participation in certain events is not harmful or onerous, contrary to what Chan suggests. All sports have rules in place regarding what athletes can or cannot do, compensation, restrictions etc.

In some sports, athletes face much stricter rules than skaters do. Major League Baseball, for instance, has probably the strongest players' union in professional sports. Yet players get drafted and have no say in what organization they will go into. They are then under that organization's control at the minor league level for - what is it, 6 years? - during which time they can be sent anywhere, any time, be paid next to nothing and expected to play a far more punishing schedule in far less luxurious settings than skaters, and they don't get a profitable sideline that's equivalent to skating shows. Once in the majors, the financial compensation is fantastic, but players can still be sent down, traded, placed on waivers. Free agency comes after six years at the major league level - that can be a decade and more into a someone's professional career before they can sell their services when and where they want. Baseball is just one example, there are obviously others; all major American sports have a draft, for instance. If you want to compete, you have to play by those rules. If the rules are legally problematic, that's another matter. But I don't think that's the case with skating.

I really don't think skaters have it all that bad. Perhaps the money isn't what it used to be, but a skater of Chan's level can still earn a fair bit via prize money and shows and is free to participate in them at his convenience for much of the year. I'm sorry if I can't work up much sympathy for him, and would rather look at the benefits the WTT has for fans and for other skaters, who can earn substantial prize money at a low-stress competition.

I do support unionization for skaters. I think it can do a lot of good and there are areas in which this would ensure better treatment and protections for skaters. But that's not the case Patrick is making, and his "woe is me" argument is not a good way of going about it.

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Proustable

Proustable New Member

What is there to say? I just wish he was more self-aware and recognized how what he's saying could reasonably be interpreted. Zemgirl's quote in particular strikes me as just lunatic of him. But in general, I don't understand the decisions and comments he's made.