P&G & Walmart Tribute to American Legends of the Ice~Wed,December 11 @ 7:30 P

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by dardar1126, Sep 18, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

http://www.meadowlands.com/Events/P_G___Walmart_Tribute_to_American_Legends_of_the_Ice.aspx

P&G & Walmart Tribute to American Legends of the Ice

Wednesday, December 11 at 7:30 PM

"A Celebration of the Great Tradition of American Skating"

Watch performances by current and past National and Olympic medalists including Brian Boitano, Dick Button, Ashley Wagner, Max Aaron, Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, Ross Miner, Agnes Zawadzki, and many more. The show will be hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and Michael Weiss.

Plus special musical guest performer Scotty McCreery will perform in the tribute to American skating legends before they head off to Sochi.

Tickets:
    $150, $75, $60, $40

Parking Lots Open:
    TBD

Parking Fee:
    Cars:
    Buses:

Doors Open:
    6:30 PM

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I can't help it. . . "Tribute to American Brand Names," sponsored by Wal-Mart & Procter & Gamble and taking place at the Izod Center. Let's just hope that there's plenty of additional product placement throughout the show. :blah:

(Oh, and really? Dick Button is going to perform? erm. . . yes, please, on the commentary but I do not advise that Mr Button skate!)

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  3. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

A bit premature to be calling Wagner and Aaron "legends," no?

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe their performances are tributes to the legends? Not that they are legends?

Their site made me laugh- the photo advertisement is Sasha, Evan, and Ashley. Sasha and Evan aren't even in the list of skaters on that site.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

December 11? That will be tough on any of the skaters who (hopefully) will be coming back from participating in the Grand Prix Final.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

http://www.dissonskating.com/our-shows/pg-and-walmart-tribute-to-american-legends-of-the-ice/

Cast & Special Appearances: Dick Button, Evan Lysacek, Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano, Carol Heiss Jenkins, Hayes Jenkins, Tenley Albright, Nancy Kerrigan, Sasha Cohen, Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Paul Wylie, Rosalynn Sumners, Kitty & Peter Carruthers, Linda Fratianne, Ashley Wagner, Max Aaron, Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, Ross Miner, Agnes Zawadzki.

I've started an info thread for the 4 Disson Skating shows here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-3-(PA)-amp-9-(FL)-and-Dec-11-(NJ)-amp-14-(NY)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

I think that's what the person who wrote the release meant but that's not what it says. The "they" gramatically refers to the "legends" = writing FAIL.

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Ka-CHING :bribe:

9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Pandora? :wall:

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

No sponsors = no televised show & no money for the skaters.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

^Yeah, I know. Unfortunate reality. Well, I'll have my Musselman's applesauce at the ready.

12. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm going to see Uncle Dick on the ice?!
    This is right next door to me. It will be my Christmas present. To myself if necessary.

13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I found out about this show a few days ago when we received our latest issue of IFS Magazine (with Brian Orser :encore: on the cover). The Disson shows for this season are listed on the back cover. We were @ Mike Weiss' show this past Sunday, and I saw Steve Disson. I went over to him to ask him some questions about the show - criteria for the legends being in the show - the non-Olympic eligibles were Olympic medalists, the current US skaters in the show are Olympic eligible hopefuls.

I doubt that Uncle Dickie will skate, but I'm sure he'll he'll be honored, and can't wait to see him again (while he is still alive)!

14. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I'm just going to put this out there: I hope Ashley has a decent exhibition number this year, and not one of those butt-shaking things in hot pants. It's time to grow up and perform like a national champion... ESPECIALLY in this company!

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If I weren't going to Nationals, I'd attend this!
    The generation who created skating as we know it, deserves to be honored while they are here to enjoy it!

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Seriously missing: Michelle Kwan, Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming, Scott Hamilton
    Tai & Randy

I hope they will be in attendance (not skating) and will be recognized at the show, since it's called 'Tribute to American legends'

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I would suspect that Uncle Dick will make an appearance but will not be skating. I haven't heard of him skating since the accident a number of years ago when he had a serious brain injury that left him hospitalized for a long period. But it sounds like a wonderful show in any event and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

And while I agree all the promo spots in the shows can be a bit much, I'm glad there are still companies that support skating and I always try to give them positive feedback on social media for their efforts.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I am envious of you east coast residents. You get so many skating performances- competitions and otherwise...........Sigh.

19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Hmm, I might have to look into this...more after the break!!

20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

My jaw dropped at the mention of Dick Button on ice. He was on ice at Battle of the Blades a few years ago and looked rather wobbley. Kurt very quietly moved to his side and steadied him.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Dick had his accident while skating on an outdoor rink when he was in his early 70's. That was over 10 years ago now, I think. Kudos to him for still being outside skating for fun in his 70's, but I'm sure he's been more cautious since that injury, and I respect him for using his experience to volunteer as a spokesperson for the Brain Injury Association.

22. paskatefan

Well, we did lose the Family Skating Tribute in Atlantic City last year, due to Hurricane Sandy (Phoenix got it instead). Grateful that it will be @ Penn State on 11/3. Yes, we have been lucky (some Skate Americas on the East Coast in the past), Boston & Greensboro Nationals coming up in 2014 & 2015, respectively. OTOH, the West Coast has also had several Nationals, Skate Americas, Worlds (in Los Angeles), etc., so hopefully it will balance out. I'm not trying to ignore the middle of the US, either.

23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great one, hopefully it gets televised! :)

As the years pass I appreciate Mr. Button more & more, no telling how much longer he'll be around, especially with the recent passing of Miss Barbara Ann Scott last year. :(

Here's hoping there'll be a television event that brings together the surviving Olympic Champions from around the World. :cool: (last time they had one was way back in the mid 90's; still have it on VHS, lol).

ETA: I recall how sad Mr. Button was when Barbara passed, probably thinking of his own mortality, as he's only 1 yr. younger than her, and is the same age as her when she passed last year...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  24. paskatefan

Airdate - according to the back cover of the latest issue of IFS Magazine - Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 2:30 - 4:30 PM EST on NBC

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Got my ticket - planning to be there!

Seems to be a little confusion over who's just appearing in the show and who will actually perform...anybody "in the know" who can clear this up?

26. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Why are they advertising Evan as one of the skaters? Even if he is able to be back on the ice by then, he really shouldn't push himself skating in a show a few weeks before Nationals.

27. paskatefan

RD, glad to hear that you're going! I would think that all of the Olympic eligible skaters will skate. The non-Olympic eligibles (pros) - I guess it depends on their health issues - I would doubt that Dick Button would skate in this, but just to see him there to be honored is worth it to us.

While we are very much looking forward to this show, I do have one bone to pick. I feel that the criteria for the pros should be broadened to include World champions/multi-time world medalists - not limited to Olympic medalists. Since this show showcases American legends, I think that Michelle Kwan & Todd Eldredge should have been invited to skate in this show. As World champs, multi-time World medalists, not to mention multi-time US National champs, IMHO those things should count (not to mention longevity in the sport)! Rant over!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  28. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Michelle was invited to the Tribute Show in Atlantic City in 2010. She declined.

29. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I don't think Michelle is skating much anymore, she has a new husband, a new job, and a very busy life, including preparing to work for Fox for the Olympics. Not exactly time to plan and practice a program. She has pretty much moved on to a new phase of her life.

30. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think fans have to get used to MK not skating in shows any more. Too bad, because I would have liked to see her skate...and didn't do so the one time I had a chance (a chance I didn't know about until afterward!!)