Pang & Tong overrated these days?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Dec 22, 2010.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Personally I find this team has become the most overscored pair out there in the last year and a half. It is ironic since I used to feel sorry for them as I felt they were getting shunned by their federation and own coaches with all the support going to the Zhangs and were getting undermarked while the Zhangs with all that support were getting inflated scores. Now it seems almost the reverse. Of course we havent seen the Zhangs yet this season, but Pang & Tong have been skating dreadful this whole season other than their lovely GP final SP performance, and still getting huge scores especialy PCS for not particularly great programs, skating skills, lines, or style.

It would be nice to see them off the podium at Worlds this year if they continue to skate this way, but I know it probably isnt going to happen. It would even nicer to see them start skating better again but we will see.

Their technical elements even when done well arent the best. The Germans, the Zhangs, the Russians, all have more spectacular elements. The more I think about it the Zhangs at their best are actually really a better team since their technical elements are much better than Pang & Tong, and artistically neither are that good anyway.

Hopefully Sui & Han can keep improving and take over as #1 Chinese pair next season with thier being age eligible for Worlds or in an even more unlikely turn of events the Zhangs can come back better than ever and surpass Pang & Tong once again. The more likely scenario is Pang & Tong remaining Chinese #1 pair until atleast 2013 though and maybe until after the 2014 Olympics depending on how quickly Sui & Han improve.

2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Are you saying they did not deserve their Olympic medal? That was only last season. I didn't think they were overmarked at all in Vancouver or Worlds. Or are you just talking about this season?

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

They deserved their Olympic silver IMO. They were the only top pair to do 2 clean programs and were rewarded. They did not deserve to win the LP at Worlds last season at all, even if they maybe deserved to win overall. And their PCS in general were starting to escalated beyond what they deserve last season. This season obviously not skating as well as last season they have been really overscored though. It is not like their skating has such wonderful qualities to compensate for the mistakes.

4. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:lol:

5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Without question Pang/Tong have been way overscored in PCS this GP season. They are being scored on reputation instead of what they are putting out there on the ice, which has seriously been lacking in quality so far this season. Her lackluster positions in the lifts and faulty SBS jumps as well as their shaky spins and just the entire blah, same old boring quality to their style should be resulting in much lower scores I believe. But, what can you say, it's figure skating, and reputation scoring has been around as long as the sport has. :shuffle:

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't think they were overscored this season (or last) I just think they haven't had any competition this season except the Germans.

They won the Olympic long program and would have won the gold if they weren't 4th in the short.

Who should have beat them this year...B/L or I/M? I don't think so.

The Zhangs were 5th at worlds and the Olympics, so I don't think they are out of it yet either.

I'm holding my judgement on S/H for a couple of more years becuase I think she will grow to tall for him and they won't be an issue in the future.

7. pumba

pumba New Member

I thought they were overrated back in 2003-2004 season when they won Sk.Am and Worlds bronze over PetTikhs. But that was ok, since China was promoting their younger couples, and the next season when they started pushing up the Zhangs - I was realy surprised with P/T's marks, specifically at Worlds 2005, where they should have gotten the bronze over the Zhangs.
    During the 2004-2008 I kind of felt the placements of P/T and Z/Z should be switched. Not that P/T were that outstanding, but the Zhangs were even worse.
    As for being overscored - well they are overscored. BUT after all, even with those mediocre lines, posture, spins, etc.. they should have been 2nd in Torino and 1st in Vancouver (scary but true), so probably judges are just paying them debts.

BTW I realy liked P/T's SP this season, and a bit upset that they changed it.

8. Libertango

Libertango New Member

ITA! And I've started to watch him during their programs instead of her, it makes them more enjoyable...

9. Artifice

Artifice Guest

They may get some bonus points because of their reputation but other than that I believe that PCS, especially skating skills can be judged only when seeing skaters skate live. If one judges PCS after watching skaters only on TV, well, the judgement can not be relevant, especially for SS.

I have seen Pang & Tong live long time ago, and they were quite good. I haven't seen them live since, so I can't say for today.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I think they were underscored in the Olympic SP, but so glad they ultimately won the silver medal.

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

ITA.

12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I find the Zhangs skating to be dreadful.

13. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Hmmm... I do think their scores this season are a bit higher than what is put onto the ice...on the other hand...there aren't really any other teams other than the Germans really deserve higher that I've seen so far.

I don't think they are being RIDICULOUSLY overscored, their skating is a notch above most of their competitors, and I think by Worlds, if they continue skating the way they are, the results will probably start changing.

14. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't really think the Germans have deserved 130+ pts for their LPs either, but they have been so far superior to everyone else that the scores/placements make sense. It's not uncommon for the clear winners' scores to be inflated a bit. We've seen Shen/Zhao, Yu-Na, etc, get huge scores when they are the clear winners, even if the actual performance may not have been as wonderful as the score indicates. I think we've seen something similar with S/S and P/T on the GP this year.

P/T at least skate with some maturity, whereas the Zhangs seem to sleep walk through their programs, and Sui/Han don't even look like they're skating the same program half the time. :lol:

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They were ridiculously overmarked in Vancouver. None of their PCS skills came anywhere close to S/S'. Yet they got marked as if they did.

This season they've got the lowest TES and one of the highest PCS at two events now.

I have to admit their FS is well choreographed this season, but still, the gap between them and the teams being placed below them on the PCS is way too large.

16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

In your opinion. ;)

17. yaoyao

yaoyao New Member

Although Pang/Tong are overrated these days, if they continue skating the way they are, they will lose reputation scores sooner or later.Meanwhile, hope S/S,V/T,K/S all can do their best at the Worlds so that Pang/Tong will have little chance.

18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

They've been overrated for years.

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

20. luCN

luCN New Member

after watch COC and GPF,I think when we talk about the overrated thing we should watch them in person at least once.

Now I can understand why Daisuka and Chan got higher PCS,they deserved it.Their ss tr ch in....are all in another level,especially compare to some famous skater like Joubert etc. So do SS and PT.if they are over ten points higher than others,I won't be surprise.the other four is really far below them.

21. nro

nro New Member

Chan and Takahashi deserve it but I've never seen Pang-Tong getting praised for basic skating skills far above the rest of the field, and furthermore Pang does have weak positions in general, so to get such a huge boost from PCS seems unjustified to me.