Passing FS Test Before Registration Deadline for Competition

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, Aug 12, 2013.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit New Member

I have looked all through the rule book and couldn't find this anywhere. Is there any rule saying you have to pass your FS test before the competition registration deadline? Or do you just have to pass it before the competition date?

I understand you can compete up a level, but we have a situation where a student is two tests behind but wants to compete up and is ready to test. However the next test sessions are a few days after the deadline. And this event NEVER has extended deadline.

Thanks!

2. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

This is a club (i.e. non-qualifying) comp, I assume? For non-qualifying comps, the host club sets the rules for eligibility and skating up, so you should refer to the announcement. If this event is like every club comp I'm familiar with, then eligibility is determined by test level as of the entry deadline. The host club may allow a skater to skate up two levels; that decision is up to the referee. I recommend contacting the organizers and ask them to check with the referee.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If the student is two tests behind but wants to compete up, is there a problem with him/her competing only one level up? If it is a non-qualifying competition, it may be simpler just to compete one level up and follow the requirements and restrictions for that level.

4. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

It is a rule determined by the hosting club/association. Trust me, there are good reasons for it being AT CLOSE OF ENTRIES. Once you start allowing "test pending", then you create difficulties - you can't do the draw til after the tests. You have to rearrange skating orders and flights and divisions - and it's not just the higher division affected, but the lower one. Heck, you can't even do the trophies/medals/certificates. Everything is pushed back. Which is very fine and dandy for competitions run by huge volunteer staff. Not so much when volunteers are thin on the ground.

Honestly, if he hasn't tested yet, that's his problem, not the competition's. In this case you are talking about affecting potentially THREE different divisions - because what if he doesn't pass the first test?

5. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit New Member

It is a kid who is Prelim FS tested. Been skating Pre Juv all year and wanted to move up to JUV. Chances of the kid failing the Pre Juv test are so slim at this point! Ive spoken to the parent and told her to reach out the club chair/referee. Thank you for your advice!

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

No matter how "slim" the chances of failure seem to be, skaters can fail tests even if they are very well-prepared. If the kid has been skating pre-juv all year, IMHO s/he should skate pre-juv in this competition and then test and skate up at a later date - without the pressure of having to pass the test to skate higher in a few weeks. One more competition at pre-juv is not going to permanently derail his/her skating career.

7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Just because you believe your child is superior, it doesn't mean they're infallible. There is always a chance they could fail. Overedge is correct. One more competition skating at pre-juv is not going to kill your child.

Besides which, if this kid has been skating pre-juv all year...why haven't they taken the test before now? Why choose this test?

8. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

That rule is in the book for qualifying events. As others have mentioned, club non-qualifying events are different. You need to read the rules specified on the announcement. Those would have been submitted by the organizers to the chief referee and finally to the USFS Sanction Chair for approval.

Most announcements I've seen stipulate skating one level up. The timing is unfortunate and unless the skater can find an earlier test session, it is what it is. There has to be a deadline for fairness to everyone and the LOC needs time to verify information with USFS.

It may seem like a small request, but having run my own event recently, there are a lot of things going on in the background.

9. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

At all the open/club events over here a skater is placed according to their test level on the closing date. The announcement document shows exactly what tests are valid/max per level. Doesn't matter whether a level 3 skater passes a level 4 test after the closing date, they must still compete at level 3.

10. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes. Although, I've seen a skater's eligibility challenged on that one. The mother of Skater B complained that Skater A had passed a higher level test than the level she was competing at. However, the test had been passed after the closing date, so it was still legal. (If I had been Skater A's coach, I would have had her skate up a level for that competition if she were that close to testing, but that's just me. No rules were broken.)

On the other hand, if we're talking a qualifying competition, testing up after the closing date will disqualify you.