Pastor Killed by Snake Bite...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 30, 2012.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Snakehandling Pentecostal preachers once were fairly common in certain areas of the US.
    You would read similar stories several times per year.

My mother's Kentucky family knew some people who believed/practiced this.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

His dad apparently died the same way.

Just scary. I hope folks like this never get charge of zoos ("And the lion shall lie down with the lamb...")

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just read a novel featuring a fundamentalist church that used snakehandling. A parishoner died, but they covered it up by dumping her in her yard to make it look like she'd been bitten while gardening.

*shudder*

People never cease to amaze me ...

5. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Is part of being Pentecostal not seeking medical help? When someone is bitten by a rattlesnake there is really no excuse for them to die unless they refused medical care. There is anti-venom, and surgery, and blood clotting factors, etc. A rattlesnake's venom just makes you not coagulate, right? Ten units of FFP could take care of that.

I hate to sound mean, but this is just another Darwin Award nomination.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Is that the mechanism of rattlesnake venom? Is it being harvested to make anti-coagulant medications? I really don't know but am interested.

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I believe that the venom of some varieties of rattlesnake also has a neurotoxin component.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, interesting. I am going to look this up when I have the chance.

10. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Damn! You beat me to it! :EVILLE:

11. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

"All rattlesnakes possess a set of fangs with which they inject large quantities of hemotoxic venom. The venom travels through the bloodstream, destroying tissue and causing swelling, internal bleeding, and intense pain. Some species, such as the Mojave Rattlesnake, additionally possess a neurotoxic component in their venom that causes paralysis and other nervous symptoms." I know cobras have a neurotoxic component, never heard a rattler does. Still, seeking medical attention will drastically reduce your likelihood of dying from a snake bite. To like ZERO. Hmmm.

12. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Hmmm indeed - not handling them AT ALL would help in that regard, too, I should think. :shuffle:

Without bothering to search online for the passages in the New Testament which refer to being able to pick up and handle serpents without harm, one assumes that this behavior is seen and believed by those who practice it to be evidence of utter faith in one's salvation.

I will say that such behavior will certainly raise the odds of leaving this mortal coil behind - where the believers of this type go from here is another question.

13. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Are there congregations where people jump out of planes to prove that faith is stronger than gravity?

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

^^^Good question. Are there? Seems the logic is the same.

15. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I don't think that's it. My understanding is this type of practice is taken from texts saying Christians have victory over Satan through Christ, and the serpent is seen as a symbol of evil. By handling the snakes, it illustrates Christian victory over evil and Satan.

That's my understanding anyway...

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

So in this case is their takeaway that evil won?

(Personally, I'd vote for stupidity.)

17. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, the practice has really waned in recent years. According to the article, most of the parishioners were family members. I think now it's more a cultural artifact not commonly practiced.

18. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

And a perfectly plausible one. I was trying to put into words my understanding of how those who do this might have such a strong belief that they would take the verse regarding handling serpents literally as basis for a faith-based action. Your understanding adds depth and context to acting on such a belief.

Our understandings are, I believe, not so far apart. :)

(Trust me, though - I'm not handling any serpents - no desire here to be a Darwin Award candidate - or, in Tennessee Williams' wonderfully evocative phrase from "The Glass Menagerie", a "Christian martyr").

19. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

Its at the end of the book of Mark:

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

The last 20 or so verses (including not only this passage but the part where it was Mary Magdelene was the first to recogize the resurrected Christ) are left out of some of the earlier manuscripts.

I tend to think this refers to one-off miracles, such as Paul getting bitten when he was shipwrecked, etc., etc.. But some old school Pentecostals use these verses as a litmus test for belief.

20. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I don't get it. The man died, so does that mean they think evil won? Or the guy's faith wasn't strong enough?

Are they testing themselves, God, or Satan? If the man dies, who wins? If he doesn't die, who wins?

21. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Correct. Most snake handlers cite Mark 16:17, which states that Christians "will take up serpents and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them."

As for this being an example of Darwinism, the guy already had kids, plus he was the son of a man who died the same way, so that isn't applicable.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

in this case, I dont mind sounding mean at all

a little natural selection here and there is good for the herd

23. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I'm reading the same book right now.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm rattled by this :slinkaway

25. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

The good pastor has gone on to meet hisssssssssss maker.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh, Thelma...:shuffle:

27. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:sheep: <----Anaconda

28. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Oh boa, I don't see why anyone would asp-ire to this form of religion.

29. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Me neither, I hate snakes! :scream: :scream: :scream:

30. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Fangs for the laughs.