Out and about in NYC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Dec 2, 2012.

1. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I second the train show. I went a few years ago, and I loved it. We got discount tickets through Goldstar if I remember rightly; we got discount tickets one year for the orchid show also, so check around. I'm sure you'll find something.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's the info for tonight: http://www.wintervillage.org/visit/event/3695

Marge_Simpson likes this.
  3. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Great. I'm wondering if I get a better view from my office....(walks over to window)......hmm. There are trees, but there's still not a bad view of the rink from my window. Would you rather meet down by the rink, or watch from up here?

4. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Up there....if the view isn't bad, and I'm allowed up there?
    What time, and how do I find you? And what would you like from Magnolia Bakery?

5. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

pm me your name, and I'll get you a pass. Close to 6:00 is good, as a lot of work people will have cleared out. I don't think there'll be any trouble, but I like to be subtle about such things. Bakery- mmm, I don't know. No need, really.

6. Marge_Simpson

I will be discrete, and not walk in shouting, "Wheee, I'm Marge Simpson, I'm in no pryde, so where is this kedrin person?"
    See you in a bit, I'm not especially tiffed today, but I will maintain a low profile. :)

As for the baked goods, nobody ever NEEDS them.

kedrin likes this.
  7. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Just remember that you said this when I show up at the airport on Monday without the pan of blonde brownies I was planning on making Monday morning.

8. Marge_Simpson

But I want them! (stamps foot) Bring the blonde brownies!

9. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

No- no I did not NEED to eat peanut butter fudge for dinner tonight. But dang, it was good! :D Thanks, Marge.

10. Marge_Simpson

But peanut butter fudge is good for you - the peanuts have vitamins and fiber, so it's practically a health food.
    You're welcome, and thanks so much for letting me view the skating from your workplace window - it sure beat standing out in the rain.
    BTW, kedrin and I discussed items on our bucket lists, and thanks to her, mine has grown considerably longer.
    I am now committed to:
    riding a bicycle in Central Park
    going back to Fraunces Tavern to see Washington's hair
    kayaking
    eating a durian
    trying dragon fruit
    seeing the "Death Becomes Her" exhibit
    finding a bead making class
    visiting Boston
    eating at the Oyster Bar
    the train show at BG

Did I leave anything out? :lol:
    The only thing I anticipate trouble with is the durian. I can buy one easily enough, but if I cut one open in my apartment, will my neighbors form a lynch mob and have me evicted? If anyone has durian experience, please advise!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  11. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Yes- I felt very healthy last night. This morning on the scale- not so much.

I think you got everything on your list. On mine- let's see:

The Rubin Museum
    The Japan Society
    The Tenement Museum
    Taking a glassblowing class
    Museum of Chinese in America

Also- I forgot to mention some things upstate/further afield:

Hyde Park
    Sagamore Hill (just watched the Ken Burns series on the Roosevelts)
    New Paltz
    Fall Colors in Vermont
    Bike Ride up Mount Washington
    Apple picking

And I have one other reccomendation for you, Marge: cherry blossoms in the Japanese garden at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, if you haven't already seen them. I try and go at least once a year.

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'm trying to plan the NYC part of our trip. We have the tickets to Caberet. For the Radio City Music Hall, we're going to use the ticket booth thingie. I want to go for a run in Central Park but I know my family won't. I was thinking about ice skating at Rockefeller Square. I've always wanted to do that. But I'm still afraid of falling while skating and getting another concussion. That train exhibit in the Bronx sounds like something Mr. Mac would would want to see too. And I always take the Staten Island ferry when I'm in NYC. No reason. I just like it.

Would people want to get together with us? We'll be there Mon afternoon, the 29th, and all day on the 30th, leaving first thing on the 31st.

13. Marge_Simpson

Here is the website for the botanical gardens, MacMadame.
    http://www.nybg.org/
    If you decide to go, the best way to get there from downtown is on Metro-North, not the regular subway. You can catch it at Grand Central Station and get off at the Botanical Gardens stop, the ride takes 25 minutes.

kedrin, you also need to see the Alvin Ailey company, preferably on an evening when they are doing "Revelations". Info here, but also check Goldstar for tickets:

http://www.nycitycenter.org/Home

And you need to re-visit the Frick. ;)

14. Marge_Simpson

15. Marge_Simpson

OK, 4rkidz has given me an assignment: come up with a tapas restaurant that serves the yummy pimientos that we ate in Barcelona last week. I've found a place, Boqueria, that has good reviews, but I've never eaten there myself. I'm off this Friday and could go check them out , but I have a lot of errands to run and may not have time. So, has anyone ever eaten there?
    Website is here:

http://www.boquerianyc.com/

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The one at 171 Spring Street is just down the block from my Friday job at 138 Spring Street; I pass it every time I go to work, and I've always been tempted to check it out, but so far haven't. Perhaps we need a future outing there. (It's also down the block from the nice bakery where I got you a goodie one time.)

17. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

I believe I've eaten at the one on Spring Street.- quite good.

On another note: I went to the Frick on Saturday (thanks Marge!) and saw the Masterpices from the Scottish National Gallery. Always great to visit that setting.

emason and Marge_Simpson like this.
  18. Marge_Simpson

You're welcome!
    I didn't have time for Boqueria yesterday, but it's been added to my bucket list.
    I have nagged a coworker into going to the train show next week, on one of the adults-only evenings. I will report back.