Passport Renewal Questions....

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

.....do you have to pay for a renewal of a passport? Mine expires next January...

2. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the book and the card? Can they both get you across borders? I'm so cheap sometimes :lol:.
    I don't know when I'm gonna go abroad next, but it is a nice-to-have item, you know?

4. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

I could be wrong, but I think the card is more for traveling between US and Canada. I don't think the card could be used to get into Europe.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The card is just good for Canada/Mexico/Carribean and only for land/sea. If you are flying to another country you need the book. Unless you live near the border and cross a lot by car, or are a frequent cruiser, I wouldn't bother with the card. The regular passport book can be used everywhere.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

WOW those fees are a lot higher than I remember paying for my last passport :eek:

Mine expires in May 2011...I know that there are some international travel restrictions 6 months before the expiration date (which is :blah: ). Do I need to renew before I go to Canada next month, or is it just for flying?

7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

You'll need the passport to get back in the U.S. They changed the rule in June 2009 to include all forms of transportation.

8. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

The card is intended for commuters and people who have to cross the border on a regular basis.

If you are going through the trouble of renewing I would get the book, then you won't have to worry about what you need when you travel.

I renewed my passport at the post office, they took the picture and everything.

9. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Different countries have different entry requirements for how close your passport can be to its expiration date, so it depends on Canada's restrictions.

10. genevieve

How does one find that info out? I looked on that site and couldn't find anything. Hmmm

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

travel.state.gov main site has all the info US citizens and perm residents need including the specific documents required for re-entry.

12. genevieve

that's where I was looking and I couldn't find it.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Just click on International Travel, then select the country. You'll get a full page of info including the entry/exit requirements.

14. genevieve

ok thanks. I don't see anything about how many months prior to expiration the passport needs to be, only that it must be valid, but it looks like i'm in the window to get an expedited passport back in time.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I think I will get a new book. Now I just have to get some good passport pics where I don't look like Gary Coleman's older brother!

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The post office where I applied for my renewal took my mug shot to go along with it for $15 bucks.

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Now that almost everyone has a digital camera of some sort, you should take your own passport picture and then have it printed out at your local convenient store.

I will never have a passport picture taken from the like of WalMart or Target again. They looked like crap (well, it could be due to me, LOL) . For my current passport I took my own picture, and it came out 10x times better than what I paid for at Walmart/ Target.

18. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

What a great idea! Most passport pictures make the subject look like criminals.

An Iranian-born friend told me about travelling to France after losing 65 lbs. They looked at his passport picture and then at him and said "That's not you". Between the very bad passport picture and the weight loss, they concluded that this was his father's passport. He had enough ID to prove otherwise but still.

19. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Just don't hide your neck a la Esther.

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl: Now, James....

21. Skittl1321

Just make sure you follow all of the centering/white balance rules. I've seen people have their pictures rejected when they take them themselves. Then listening to them yell at the official really slows the line down.

22. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

I would suggest checking the Government of Canada website to check and see how much time you need left on your passport to come up here. The problem is not that the US won't let you back home with an almost-expired passport, it is that the country you are traveling to wants to make sure you are going to have valid travel documents to cover all your time here. (iirc)

23. genevieve

Thanks Skate Talker! The Gov't of Canada website was helpful. Looks like it won't be an issue - if I just get a state ID I don't even need a passport at all.

24. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I thought that there were some regulations that must be followed, which is why I went to a place where they routinely take passport pictures.

25. Skittl1321

I thought you needed one to get back into the US. (You used to not need one, but didn't it change in the last few years? That's why the passport card is available- a cheaper alternative to a real passport)

26. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

Just FYI, a lot of libraries do passports now. Ours does and we are more friendly than the post office :)

27. genevieve

I was surprised too, but the US website said I just needed a government-issued ID and my birth certificate. In anycase, I'll take my still-valid passport and a bunch of other stuff too and hopefully i'll get where I'm going.

28. 1lutz2klutz

1lutz2klutz New Member

And don't wear a white shirt for the picture. My mom just renewed her passport and had her picture taken at CVS. She had on a white shirt in front of a white background. With her pale skin and white hair, all you could see were two eyeballs looking out at you!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

I got mine renewed in 2008. I like the cool new features of the e-Passport, such as simply scanning the passport at the Toronto airport check-in machine. There was no need for an actual human to inspect it.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_2788.html

Since it is good for 10 years, I think of the cost based on how much per year. $15 a year isn't much to have proof I'm a citizen, imo.

30. Skittl1321

My first passport when I was a teenager was in a Hard Rock Cafe "Save the Planet" sweatshirt. When cropped it read "Save the Plane"

Most scanners laughed like crazy when they saw it- but in todays climate I'm very glad to have a new picture.