Pairs & Ice dancers that won senior world/Oly medals with different partners

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It's rare to see a pairs skater or ice dancer win senior world or Olympic medals with different partners.

The most famous examples are:

Pairs:

Irina Rodnina - Ulanov and Zaitsev
    Ulanov- Rodnina and his second partner (I can't remember her name)
    Artur Dmitriev- Mishkutionok and Kazakova

Ice dance:

Anjelika Krylova - Fedorov and Ovssianikov

Any other examples?

2. lulu

lulu New Member

Krylova & Fedorov placed 3rd at World Championships, although that still is an impressive accomplishment. :)

Courtney Jones back in the early 60s won World Championships in ice dance with two different partners (two titles with each partner) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Jones

3. Vash01

I am only looking at world/Olympic medals, not necessarily wins.

Thanks for the info on C. Jones. I had never heard of her.

4. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Todd Sand won bronze with Natasha Kuchiki in 1991 before going on to win multiple medals with Jenni Meno.

Similarly, Lloyd Eisler won bronze with Kathy Matousek in 1985, then won several medals with Isabelle Brasseur from 1990-1994.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Irina Vorobieva won world pairs gold in 1981 with Igor Lisovsky.

She also placed 3rd in 1976 and 2nd in 1977 at the world level with Aleksandr Vlasov.

Vlasov is also the father and coach of Julia Vlassov, who competed with Drew Meekins to win the 2006 World Junior Championships for the USA.

It may not qualify, but Elena Bechke won European bronze with Valery Kornienko before teaming with Denis Petrov to win world bronze in 1989 and Olympic silver in 1992.

6. wustfan

wustfan Member

Marika Kilius won Silver and Bronze with Franz Ningel in Pairs back in the 50s. She went on to win Gold with Hans-Jürgen Bäumler. I think Ningel won another medal with his next partner.

7. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Courtney Jones is a man.

8. lulu

lulu New Member

Ah, my bad, I misread the thread's title.

About Courtney Jones, according to Wiki, he created the Starlight Waltz CD and the Silver Samba CD. His partner, Doreen Denny ended up coaching the American Ice dance team of Colleen O'Connor and Jim Millns.

9. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

You are right.
    With Kilius, Ningel won Pairs bronze at 1956 Worlds and silver in 57.

In 1962, he won Pairs bronze with Margaret Gobl (the o has an umlaut but my keyboard doesn't).

The ISU has disappointingly little information about championships before 1998, but they have at least posted lists of medalists from "major" championships here:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130366-131674-nav-list,00.html

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

William McLachlan of Canada won 5 World medals in ice dance with 2 different partners. Silvers in 57, 58, and a bronze in 59 with Geraldine Fenton, and a bronze in 60 and silver in 62 with Virginia Thompson. Probably would have had 6 straight World medals without the tragic U.S team plane crash and subsequent cancellation of the 61 Worlds.

He went on to be a prominent judge for Canada for the next 4 decades, although had a moment of shame at the 97 Worlds when he placed Bourne & Kraatz 1st in every single one of the 4 dances (and was their only 1st place ordinal in any dance, and even in the 2nd compulsory and original dance where they had no other ordinal higher than 3rd, and several as low as 5th). Remember this was an event that included both Gritschuk & Platov and Krylova & Ovsianikov at their peak, and an up and coming Anissina & Peizerat.

11. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Ulanov's second partner was Ludmila Smirnova.

12. judgejudy27

I remember seeing a performance of theirs once online and it was lovely. I also prefer the clips of Ulanov-Rodnina I have seen to Zaitsev- Rodnina. I think he was a more elegant and stylish skater than Alexander Zaitsev although Zaitsev was a technical machine who skated with bloodthirsty attack and speed and agression just like Rodnina.

13. Vash01

Right! I just could not remember her name. I think they won world silver behind R&Z.

14. lulu

lulu New Member

15. Vash01

Thanks for the link. Smirnova won a world silver with her first partner Andrei Suraikin, so she too won a world medal with two different partners.

16. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Smirnov won Olympic silver with Suraikan behind R&Ulanov at Olympics too. I think they lost on a split decision too so she almost became Olympic Champion, then won World silvers with the old partner of Rodnina and her new husband.

17. Vash01

Their height difference is not as drastic as R&Z's. Ulanov looks very good. Had he not split with Irina, they would have definitely won the next Olympics (76) and possibly the 1980 Olys too.

18. lulu

lulu New Member

I wish there were more Rodnina & Ulanov programs on youtube. There are a pretty fair amount of R&Z, but in comparison, very few of R&U. The ones I found were mostly highlights and not even full skates.

19. judgejudy27

Rodnina & Ulanov are more enjoyable to watch than Rodnina & Zaitsev. Rodnina & Zaitsev are oustanding, and deserved all their titles, however they werent that nice to watch. They were like machines, they went out to destroy and win, but there was not much softness, elegance, personality, or even chemistry between them and towards the music when they skated.

20. Vash01

21. lulu

lulu New Member

Were Rodnina & Ulanov ever an off ice couple? I know Smirnova & Ulanov fell in love and that led to the split with their previous partners and the formation of their own partnership.

22. Vash01

In the video I had watched (this was over 15- may be 20- years ago) they showed Irina crying after their 1972 worlds LP because she knew it was their last partnership together. That was followed by "she picked up the pieces..." This sounds like the breakup of just an on-ice partnership. Quite possibly she was in love with him at one time but he fell in love with Smirnova. I am guessing of course. I don't know if R&U were actually an off ice couple but there may have been some emotional involvement. In the past many Russian/USSR pairs seemed to get married and later divorce.

23. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I am quite sure they were, not 100% though. Ridnina was my great idol at that time, and I remember the Finnish tv commentator making very clear that they broke both on ice and off ice relationship with Ulanov. I was a kid that time, so I might have misinterpreted it, but I really felt for her... And then she came back shining and won again, with a new partner.:kickass:

24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I always thought that Ulanov became involved with the Russian #2 pair skater (Smirnova) and this broke Rodnina's heart. The condition with which she was exhaustedly being practically propped up as they left the ice following their gold medal free skate at 1972 worlds was then described by the commentators in the US to be partly (largely) a product of a broken heart.

Well Rodnina sure came back with a vengeance. If I recall correctly, she had a literal casting call for a partner replacement, and seemed to go out of her way to chose Zaitsev - then one of the taller, trimmer men in the world of pairs. Gold. Husband. Baby. More Gold. Done. Divorced.