PANDORA’s Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice-Show:11/09-Airs 12/01 @NBC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by dardar1126, May 20, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Not this time! ;)

ETA:
    Date and Location: Saturday, November 9, 2013 at 7:00pm at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida.
    "Tickets go on sale this summer, the date and time will be announced soon."

Skaters (confirmed so far): Brian Boitano, Sasha Cohen, Kimmie Meissner, Ryan Bradley, Elena Leonova & Andrei Khvalko, Sinead & John Kerr
    Musical artist: Mannheim Steamroller
    Hosts: Kristi Yamaguchi and Michael Weiss

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  3. dardar1126

Whoa...I don't believe it! :lol:

4. dardar1126

Twitter:

5. Sylvia

http://www.dissonskating.com/our-shows/pandora-unforgettable-holiday-moments-on-ice/

Reminder - NBC Airdate
    Sunday, December 1, 2013
    4:00 – 6:00 PM EST

(Check your local listings)

Willoway's first-hand impressions from the show are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-many-others&p=4047816&viewfull=1#post4047816
    Re-posting:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Brian was on the Today Show on Friday to promote the show. Looked good.

7. Sylvia

Reminder: This is scheduled to start at 4 pm Eastern today.
    http://www.dissonskating.com/2013/11/tune-in-alert-holiday-2013/#more-3292

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Ryan Bradley is the cat's meow, too cool for school, what a hambone. And younger than Todd, Michael and Brian.

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I couldn't sit through it. No attention was paid to the choreography and it was all dull background music. I'm as disappointed as anyone that skating isn't on tv much anymore, but when this is the product they come up with (and with that many talented skaters!), it's no surprise. I think Sandra Bezic said recently that it's important when producing shows to respect the audience and to appreciate that they aren't stupid. It's clear when watching this that no work was put into making a cohesive (beyond the Christmas theme), interesting show with good music and thoughtful program composition; I think anyone watching would notice that, not just people who follow skating. :(

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

at least there were no children

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  11. dardar1126

I did find the Mannheim music repetitive and sleep-inducing. :yawn: Overall the skating was of good quality; Ilia looked good enough to be competitive today! :judge: And Brian still skates quite well (esp. for his age)! Kimmie skated stronger than I've seen her do in awhile.

12. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Well said. I think it is an issue about respecting your market's intelligence. I still watch, because I love the skaters... but just have a show with a Christmas theme and let them show up with their own programs to their own music. I have never got this whole put a singer on the stage and make everyone skate to their music business. The whole thing always strikes me as kitschy.

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yeah, this is what I've come to expect when watching these types of shows . . . dull, boring, ordinary, vanilla, a complete waste of time. :yawn: I didn't even bother tuning in today. Sounds like I didn't miss anything once again. :shuffle:

14. Allisanna

Allisanna Member

My mom and I loved it. I guess we were their target market. :)

15. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Agree 100%. Attending the American Legends show next week (because the cast was just so impressive and such a broad range) but after this I'm really scared.

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: I watched. At least it was skating on tv. Yep it seems beggars can't be choosers. It was fun to see Alissa and Kimmie, and I also enjoyed watching the talented and eye-catching Ilia K and Ryan B. Great to see Brian has lost none of his joy and on-ice presence. And it was wonderful to see Todd E too! I didn't recognize Alena Leonova at first with her blonde hair. At one point the over-the-air announcer made a mistake saying Ryan is the reigning U.S. National champion. I began to wonder if it was a repeat of a 2-year-old program, but of course everyone looked older than they were in 2011. Truthfully, there's room for this type of show and concept, but fs needs so much more. There's room for a lot more variety. When will there be another Fashion on Ice and different kinds of programming? The exciting Young Artists Showcase should be televised, at least the finals with excerpts of some of the best Challenge programs.

One other thing I did enjoy in the Pandora show today tho' was the aerial acrobatic feats. It reminded me of Nicole Bobek's lovely aerial debut -- they should have invited her. Ryan did a great job to some boring music. :p The sport truly needs to better utilize its eligible retired athletes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  17. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

I loved Brian's program where he carved a straight line in the ice to mark his axis before starting his figures. It was a lovely tribute to figures.

One thing I did not like -- and this is a holdover from the Family show last week -- and it has nothing to do with skating -- is Michael Weiss' using these shows as a platform to promote his daughter's screetching career. The girl has no talent for singing, and I wish that a brave producer somewhere will give the family the sad news.

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I only watched for a minute, when the aerialists were on. Holy moly, that was amazing! Though just watching them brought on my fear of heights, full blast. :scream: :lol:

19. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

As a fan of Todd Eldredge I was happy to stay up till 3 a.m. to watch :) That was a bit boring, yes, but at least there were no children, it was actual skating and the music was easy on the ears. So no major complaints here :)

20. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

:lol: This.:lol:

I always feel slightly sad when I see Kimmie.

21. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I rather see the skater's kids than this dull X-mas program. At least it was entertaining seeing the skaters skate with their kids. I can't stand X-mas music. So cheesy.

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

OK, I guess I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the show because I loved the skating cast, and I happen to like Mannheim Steamroller's instrumental music. I didn't feel that Martina McBride's singing was intrusive (so far this season, @ least we're seeing more of the skating than the singer(s). Brian's tribute to figures was a special moment for me, and I loved Ryan's little gesture towards the end of his first program (a little reference to his Mozart/classical program?). Always happy to see Todd (and go nuts when he does his Russian Split Jumps, not to mention his spins). I could watch Ilia all day. I miss Kimmie, and was very glad to see her (and looking so happy). Too bad that Alissa is unable to compete @ Nationals, etc. but glad to see her on the ice here. Enjoyed the pairs as well.

We did attend the family show (and loved that too - cool to see Gabby, Liza, Kurt & Sonia's kids skate, the Wylie family, etc.). Next week we are going to the US Legends show in Northern NJ, and can't wait.

23. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Variety is fine. Seriously folks, Steve Disson is the only one out there producing anything involving figure skating for TV these days. I'm not a huge fan of any of the concepts, but will hope for the best for the shows and broadcasts in the name of supporting the sport

24. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm maybe eggnog will get you in the Christmas spirit which is one of the goals of those shows :) JK but i don't mind the dullness.

25. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I enjoyed some of the show. It was nice to see Alissa. She has gained some weight. It looks good on her.

26. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Disson shows are the only thing out there; there is no variety when it comes to made-for-tv skating shows in the U.S. The problem is they are producing shows that aren't exciting and aren't good advertisements for the sport. This kind of skating isn't going to bring in new audiences. People like you (and me) might watch because we want to be supportive, but that's not enough.

27. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I watched bits and peices of the special, but I am a bit puzzled by what some people were apparently expecting, given most of this cast have not been competitive level skaters for quite a while. It's not like even our most elite, competitive skaters all show up with gala routines that are mesmerizing (granted a few do). That's why I normally skip watching galas and "skating spectaculars" and TV programs like this. I can't say I really thought the programs displayed though were "insulting" to the audience in some way, especially given that some of these skaters are not exactly spring chickens. :lol:

28. oliver

oliver Member

I was expecting more from Ryan Bradley. He did less than Ilia, and his first program looked like he was making it up as he went along. It was also slow with many "stops". I would have said to catch his breath but he didn't exert himself enough for that to be necessary.

29. dcnative

dcnative New Member

My programming was interrupted by a press conference for the train derailment in NYC; so I didn't see the entire show, but I was also dissapointed in Ryan Bradley's first performance. I had the exact same impression, that he was trying to making it up as he went along. Ilia's speed and jump content was amazing.

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^
    It looked like Ryan was having fun and being laid back to suit the musical style. ITA paskatefan (re that bit Ryan did with his hands when the Bach-type music came up, referencing his 2011 lp :)) I got the feeling Ryan wanted to break out any moment with his razzmatazz style, but he had to hold it in to fit the music. He did a great job, but it's obvious his talent is largely being wasted without the opportunity to do more with competitive professional shows and more challenging figure skating endeavors. Doing this show of course is fun and refreshing for the holiday season for all those who get invited. I think Ryan is a very good commentator and I enjoy what he does in that respect as well.

The aerial performance was definitely fun and exciting. I think what Nicole Bobek did in her aerial debut (posted in a thread here earlier this year) was even more entertaining because it involved more skating on the ice. Kinda of frightening and dangerous when the female aerialist held the rope around her neck to make those fast twirls in the air, but thrilling to watch too, of course.

The show was pleasant enough and Christmassy, and I appreciate what Mannheim Steamroller do with Christmas standards, but it was a bit one-note throughout. Clearly though it's targeted for family audiences for the holidays, not hardcore skating fans.

I enjoyed very much seeing the promotional clips for Pandora bracelets with the skaters and their family members. I also love seeing the children of skaters. I think Kristi's Family Skating shows are a lot of fun to watch.

Sure Michael Weiss' daughter doesn't have the best singing voice, but she obviously has huge enthusiasm. She does need to take more voice lessons though if she's serious about her singing.

Do you mean because Kimmie's competitive skating career was shortened by injury? Kimmie seems to be feeling happy and living a full life. I'm glad when I see Kimmie still having the opportunity to express herself on the ice. It was such a lovely feature they showed with the clips of Kimmie and her Mom and Kimmie talking about how much her Mom has supported her and meant to her throughout her life. :)