partial problems with figure skating and public

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by query5, Jan 29, 2013.

1. query5

query5 New Member

don't know how to put this but
    in reality
    1) how many fans of figure skating and blogs, post are not associated with the sport in any way like other sports-you have tennis fans, without being associated with tennis, football, baseball, hockey, basketball.

but in figure skating all i see is the fans base consisted of
    1) figure skaters themselves
    2) the parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/brothers/sisters of figure skaters
    3) coaches/choreographers & their families
    so where is the public outside of me that i know of on post--most are above mentioned 1-3.
    how can figure skating get public fans when the figure skating fans deride the public fan base by stating they dont know jumps when see them, etc, riduicle them.
    how is the sport going to grow if the only fan base you only cater to the figure skaters & family & coaches etc.

yet when figure skating wants to sell the sport through endorsements, sponsors, tours -you have to appeal to them yet the public fan gets what in return--nothing--from the sport, you pick you want to win ignoring public outcry etc. like michelle -you picked tara cuz you wanted a young person(sonia henie) to win-overlook ashley downgrades you pick her to win.
    you blame michelle for everything wrong with sport(seems to be anyway).
    how can public get into sport when fans, federation, ignores them, judges,
    what do we get in return except for exasperation, rudeness,being call (dumb) ignorant at best.

this has been going on for years. i understand figure skating fan base, but what about the public which has to pay for the tour, shows, competitions when come to town.
    why expect us to stay when you ignore us through rigging , cheating etc.
    why should we pay attention and come back. why should we go to shows, tours, watch. when all we get in return is frustration, bad feelings about who won, watch etc.

why should we help a sport that ignores the public yet wants us to pay for it. what is our return investment in the sport

2. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I'm so sorry you feel so bitter and I do understand where you may be coming from in some of your comments. I have no real knowledge of the sport other than as a spectator. But I enjoy visiting with the posters on this site and I enjoy the posts of the knowledgeable people. I get tremendous returns from watching. The skaters are magnificent and for them to put so much time and effort into their trade not to mention the money they, their parents and sponsors put into it, it seems somewhat unworthy to have this type of post IMHO.