Pairs Skating Lessons

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, Jan 31, 2014.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

I was recently told it was common for the female partner to pay for all pair lessons and the male partner was responsible for their own private lessons only. Does anyone know if this is typical?

2. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

My guess is this probably happens a lot but by no means is standard. As we all know, girls outnumber boys (esp those wanting to do pairs or dance) in skating and so conditions are ripe for a boy and his family to use that to their advantage. But I believe in the majority of situations, both families are sharing the costs equally. I suspect the girl's family ends up absorbing a bit more cost for comps - i.e. dresses, hair, makeup. From what I've seen, when a partnership is formed, the coaches will sit down with the skaters and their families and will map out a plan that includes training, comps, goals, and also expenses, so that everyone is on the same page. If your coach is convinced you should pay for everything and that's not what you want to do, find another coach.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It's a partnership, just like a business. The partners (or their representatives) negotiate a deal that works for them. As DebbieS says, by no means is it standard for the female partner to cover most of the costs. If a coach is trying to push that on a family who doesn't want to or can't afford to do that, the family should find another coach.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Who told you that?

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you need any more info.