Out and about in NYC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Dec 2, 2012.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

2. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I'm glad you liiked Hudson Warehouse. :) King Lear is not on my "Shakespeare Top 10 list" (I'm more of a Merry Wives type) but I went to see the preview on Thursday. I turned up early and got to watch them rehearse the knife fight scene on the other side of the steps. I liked the way they updated it to Wall Street in the 1980's - I cracked up at the Fool, who was wearing a "Frankie Say Relax" t-shirt. (I confess: I once owned one of those.:lol:)
    The show was very well done and it's free, so go see it! They are doing the Three Musketeers next and I plan to see that as well.

3. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

How could I forget to mention the Water Taxi! I'm glad you found that- it's a lovely scenic ride. If you like running, there's a great path down 12th Ave (which is basically the Hudson) with nice breezes and views, especially of the Intrepid, and if you catch it on the right day, Carnival's cruise ships up in the 50s.

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Marge, I was there Thursday for the preview too! I can't believe I missed you! I was wearing a Vancouver Canucks cap. I sat near the "aisle" on the left side.

Saturday, I ate at another burger place called Black Burger in the Tribeca area. Pretty good. The curly fries were fantastic.

The Philharmonic was nice and the Lincoln Center was beautiful but it didn't thrill me. I don't think I'm ultimately a symphony kinda guy. I needed skaters to perform to the music. I also hated that I went to the event in pants. Ugh, way too hot for pants!

I went to Magnolia to get a cupcake. I got a flourless chocolate cupcake. The icing was more "whipped" than the standard buttercream. It was good. No lineups!

Then went to another dessert place at Max Brenner--Chocolates By the Bald Man. Two words--TOO. MUCH. You must go in a group and share a dessert. TOO MUCH. I ordered a s'mores sundae. It was good, but TOO MUCH.

I had a great time in NYC. Next time I will go when a skating event takes place there--surely, the weather will be a lot milder.

ETA: I did get a NYC pizza from Famiglia, but it was at the airport. And it wasn't a pizza--it was a breakfast calzone. But I did get yelled at by the staff for taking a photo and not being a Yankees fan. Does that count? It was delicious, BTW.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I think the Hudson would be a great run. I was planning on doing it but I did the race at Roosevelt Island instead. The Hudson looks to be a better run than the Brooklyn Bridge ended up being (although I really enjoyed my run through Park Slope). The pedestrian path on the Bridge is kinda barricaded, no? Tough to really check out the sites. I actually got a better view of the Bridge while taking the Subway back to my hotel. And the wooden planks kinda freaked me out.

6. Marge_Simpson

I know what you mean about Max Brenner. Even though it is one of my fantasies to go there with a group and order ALL the desserts. The last time I was there, about a month ago, I actually ate lunch first, and asked the waitress which dessert was the smallest one, as I had already scarfed down a pizza. She said the molten heart thingie was "tiny and just enough for one person"
    Well, it was fabulous, I'll grant her that, but small it was not. It was a molten chocolate cake with white chocolate inside, and came with a side of dulce de leche, a scoop of ice cream, and a shot of hot chocolate. Of course I ate every bite, though. :lol:

When is our ice cream taste-test meetup??????

7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Got home and tried the Empire Mayo. Fantastic! Here's the website:

http://www.empiremayo.com/

I only got the Classic flavour, it seems they have a few different flavours. The black garlic and white truffle sound divine.

8. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

ooooh- ice cream taste-test meetup- I'm in!

As for the Brooklyn Bridge- I find it's almost always seriously crowded with tourists- way too many people, not enough space. The Manhattan Bridge is much better for crossing: they segregate bikes on one side, pedestrians on the other. To some extent, people actually abide by this, and it helps a lot. (Now if you'll excuse me- I'm going to ride my bike across the Brooklyn Bridge. Free BB King concert tonight!)

9. Marge_Simpson

10. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

oooh- that sounds cool. I'm doing a bike ride in the neighborhood.....

11. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Marge, it is doubtful that I'll ever get back to NYC so I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm living vicariously through all of you.

12. pp55

pp55 Member

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

One of the coffee shops I went to by accident, Laughing Man Coffee, is apparently owned by Hugh Jackman. All profits goes to charity. I'm so glad I went!

https://secure.laughingmancheckout.com/

14. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Just home from a long weekend in NYC. My first trip, will not be my last... What a fabulous city. It was HOT but we managed to do and see so much. I'm already planning the things I will do next time I visit the city. So much to explore. So much fun!

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Marge_Simpson

I saw "The Tempest" in Battery Park on Sunday evening and recommend it to all. It's by NY Classical Theatre and is free. They do "moveable theatre", ie every few scenes the play moves to a different location, and the audience moves with them. So bring a towel to sit on. I've seen many of their performances in Central Park, but this was the first time I went to see them in Battery Park. "The Tempest" is not one of my favorites as I think it's just plain weird, but the location, right on the water, was really effective here. And the acting was excellent.
    Two thumbs up!

http://www.newyorkclassical.org/whats-playing

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

On Sunday I went over to Brooklyn to see the Crest Hardware Art Show. www.greenpointnews.com/entertainment/5465/crest-celebrates-the-tools-of-its-trade

You bring your hardware shopping list and while you are picking up that new shower curtain liner you need or that can of spackling compound, you wander the aisles looking at the art which is displayed everywhere throughout the store. Loved the portrait of one of the bosses totally made out of sandpaper and Joseph's Coat of Many Colors which was all duct tape. Then there was the dog made entirely of bicycle parts with bicycle pedals for paws, and so on, and so on.

Show runs through the end of the month at least, so you still have time to check it out.

Had brunch first at Cafe Dumont - highly recommended. Very easy to get to: Lorimer Street on the L or Metropolitan Avenue on the G.

17. Marge_Simpson

I'm going to check that out, emason! Definitely off beat and up my alley.

18. Marge_Simpson

19. JeffClair1979

Yay! Just got confirmation that I will be seeing Joan Rivers live at the Lori Beachman Theater on Monday! That should be a hoot and a half, that's for sure!

Also booked my tickets to see Alice Ripley (Next to Normal, Side Show) at 54 Below on August 3rd (which is my last night living in NYC before I move back to Rochester! What a way to go!)

Bucket List = shorter!

20. Marge_Simpson

You can't move until we have our ice cream meet-up.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

So glad I found this thread! I'm heading to Brooklyn for 2 weeks, minus the middle weekend. It's for work, so I'll be busy, but I hope to find time for a few touristy things.

22. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I had no idea they renamed that theater after cabaret singer Laurie Beechman. I was friendly with her back in the 1970's when she was performing at a club in my neighborhood - a good friend of mine was the MC several nights a week. I still remember how excited she was when she got hired for a part in the original Broadway company of Annie - she brought her "blue" contract to the club and was showing it to everyone. We lost touch after her career took off and she was sick the night I went to see her in Cats. I was so sad to hear of her passing in 1998 but I'm so happy to hear that she is memorialized in this theater.

Enjoy the Joan Rivers show there - sorry you are leaving NYC!

23. JeffClair1979

OK- deal! We'll have to do it one night next week- I'm out of town this week, and leave on August 4th! Fortunately, I'll be in the city all the time, since Rochester's only 5 hours away, so I won't be that far gone :)

24. JeffClair1979

Sorry I spelled her name wrong in the original post :( I'm terrible about those things! So cool that you got a chance to get to know her, though! The theater is a small cabaret theater in the basement of a restaurant and it's a wonderful performance space!! The Joan Rivers show was fun, but boy, is she a foul mouth! I'm not easily offended, but I sure did blush a few times! :)

25. Marge_Simpson

I was prowling around Chelsea earlier, and made a delicious discovery, City Cakes:
    http://www.citycakesny.com/
    It's a tiny place and easy to miss as it's on the basement level, but I saw the word "cake" out of the corner of my eye and had to investigate. I discovered that their specialty is half-pound cookies. :eek: They looked divine but I knew I would eat it all in one go and they probably have at least 5000 calories. So I opted for a cinnamon crunch cupcake. Yum, yum.
    I was in the area because I went to see Pilobolus at the Joyce. They are kind of hard to describe - modern dance/performance art with a great sense of humor. If you haven't seen them, you should check them out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S21s0ZlM-dU
    Ticket info here:
    http://www.joyce.org/performance/pilobolus/#.Ufyhv5rD83A

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Pilobolus, aren't those the same people who do the shadow thing? They have so many amazing acts and I keep hoping they come back to Louisiana on tour soon.

27. Marge_Simpson

28. Marge_Simpson

If you have a thing for vintage posters, check out Chisolm Larsson, also in Chelsea:
    http://www.chisholm-poster.com/
    If I ever win the lottery, I will go there and buy ALL the ballet posters. I was lustng after the Royal Danish Ballet poster, but it was $350. :eek:
    Fortunately I hadn't been drinking before I stopped by, or I probably would have purchased it.
    They have lots of skating posters (Ice Follies and such) if you collect skating stuff.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the lottery, the powerball will be at $400 million for the next drawing. If I win, I will buy you tons of ballet posters!

30. Marge_Simpson

I got to hang out with Kedrin and Morgana LaFay tonight, when I went to see "E.T." in Bryant Park. :)
    It turns out that Kedrin is an avid kayaker - is that the right word? - and has convinced me to give it a try. She has promised to post info here, and I have promised to give it a go.
    So if I don't attempt it, you can all mock me for being a coward and not keeping my word.

I saw Hudson Warehouse's "Three Musketeers" last weekend and it is terrific. Lots of sword-fighting action! They perform at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument on 89th and RSD, and performances are free. Just show up and grab a seat. Info here:
    http://www.hudsonwarehouse.net/season.htm