Out and about in NYC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I saw something in this week's TimeOut NY about a new show called "Bedbugs!"
    So I had a look at their website. This looks completely demented.
    I must see it.
    http://www.bedbugsmusical.com/

The feast of San Gennaro started this weekend.
    If you have never been to the feast, you are not a true New Yorker!
    For newbies: it's just an excuse to eat fattening pastries, and sausage and peppers. And it's very crowded.
    info here:

http://www.sangennaro.org/index.htm

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    JeffClair1979 likes this.
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I had a great time at If/Then last night. I've never cried during a musical before (I think the singing usually removes me from reality, unlike a movie or play) but I had tears dripping down my face at this one. Idina Menzel is phenomenal and the rest of the cast superb. Sadly Anthony Rapp was out (I had read before that he might be) but what is odd is while he is clearly advertised on the website as part of the cast, he wasn't on the sheet as being understudied, rather he has been replaced in the playbill. Idina is what drew me to the show, but as a fan of his, seeing he was also in the cast made up my mind. Boo on you website, if the playbill had been reprinted, it could have been adjusted too.

The Richard Rodgers theater was lovely and I had seats at the front of rear orchestra. Because of the grade, I actually think Row L and row M are better than anything in front of them. I had choice between second row and M and am so glad I sat further back. (I was on the inner right aisle, and that also worked great.)

Now unfortunately, I'm trying to get through the night in "the city that can't sleep". hmmmm... That phrase doesn't sound quite right.

Marge_Simpson likes this.
  3. Marge_Simpson

Thanks for the tip - I've just added If/Then to my bucket list.
    I bought a ticket for the bedbug musical. :lol:
    I will report back.

Has anyone ever eaten lunch at the United Nations? I was on the UN website with my coworker, who wants to take her young son on one of their guided tours. (I did this several years ago and really enjoyed it - very informative) While we were poking around, we discovered that they have a buffet restaurant mainly for the diplomats and delegates, but it's open to the public if you reserve in advance, and seems to have some great views, too.
    Should I put it on my ever-expanding bucket list?

skatesindreams and taf2002 like this.
  4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Marge, you're the only person I know who actually continually checks off her bucket list. :respec:

Marge_Simpson likes this.
  5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I just saw it this past Thursday. I knew the writers were the same people who wrote Next to Normal but I really wasn't looking forward to it. I only went because my friend really wanted to see it and I was expected something like that Gwyneth Paltrow movie Sliding Doors, a movie I admit have judged without seeing. However, If/Then was quite excellent. Idina Menzel has never been better and I think seriously grown into quite a fine actress (I was only mildly impressed with her acting in Wicked). LaChanze was excellent and still has an incredible voice. I saw the understudy for LaChanze's girlfriend (blanking on her name), but I really liked her as well. I was sad that I didn't get to see Anthony Rapp, but I thought the replacement did a capable job.

I didn't except the show to be so relevant to me. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Now I want to see You Can't Take it With You, On the Town, Cabaret (before Michelle Williams leaves and Emma Stone takes over), and On the Twentieth Century (with Kristin Chenoweth later in the season next year).

Skittl1321 likes this.
  6. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I've eaten at the UN restaurant several times and can highly recommend the experience.

skatesindreams and Marge_Simpson like this.
  7. Marge_Simpson

I think I posted about this before, but a couple of years ago I came across the "52 Weeks" blog and it really resonated with me. So I decided to do something similar; each week I try to check something off my bucket list. Which never gets shorter, because everyone here is always giving me good suggestions on things to try out!

http://the52weeks.com/

8. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm coming to NYC on Thursday and Friday--so excited! I got invited to an awards ceremony held at the Pierre hotel.

I've enjoyed reading through the suggestions on this thread; it's been really helpful. I'm looking for things that I can't get in B'more--macarons, Eastern European pastries, authentic NYC bagels, the most unusually awesome NYC restaurant, etc. And shopping for shoes! Marge, can you please recommend something? I'll be staying mostly in midtown, and I'm on a student's budget.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014 at 2:21 AM
  9. Marge_Simpson

There are some great Polish bakeries out in Greenpoint, but that would be a bit of a trek from midtown. I'd say check out Poseidon bakery, in Hell's Kitchen. Yes, it's a Greek bakery, and you should try some of their wonderful pastries. But they also make delicious strudels. You can read some reviews here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/poseidon-bakery-new-York

I'm not a big shoe shopper, but my go-to place is DSW on 14th Street. Take any subway downtown to Union Square. You can't miss the place - directly across from the park.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM
  10. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

If/Then is the ONLY thing that I will 100% be sure that I do while I'm in the city! I love the cast recording, and Idina, and LaChanze... I'll be like a kid in a candy store!

11. Skittl1321

I got a "send a friend or come see us again" code if anyone wants to buy tickets for If/Then. Use IFTHX1 for "up to 40% off". Also try THM1, that is theatremania's code for $97/$107 orchestra/mezzanine seats (weekday/weekend) or $57 for rear mezzanine.

Stephanie Klemons played Anne at the performance I saw. Perhaps it was the same. I thought she did a great job.
    In my write up, I didn't mention how fabulous LaChanze was. It was a treat to see her as well.

You are going to be blown away. They were SO much better than the recording. Every single person on that stage was amazing.

For Marge's bucket list:
    I had to go to CVS to buy some moleskin (my work shoes are tearing up my heels), and asked the guy at CVS if there was a good sandwich shop nearby. He recommended McDonalds. Not sure if you've been before, but apparently that's the place to go near Columbus Circle. (I did not take his recommendation...)

Marge_Simpson and JeffClair1979 like this.
  12. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Thanks Marge! I'll check out Poseidon and maybe DSW!

13. Skittl1321

I saw "it's only a play" in previews last night. My ticket was $72 before fees, and I'm glad I didn't pay more.

There were lots of laughs, lots, but it certainly wasn't the greatest play I've seen (I didn't think it was that much better than some very well done high school productions. I could actually see specific kids doing the roles very well, just tickets would cost a lot less...)

It is very current, so probably a lot would be lost on anyone who doesn't know the big names associated with NY theatre and Hollywood right now (including non actors).

Nathan Lane, F. Murray Abraham, and Rupert Grint were phenomenal. I was so impressed by Micah Stock (what a cast to be in your broadway debut with).

Matthew Broderick and Megan Mullally need to project their voices. I could make out what they were saying 99% of the time, but up in the cheap seats there was a lot of intermission talk by older theatre goers that they couldn't hear them.

stockard Channing was out. Her understudy, Isabel Keating, did very well with the role,
    but I felt was too young for the part. (Has been actress crawling back to broadway).

The Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre was beautiful. I was in the last row of the first mezzanine (perhaps there is another? Stairs were roped off.) In the second right most seat and could see perfectly. Plus, I was first to the bathroom. There are a number of steep stairs to the mezzanine though. People were huffing and puffing getting up there. The whining was kind of funny.

I'm sure the show will get rave reviews and I'd recommend it if you really like plays and are curious about the cast, but for me, it isn't a must see.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Bagels are just so much better in NY than anywhere else, but midtown, I like Ess A Bagel 831 3rd ave between 50th and 51st.
    Two of my NY friends buy shoes here: http://www.c21stores.com/shoes There is one on Bway around 66th or 67th, but the original is on Cortlandt street downtown.

15. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

A friend suggested going to Sugar Factory for our birthdays tonight (mine is today, his is tomorrow). I'd never heard of it before but the drink menu, and really everything else, looks and sounds incredible. From the looks of it, it's a bit of a celeb hotspot too. Will report back later :)
    http://sugarfactory.com/new-york-citys-meatpacking-district-0

16. Skittl1321

I got a bagel at 'wichcraft Lincoln Center today and it tasted just like most every bagel I've had in Texas and Iowa :) (A few places make them too bready- but those aren't real bagels, in my opinion, they are rolls with holes in the middle.)

I wish I had time to seek out a great bagel place, since I know there are some with truly fabulous bagels, but I have to get to work early, so I just went to what was nearby.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Here in the MD burbs, there are less than 5 places I know of that make chewy NY style bagels - and 2-3 of them fly them in from NY. Most bagels here are bready rolls with a whole in the middle.

18. Marge_Simpson

Kossar's on the LES has really good bagels.

http://kossarsbialys.com/

Yes, they are known for their bialys, but they do a really mean bagel, too. And as a bonus, the Doughnut Plant is next door, the Pickle Guys are across the street, and Economy Candy is a 5 minute walk away.

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I never understood why people made such a big deal out of bagels, until I moved into this area. Now I know.

20. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad bagel in Manhattan. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but from my experience, even the coffee cart bagels are awesome. And I lived there for 2 years. That's a lot of bagel-ing!

21. Skittl1321

I got a coffee cart bagel too. It was good, and cheaper, but I prefer toasted.

I lotteried Kinky Boots tickets last night. Everyone who entered got tickets. Some of the seats weren't fabulous (back of boxes) but mine were amazing. On the second row of the right box right at the railing. Amazing view, especially for $37. And great show. The costumes, especially the boots, were phenomenal.

22. Marge_Simpson

"Bedbugs!!!" was absolutely hysterical and everyone in NYC should see it.
    Here is the NY Times review:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/theater/bedbugs-the-musical-is-at-the-arclight-theater.html?_r=0

I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. If you read the review, you will see there is an actor who does a sensational send-up of Celine Dion (Dionne Salon) and another who plays her husband, the wonderfully smarmy Dexter Diabolique. Like me, you'll be howling at the parody but wondering how they connect to the main plot - but all is soon revealed.
    Our programs offered a discount code if you buy tickets at the box office - the code is BiteMeAgain. I don't know if they change the code, so if you want to use it, say you attended the show on the 19th.
    The theatre is small, so you don't need to worry about getting the lower-priced tickets.
    GO SEE THIS!