Outstanding , memorable COP programs

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by The Accordion, Dec 7, 2010.

1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

They took many elements of the choreography from their first program of the year

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

Sasha Cohen's swan lake from the first half of the season, choreo by Tarasova for COP before Robin Wagner changed it...

3. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Besides the programs that have been mentioned, I would add Jeremy Abbott's 8 Seasons LP (2008-09).

4. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Also from Savoie--Barber's Adagio SP.

5. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

A/P Carmina Burana was a masterpiece - no doubt - and IIRC that was under some early version of CoP. I'm not sure if that fits the requirement of CoP program though, since it was very different from the current version, from what I remember.

Other outstanding and memorable dances - that I would call unforgettable and certainly masterpieces -

K/N NoBMt - the program that rekindled my interest in ice dance and ice dancers after A/P retired.

K/N Gypsy Dance - one of the few standout ODs in an dire season - a brilliant combination of creativity and emotion.

P/G [?] Ravel's Waltz - a Tom Dickson dance that proves ballroom doesnt have to be boring.

S/G Jr FD House of the Flying Daggers - Tak and I were just stunned after watching this - the elements were so seamlessly interwoven into the dance we hardly noticed them. I think we watched it 3 times and still couldnt believe how good it was.

Other outstanding and memorable dances -

Bollywood OD - very creative.

Samson & Delilah FD - still their best program IMO

F/S Moonlight Sonata - this was a gorgeous program with a very interesting concept. Unfortunately they never performed it really well. How I wish V/M had done this!

ETA - I/K Jr FD - Schindler's List - an amazing mature and sober program - with an ending that grabs you like the movie did. I am still astounded that any 15 year old could pull that off!

6. mia joy

mia joy New Member

wow, I had no idea it was named Organ Donor... I guess I missed the whole main idea of the dance then... but I still loved it :p yeah, good old times before Zhulin, when their dances were incredible.

I cannot believe that out of all Phantoms performed under CoP, you chose this one as outstanding... well, different tastes, I guess.

I know I might be in minority, but I actually prefered Krlwng to this one.

7. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Carolina Kostner- 2005 Worlds SP Country
    Davis & White- 2010 Worlds Indian dance
    Patrick Chan - 2010 Worlds Tango SP
    Yuna Kim- 2007 Tango de Roxanne & 2009 Danse Macabre
    Mao Asada -2010 Bells of Moscow & Masquerade
    Sasha Cohen- 2006 Dark eyes
    Takahashi- 2010 worlds- La starda & 2008 4CC Swan lake
    Aliona & Robin -2009 Schindler's list
    Stephane LAmbiel- Dralion

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

No, that was from 2000, several years before the first version of the new judging system was introduced.

What you might be thinking of is that starting in the 1999 season there were required elements in free dances, so free dances from that era were more similarly structured to each other than FDs from 1998 and before.

Also introduced at that time were required deductions for falls in dance.

But the scoring until 2003 was all 6.0.

Tak and (deleted member) like this.
  9. chaerae

chaerae Active Member

LOL, especially when D/W had fantastic performances to compare in the same season. I guess it really is just personal taste. I have sort of an intense dislike of the POTO music. There are better programs/performances out there, certainly, but W/P's was the only one that made me actually enjoy the music rather than just grit my teeth through it while trying to enjoy the choreo/perf. Probably doesn't deserve to be on the outstanding list, but it was personally memorable. :shrug:

(And I believe P/B's music was called the Organ Donor, but their concept was Insanity, so you probably didn't miss anything. :) )

10. Amy03

Amy03 Member

mao asada:
    bells of moscow 2010
    fantasy for violin 2008
    nutcracker 2005
    nocturne 2007

daisuke takahashi:
    la strada 2010

yuna kim:
    tango de roxanne 2007

11. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

I agree with many already mentioned, and will add a couple of my favorites:

- Sasha Cohen Malaguena SP 2003/2004
    - Totminina/Marinan - Snowstorm SP 2006
    - Shen/Zhao - Nutcracker LP 2004

12. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Ahh! That must be it! I associate required elements with CoP so I'm getting confused.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  13. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

I guess, to me, CoP-friendly ≠ outstanding and/or memorable.

When I think of someone who milked CoP like a cow yet managed to make his programs outstanding and memorable, I think of Jeffrey Buttle.

Definitely not Evan Lysacek.

14. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Bingo!

No, not just you... :slinkaway

Pechalat & Bourzat Flamenco OD 2008 comes in my mind, adding to the performances mentioned above, as well as Samuel Contesti's cowboy FS from 2009. And, well, Preaubert's extremely hideous but :lol: and :inavoid: earlier programs (the one where he is a bee, and the Mask one). They sure are memorable. ;)

15. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

After watching the JPGF SP performances from last night, I'm going to add with Elizaveta Tuktamyshewa's SP 10-11. Yeah, it's her first season even as a junior, and she needs a bit more polish, but I really like it. Not only are her transitions and footwork sequence actually timed well to the music, but the way she holds her arms and hands and the positions she uses for the little mini-spins all really reflect the character of the music. Very refreshing, after a season of flamenco that doesn't look like flamenco, endless tangos that don't look like tango, two Michael Jackson programs that have very little Michael Jackson in them, and on and on. Plus: not warhorse music!

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Mao Asada 07 SP (Nocturne)

Yu na Kim 2010 LP

Totmianina-Marinin 2006 SP (Snowstorm)

Virtue-Moir 2010 FD

Davis-White 2010 OD

Matt Savoie 2006 SP (Barber's adagio), LP (The mission)

Johnny Weir 2006 SP (The Swan)

Kawaguchi-Smirnov 2010 SP (The swan)

Takahashi 2010 LP (La Strada)

Irina Slutskaya 2006 SP (Totentanz)

Sasha Cohen 2006 SP (Dark eyes)

Shizuka Arakawa 2006 LP (Turandot)

That's all I can think of right now.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

A&P never skated under COP. They won the OGM in 2002, then turned pro. They skated to Carmina Burana in 2000. There was no COP in 2002 and before, in any version.