Parenting Via Facebook

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FigureSpins, Feb 10, 2012.

1. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Why would anyone spank a 6 month old baby? :eek: Even 12 months is too early IMHO... Do they even understand right from wrong at that age?

2. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

With a 12-month-old, I can understand a quick spank or other physical intervention to stop the kid from doing something s/he shouldn't be doing -- not for punishment, but for prevention and/or to set up a negative association with the unwanted activity.

A 6-month-old is probably not very mobile and therefore not very likely to get into trouble, so I can't imagine what the point would be. The only "bad" behavior (from the parent's point of view) they're likely to engage in is crying, and hitting them is not likely to get them to stop.

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

There is a subculture that believes it teaches unquestioned obedience and advocates spanking as early as 4-5 mths.

http://whynottrainachild.com/2010/04/20/quotes-from-ttuac/

5. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

There's a school of thought that says all children are born manipulators and it's the job of parents to nip that in the bud as soon as possible or your children will be spoiled and rule your household.

It doesn't work. They don't "get" that you hit them to stop them from doing something dangerous. They just think you are being mean. For no good reason.

They just don't have the cognitive processes to understand punishment at that age.

7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I am getting so mad just thinking about someone spanking a 6 months old or 12 months old. I just don't get - how can they know anything other than that they can't trust their parents?
    Spanking at any age is wrong, IMO. Luckily me and my husband are in complete agreement.

I also find the father in that video annoying. What are you teaching your daugther other than if you get really mad, you become violent? Sigh

8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

9. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

As a young adult I can tell you that to really get to teenagers you have to get into our world. Our world is online. This father did to her exactly what he needed to do in order to tell her that what she did was wrong. He went on youtube, most likely one of her most viewed websites, and told the people that what she had said about him was incorrect and way out of line, which is all true, and finally made his point by showing her that no matter what he spent on that laptop he was not willing to let her use it if all she is going to do with it is slander him. I am sure that she is furious with him, possibly even ridiculously embarrassed, but i am almost certain that before she thinks about doing what she did again she will think about what happened the last time. I know I am not a parent and I have never had my laptop shot by my father but this is how i feel about the situation at hand.

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Eh, I'm online as much as my kids and they weren't impressed with the dad nor would shooting their laptop help any behavioral situation at home. I think there are other ways to get your message across.

Though I do like that tv commercial where the mom is upset that her son's YouTube videos don't get many likes. :lol:

11. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I'm online as much as my kids, too, if not more so. I would expect most parents who post here regularly could say the same.

My son thought it was hypocritical and childish of the dad to get so angry at his daughter for posting about her parents online and retaliate by doing the same. He also thought the daughter was stupid for posting her initial rant on Facebook and said that if you want to rant online, you do it in a chat room. My daughter agreed and said Facebook is too public and permanent for venting.

So if the daughter thinks "I'd better not post this on Facebook," that might not mean that she's not going to post it on the internet at all. It depends on what she thinks when she thinks twice.

They thought it was funny that he shot the laptop, but ultimately stupid and wasteful and an adult version of a temper tantrum. Clearly they are my children :lol:. But if I did something like this, I don't think I would be earning the respect this guy clearly thinks is so important.