Painter Thomas Kinkade arrested for DUI

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Article - with mug shot

Never was a fan of his work. I visited one of his stores once and I got the feeling that it was being exploititive with the Christian appeal of his work. Didn't he get into trouble a while back for some accused fraud going on with his stores.

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

he's talented with light, but his paintings are all too much alike and uninspiring to me.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

He's been in a lot of trouble lately. The guy's a mess.

I wonder (as a fellow Christian) if there's a deeper message here . . . about the need to live an authentic life and create art that reflects that, rather than trying to make it all pretty and shiny. Not that I mind cottage paintings as such, but his stuff was kind of beyond the pale.

Or maybe that's just me bloviating out loud. At any rate, I hope this will be a needed wake-up call.

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm a follower of James Gurney (Dinotopia artist) and I think I remember reading on his blog that when he was in college, he took a cross-country art trip with several other art students, including Thomas Kinkade. The man could apparently sell anything. As you can see by his work. :saint:

And please, Kinkade is not THAT talented with light. All of his stuff looks the same. I want to :lynch: him and take back the "Painter of Light" moniker for Claude Monet.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

DUIs are passe. It was more interesting when he urinated on Winnie the Pooh and said "This one's for you, Walt," while drunk at Disneyland. A guy like that would be a cool friend, but a guy who drives drunk wouldn't.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

OK -- how many of you are wondering whether a future picture out of his workshop will include a romantically lit village jail? Complete with glowing breathalyzer?

skaternum and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Having commercial success, and being a Artist are often two different things, IMO.

The public is gullible, unfortunately.
    People like Kinkade can be deluded into believing that they have a "gift" for something other than making money from "collectors" of their work.
    Many purchasers buy, believing that these pantings will "appreciate" in value.

Marketing, and Shopping Channels make the "delusion" easier for both.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I also heard a couple of days ago that he was going (or had?) to declare bankruptcy; he'd been sued by a bunch of business partners that claimed he'd been bilking them out of money that was rightfully theirs.

Ah, found stories about this:
    LA Times article
    Wall Street Journal

10. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

And unfortunately, Christians (Evanglicals in particular) can be the most gullible and naive of them all. It is one of my biggest frustrations as a Christians and what I see in other Christians.

Not to get off topic too much, but one example is Stephen Baldwin. Recently a campaign started called "Restore Stephen Baldwin" where they were asking for donations for Stephen Baldwin becuase he was now bankrupt because "he couldn't get any work due to his Christian beliefs".

Restore Stephen Baldwin, as reported by The Young Turks

I have not visited RestoreStephenBaldwin.org, but them comparing him to Job is comical.

WWJD? I am not 100% sure of course, but Jesus might think the reason that Stephen Baldwin is broke and can't get any work could be because he has done crap acting and blew all his money. There are many verses in Proverbs I could point to show this.

11. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I'd take this guys art any day over a Rothko, Duchamp or Pollock. Sorry to hear of Kinkade's troubles.

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Every part of my art history major being just cringed at that statement.

My favorite art history professor did a series of lectures essentially decrying the merit of Kincaid's work (in a scholarly way). I attended a couple of the lectures and there were always three or four people that would just go in to hysterics about her assessment of Kincaid's work. Of course, every time these people rebutted the ideas in her lecture, they always went the religious route. In fact, one woman said that she must be an atheist if she couldn't see the beauty in Kincaid's work, whatever that means. The whole situation was comical because I'm sure these people just saw the name Thomas Kincaid on the notice for the lecture and didn't realize what the talk was really about.

13. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Okay, I admit to skimming the post, but I first thought you said that people were comparing Stephen Baldwin to Steve Jobs. I had a hard time figuring that one out :rofl:

14. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Funny, I took art history at University as well and was taught to cringe at artists such as Pollock etc. Kinkade's work seems to embrace and seek a higher purpose, to me that fine art.

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I've learned it depends on where you take your art courses at. You can smell the bias going either way.

Pollock is certainly historically important, but I wouldn't hang his art on my living room wall. Duchamp and Rothko could work though.

Heck, I think Dave McKean is one of the awesomest comic book artists ever, but no way would I put his stuff on my wall. :rofl:

I don't consider Kinkade's work "fine art," though. I suspect he's trained as an illustrator, because you can see it in his work. (James Gurney is an illustrator, I wouldn't consider his work "fine art.") Kinkade is certainly evocative of certain themes, but to me, I don't think he uses any sort of artistic technique or history to further art movement or to speak deeply about the human experience.

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It might embrace and seek a higher purpose, but I'm not sure that it ever actually gets there.

17. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I think he does. To me it's the ideal family life, a welcoming home, a place of hard working individuals. It's what everyone should strive for.

18. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Would you want Duchamps urinal in your home? lol

I think too many get caught up with technique/aesthetics having to be constantly evolving. There's more to art that that. You can come up with new techniques and images all day long but what's the point if there's no meaning to it? It's just trivial then. Art should inspire individuals to a higher sense of being.

19. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

What exactly is the family ideal depicted? Granted I'm only superficially familiar with Kinkade, but the overall impression I get from his work is pastoral and serene--not anything connoting hard working individuals.

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

No. But there's a happy medium between Duchamp and Kinkade. One doesn't have to be a fan of modern art to be a lover of great art in general.

I went through a bit of a Kinkade phase years ago. I think I still have a cross-stitch kit somewhere. :) But I feel like I outgrew him. I get what he's going for, I think -- and I'm not averse to nostalgia and sentiment. I'm a Charles Dickens fan, for crying out loud. :D

But nowadays I don't find any real depth to his work . . . although I think there could be if he wanted. I saw a portrait of Christ on the cross that he did once -- a pen-and-ink sketch, I believe it was -- that was not in the least what you would expect. Very simple and stark. And I've heard that he's done other work like that, which is much better technically than his mainstream work. But unfortunately, I think he decided to go for the easy buck.

21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

here's one:
    http://www.artofthesouth.com/images/emeraldvalley.jpg

He's really not my favorite artist but I can see a lot of positive things in his work.

22. agalisgv

Everyone looks kinda sad in that painting :shuffle:
    Ultimately art is a subjective thing, so I don't really understand saying someone isn't an artist simply because someone doesn't like their work.

But that's more of a philosophical discussion on the nature of art and aesthetics...

23. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

It's not that they aren't an artist, it's whether something is fine art or not. There are different definitions for fine art. Some artists use art to seek meaning in life or to seek truth, what I find to be a higher level than just mere innovation.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well you are called DickButtonFan, which pretty much invalidates your opinion on anything. :p

:rofl:

I really hope you are just trolling. :scream:

Jesus Christ, why is Kinkade being seriously talked about as an artist. Those kind of cheesy, pastoral, utterly tasteless pictures can be found everywhere (although the light will usually be not as good in them).

25. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

His stuff always reminds me of those Christmas villages some people buy buildings for every year and set on their mantle place. :lol:

26. agalisgv

How would you define it? Seeking truth and higher meaning? And do you define it from the POV of the artist or audience/viewer?

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Your definition of art is both extremely narrow and naive.

28. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Typical behavior for your typical hacktacular hack!

29. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I think Thomas Kincaid's work can be said to be "pretty."

Some of the pictures are cozy, and I certainly couldn't paint close to that if I tried, but other than a warm fuzzy feeling from it, it doesn't really evoke much or inspire much IMO. I feel like it's just "oh here's a bunch of cozy homes with warm lights.....that's nice" Almost paints too perfect of a picture in the world we live in. What's left to be inspired about when everything is "just so" already in the paintings. But yeah, some of the paintings would look nice on a wall for a colorful effect.

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member