PA Announcers at Championships (Threads Merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eurodance2001, Apr 7, 2012.

1. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

This seems like a silly question but how are they selected? I ask because there are some really bad ones at US Championships that get to do it year aftet year! In particular, there's this really bad lady announcers whom after butchering names in San Jose, was at Four Continents at it again. She's the one whom was saying 'Caroline Zang'! Lol.. With a gratty nails on chalkboard kind of voice. I'm just curious how someone like her gets asked to keep announcing..
    meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

Nepotism in the USFSA?
  3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

The same lady announcer who referred to Cynthia Phaneuf as "Cynthine" or something? :rofl:
  4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not excusing bad announcing, because it's really annoying. But it's probably really hard to find someone who can correctly pronounce names from many different ethnic origins *and* who is enough of a broadcasting professional to know how to sound good on the PA system *and* who (ideally) knows something about the sport they are announcing. That's a pretty tall order.
  5. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

We Finns have one, the guy who announced the 2009 Europeans in Helsinki. He is fluent in several languages and checks all the names. He has been the best announcer I have ever listened.
  6. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

pjKwong is the best!
  7. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Say,I've been wondering about that. When Announcers (I presume they get a list of Skaters) get ready to announce the names of Skaters in Competition...for Skaters with uncommon last names,or names that don't sound in any way like there spelled (for example Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt)...do they translate names like that out into the way they would be spelled if written out the way they sound? So it can be easy for them to read? Or do Announcers just learn how to pronounce those kind of names?
  8. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee New Member

One of my jobs as a monitor at competitions is to give the correct pronunciation of a name to the judges. I get a request to clarify a name. I find that skater and ask how they want their name pronounced; I write down what the skater tells me phonetically and say it back to be sure I am correct. Then I take that information back to the judges.
  9. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Say,I'm glad this thread was posted. As please see my related thread about announcers and unusual spelling Skaters names.
  10. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

My husband serves as an announcer for our club's competitions and exhibitions, and he always runs through the names and checks with someone about pronunciations of any complicated ones (and will write out the name for himself phonetically, or how it sounds). These are small events, though.
  11. FSWer

FSWer New Member

cool!!! BTW. before we go on...DO you know how to pronounce Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt? BTW. who gives it to the Announcer?
  12. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Does phonetically mean how a word or name sounds?
  13. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Exactly, FSWer. For example, our last name is Weiner, but it's pronounced with and "i" sound, so someone can write it out as WINE-er to remind themselves of the correct pronuciation.
  14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I think on TV they pronounced it - Kring-care-root and Ju-letti-Schmitt but if that's correct or not, I don't know.
  15. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

In the U.S., announcers and music coordinators (they train and are certified in both areas) go through similar training as judges and accountants. I believe there is some sort of formal training run by USFS, then they shadow/apprentice at competitions, starting at the club level and progressing all the way up to National level. After receiving an appointment at each level (regional, sectional, etc), they start training for the next level. It can take years, depending on how much time someone has to put into it, to get a national appointment. I don't believe there is an international or world-level appointment - I think once they reach the national level, they are eligible to work int'l events that the U.S. hosts (SA, 4CC, Worlds...).

They are volunteers who got into skating either as a participant or fan and most are not professional broadcasters. Scripts for events are usually written ahead of time, and then I guess the skaters' names get placed in based on start order. It is hard to pronounce unfamiliar names, particularly those based on another language, and I think most announcers do a good job. But yeah, that announcer at 4CC (who I believe also worked Nats) was somewhat off - I can understand mispronouncing names, but there were times she called for the next warm-up group where there was another skater to go, or said the wrong name for the event. And given that they are handed a script, it was all quite bizarre.
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Some of the pronunciations I heard from the announcers at Nice on the BOLD broadcasts* were pretty :yikes:. There were some that were strictly French pronunciation, some that were a hybrid -- the male announcer did not skip the "h" in "Donohue", but pronounced the "hue" as "hoo", both of which made perfect sense, and some which didn't make linguistic sense to me, like "Po-gee" for Poje, which I thought would be easy for a French announcer.

The hardest must be the North American names, because often you can't tell how the family pronounces their own.

I never know what syllable to emphasize with Slavic names. I love the Hungarian (general) rule to accent the first syllable.

*Because PJ stopped talking long enough to hear them, something that can't be said for the CBC teams.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  17. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

PJ Kwong has been an announcer for many events within Canada as well as at many international events, including two summer Olympics, three winter Olympics, as well as World Cup Soccer, etc. Check out her bio here: http://pjkwong.com/?page_id=14

I'm sure she cringes as she hears some of the announcers in the arena as she's doing the BOLD coverage :)
  18. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

The best one in Nice was Showban 'eekin Cannedy. Me and C_T_T had a good :lol: over that one last night. :lol:
  19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

They sometimes don't know! I have cousins who say their last name differently, both insisting they are correct.

Announcers have a very tough job. I've done it a few times for local competitions- and I imagine there is a lot of pressure on the national ones! At the local competitions the announcer also has to work with the ref to keep things on schedule (at a recent one I took an hour break to compete, and when I got back I got "oh good! We got behind with the other woman.") I don't know if timing is as much the duty of a high level announcer though.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:lol: -- I had forgotten about that, because my family went for alternate, pronunciation-specific spellings.
  21. FSWer

FSWer New Member

How is Schmitt pronounced??
  22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Like it's spelled, basically. :D

Like mitt with a Shhhh in front of it.
  23. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Also, I'm pretty sure Giulietti is pronounced Gee-let-ti or even Gee-uh-let-ti. I know Rudy Giuliani pronounced his last name as Ju-lee-ann-ee but I don't remember Giulietti-Schmitt being pronounced that way when I've seen them live.

But I could be wrong.
  24. Tammi

Tammi Well-Known Member

For qualifying events in the US, there is an area to type in the phonetic spelling of the skaters name. That's passed along to the LOC's. When we do local events, registration will usually ask the skater when they get checked in if there's a question about pronunciation. That gets noted on the sheet for the music/announcers.
  25. A judge

A judge New Member

She must! She sounds like she has an education in modern languages or something like that.
  26. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

A good friend of my family's was a rink announcer for Skate Canada for many years (25+). He's bilingual, and if he didn't know how to pronounce a name, he asked the skater or the skater's coach directly.
    He absolutely cringes when he hears the name butchering sometimes.
  27. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Giuletti-Schmidt would be pronounced Jule-yet-tee Sh-mitt IF the rules of the original languages are used.

But kwanfan181 was correct that North Americans often do not retain the original pronunciation (or spelling) so asking is a necessity if accuracy is valued.
  28. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

The announcers in Nice were terrible, all of them, in both rinks. None of them could even speak a word of English. And don't let me start on their pronounciation of the Japanese names, among others...
  29. Libertango

Libertango New Member

My french friends and I laughed so much because of the whole "elle nous vient des [insert country name here]" :lol: