Out and about in NYC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

barbk, the Neue Galerie is right down the street from the Met; check it out if you like their sort of artwork. Even if you don't want to visit the museum, the Café Sabarsky is a nice (if a bit pricey) place to eat; you'll think you're in a café in Vienna. Info here:
    http://www.neuegalerie.org/

If you're planning to go to the Frick Museum, PM me and I can send you my member's card. ;)

If you'll be here on June 10th, you can check out the Museum Mile Festival - free admission to all the Fifth Avenue museums, and various entertainers up and down the street, Info here:

http://museummilefestival.org/

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marge -- luckily my Denver Art Museum membership level gets me reciprocal privileges with
    Cooper Hewitt Museum (Sad this will still be closed for renovation in June. Hope to see it one day.)
    Dahesh Museum of Art, NYC
    Frick Collection, NYC (I'm hoping Jan van Eyck's Virgin & Child is still on view; we spent a month in my freshman humanities class eons ago studying that and some other works of his and I'd love to see it in real life.)
    Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC
    National Academy Museum, NYC (nothing running on the date's I'm there.)

(I really love the reciprocal privileges -- I've found that even if I only have an hour someplace, I'll pop in and see a bit of a museum I might not otherwise visit, even though I wouldn't have spent $8 or $12 for an entry fee without doing a lot of investigation ahead of time.)

3. Marge_Simpson

The FIT museum's lingerie exhibit looks interesting; I'm planning to visit after it opens (June 3) Admission is free, so have a look if you're in the area:

http://www.fitnyc.edu/museum.asp

Virgin & Child is on view, according to the website:

http://collections.frick.org/view/objects/asitem/items$0040:161

4. Marge_Simpson

barbk, you said your daughter needed something to do while you're browsing through the archives. What about one of Big Onion's walking tours? The Immigrant New York, Gangs of NY and Historic Lower Manhattan tours all start and end close to where you'll be. I've taken most of their tours and enjoyed all of them. The website lets you reserve in advance, but you can just show up at the designated time and place. You can check the schedule here:

http://www.bigonion.com/

5. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Yes- I'll be volunteering again. I'll probably be situated at 72nd Street- but I may float around a bit (Ouch- I just re-read that- no pun intended!). The current status of the locations:

Pier 40 (at the end of Hudson Street): opened last weekend
    Pier 26, just north of Moore Street, will be open when all certificates/permits are in order
    Governor's Island: Opens June 7
    Pier 96 (at 56th Street) opens this weekend, (and will be open on Monday, Memorial Day)
    72nd Street: opens next weekend.

I'm not sure when/if I'll be down there this weekend (laundry's gotta get done sometime!).

Oh- and as for movies in Bryant Park- I'd definitely be up for a picnic. Any particular film you fancy?

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Well, dang. I want to take that Central Park tour offered right when I'll be dug in at the City Archives. Just read Death Angel by Linda Fairstein, and while it wasn't her best as a mystery, she wove in lots of details about the history of Central Park that I'd never known. Hmmmm....

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

For musicals, I can't say enough good things about A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder. It was an absolute riot. Very old-school, and a completely ridiculous plot, but exceptional in the music, performance, and production. We were there in April when they were only selling 1/2 the house on any given night so were able to get primo same-day seats at bargain-basement prices; I'm not sure what the houses will be like in June.

For the Tenement Museum, we did "Hard Times," the 2-hr version with the extended discussion (at no extra cost). The guide was a little too used to aiming her talk at students, but other than that it was excellent, partly because we had a really diverse group in the tour with great discussion. If you're going on a Saturday, be sure to book in advance -- they usually sell out on the weekends. (Oh, and there's a fabulous Thai restaurant on the next block with great lunch specials. :D )

8. Marge_Simpson

I have a terrific winebar/restaurant to recommend, Riposo 46, in Hell's Kitchen.

http://www.riposonyc.com/

A coworker had raved about it, so I stopped by early this evening, just intending to have a glass of wine. But after seeing the delicious food coming out of the kitchen, I stayed for dinner. The Margherita flatbread was fab. 2 ladies sitting next to me ordered the chef's cheese plate, which looked divine - what seemed like a pound of various cheeses, fruit, walnuts and plenty of bread.
    It's rather small but w/ a v. nice vibe, good wine list (generous pours!) and friendly bartenders. So check it out if you're in the neighborhood.

kedrin, I probably won't be able to get an evening off in June, but any of the movies in July or August would be fine. Except Blazing Saddles, which I think is lame.
    I'm off next Sunday (June 1st) will you be volunteering then? (I'm actually off on Friday and Saturday too, but I've got ballet on both evenings. If I fall into the Hudson I won't be fit to attend, so Sunday would be best for my maiden voyage.

edited to add: I was at Lincoln Center yesterday, and the Wafels and Dinges truck is indeed there - parked at Broadway and 68th, right by the century 21 store.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  9. Marge_Simpson

So, Sunday afternoon I was prowling around in the Village, and have yet another place to recommend, Molly's Cupcakes:
    http://www.mollyscupcakes.com/ny/home.aspx
    IMO they are even better than Magnolia Bakery. The coconut macadamia was awesome, filled with the most yummy coconut custard. The coffee was pretty nice, too.

On a totally different note, I strolled through Washington Square Park, I hadn't been there in quite a while. What happened to the drug dealers, have they relocated? In the eighties, if you wanted to buy pot, you walked into the park at the northwest corner, where there'd be a bunch of shady looking guys hissing, "sense, sense, sense" as you walked by. If you wanted to buy, you put out your hand, palm up, with your five dollar bill folded up, and someone would simultaneously scoop up your five and drop your nickel bag in your palm. Not that I would know this from personal experience, of course.
    ;)

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

You need to come to Colorado. We even have strain reviews linked on the front page of the Denver Post website these days: http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/05/...w-strain-theory-sativa-dominant-hybrid/12420/

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

D and I should get to our hotel (on West 44th between 8th & 9th Avenues) about 7pm on Thursday. Any suggestions for something to do Thursday evening? (We're seeing a Broadway show Friday night - A gentleman's guide looked great but the tickets were too pricey, but I glommed Kinky Boots tickets instead.)

12. Marge_Simpson

This Thursday?
    NYC Ballet is doing "Midsummer Night's Dream" which I think you'd enjoy, even if you've never seen a ballet before. ABT's doing "Manon" but I wouldn't send anyone to that unless they're a hardcore ballet buff.
    What about "Phantom of the Opera"? Even if you've seen it before, it's great entertainment, and you shouldn't have any trouble picking up half price tickets at the TKTS booth.

Much Ado About Nothing starts this week at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park. You won't get in early enough to get up there and wait in line for tickets, but you can register on the website and get in the lottery for avoiding the line. Try putting your name in on Wednesday, and you can check Thursday morning to see if you won tickets. Then you can just go to the ticket window outside the theatre right before 8 PM.
    I've been really lucky with the ticket lottery in the past.

Or you could just walk over to 9th Avenue and have a nice dinner, then a leisurely stroll up Broadway to the Wafels and Dinges truck. :)

I didn't know pot was legal in Colorado. I haven't smoked in around 25 years, but maybe I should visit and take a trip (hehe) down memory lane......

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marge. Yup, this Thursday.

Next question: On Monday, we have to take the train (LIRR) from Penn Station to Stony Brook, and the suggested routing on the MTA trip-planner involves a six minute connection at Huntington Station to the Port Jefferson train. We'll each have a suitcase. Is this connection really doable?

14. Marge_Simpson

Yes, you should be fine - there are only 2 platforms at that station, one eastbound, the other west.

15. Marge_Simpson

barbk, hope you are enjoying your visit!
    I was at Lincoln Center last night for the ballet, and afterwards encountered the most awesome thing. There were 5 guys out on the plaza with telescopes and quite a few people gathered around. Due to my nosy nature, I approached them to ask what was up. The telescopes were trained on the moon, Mars, and Saturn, and everyone was welcome to have a look.
    I saw the rings of Saturn! It kind of boggled my mind.
    The guys are at the HighLine every Tuesday evening, unless it's very cloudy or raining. So if you don't get over to LC, you can check out the planets there. (And you should check out the HighLine anyhow, because it's lovely)
    Info here:

http://www.thehighline.org/events/all

The lingerie exhibit currently on display at FIT is fantastic (and free!) If you have any interest at all in fashion, you need to have a look. I was most fascinated with the petticoats and corsets from the 1800's - the detail and decoration is exquisite, and all done by hand. Some photos from the exhibit:

http://www.fitnyc.edu/22239.asp

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

You shoulda gone in April! I was there in mid-April and the houses were only half selling for Gentleman's Guide, so we got mid-orchestra-level tickets for $25 just by showing up at the box office a couple of hours before curtain.

No doubt with all the Tony noms the ticket sales are up now -- but it's a fantastic show, worth full price IMO.

17. Marge_Simpson

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  18. Marge_Simpson

Has anyone done an interactive mystery? My coworker suggested the Lombardi Case as a group outing, but we're undecided. If you've tried this kind of thing, how was it? Info here:

http://liveintheater.com/show.php?id=2

The Classical Theatre of NY's production of "As You Like It" moves to Brooklyn's Prospect Park this week, then moves to Battery Park. I saw them last week in Central Park and it was great fun. The actors are all excellent, and it was very atmospheric, sitting among the trees, while watching a play that takes place in a forest.
    Bring a towel to sit on if you go. Info here:

http://www.newyorkclassical.org/whats-playing

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  19. Marge_Simpson

The Lombardi Case (see link in my previous post) was a BLAST, and if you want something fun and different to do, go order tickets now, as this particular case has only 3 more shows. (Check Goldstar as we did; we got nearly 50% off the regular price)
    The thing starts off at Arlene's Grocery on Stanton Street, which is not a grocery store but a bar. I don't know what it's like in the evening - probably packed with hipsters - but at 2PM they were playing oldies, the bar staff were super friendly, and there was a very nice, laid back vibe.
    You're greeted by a cop (an actor, not a real one ;)) and taken downstairs to the "briefing room" where you all become new police recruits, and get divided into groups of 7 or 8. The "chief" comes in and tells you details about the case and hands out maps and photos of suspects, and there's a good bit of interactive fun between him and the recruits as you take notes. The groups are sent out into the LES several minutes apart, you follow the map and try to find the characters you need to interview to try and solve the case. In this particular case, we needed to find the janitor of the building where the body was found, the victim's brother (who was not quite right in the head), Monica (aka Trixie Pops, a junkie hooker) Vinnie the drag queen, and a busybody alcoholic who knows everyone in the neighborhood. They were easy enough to find, as they all made themselves known to the groups in one way or another. While crossing a street, 2 of the ladies in our group and I got stuck at a red light, while the others crossed. While waiting for the light to change, we saw a seedy looking guy staggering around and thought he was the busybody guy we were supposed to find. Alas! We spent 10 minutes trying to question the local drunk, and then we couldn't find our group again as we didn't have the map. We had to run back to the bar to get directions. The guys back at the bar laughed and said it happened before - groups interviewing random people on the street- and pointed us down the right street.
    You're given a time to be back at headquarters and then the groups assemble and try to figure out who did it, then the captain brings all the suspects in and each group can ask 3 questions of any of the suspects. There's a big spectacle when the killer is revealed - I won't spoil it, in case anyone decides to go! We had 4 groups altogether, 3 groups (including mine) thought the same person was the killer, but we were wrong. Only one of the groups guessed right.
    The actors are all fantastic, especially Trixie Pops and Vinnie the drag queen. Vinnie was standing on his corner, catcalling to various guys walking by. You could tell who was a native New Yorker (they ignored him) and who was a tourist (they looked freaked out and crossed the street!) Trixie was such a convincing spaced-out junkie, a young couple passing by was about to call an ambulance for her until we explained we were all part of an interactive mystery.
    All in all, this was a hoot!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  20. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

marge you continue to amaze me with all you find in the city!! love living vicariously through you there!

21. Marge_Simpson

Several ago I was at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument; I went up there to see Hudson Warehouse's production of "King John". The actors were all great, but "King John" was a snooze, quite honestly.
    However, before the play started I went to check out our famous statue of Joan of Arc, which is nearby.....I knew it was there but I'd never had a look.
    Anyway, here is a rather humorous article about the statue's history:

http://newyorkcitystatues.com/joan-of-arc/

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I had a fantastic time in NYC. Thanks to all who made such great suggestions; I wish we could have done more.

MargeSimpson -- I've got your membership card and need to return it to you -- would you pm your address information?

I'm looking forward to another trip in a year or so.

23. Marge_Simpson

24. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    If I were in NYC I would definitely be there!

26. Marge_Simpson

27. Marge_Simpson

If you loved the "Madeline" books when you were a kid, or you like Bemelman's artwork, you MUST check out the Madeline exhibit at the NY Historical Society - it's wonderful. Info here:

http://www.nyhistory.org/exhibitions/madeline-new-York

I have a coupon for a free child's admission - if you want it, PM me with your address, and I'll pop it in the mail.

28. Marge_Simpson

29. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I'll be in the city this Saturday, visiting my cousin's oldest daughter. She lives and works there now, so she probably knows what's going on there, but I thought I would ask if anyone has suggestions for things to do. Most important is to hang out, and we'll have lunch or maybe an early dinner, maybe walk around Central Park and get cupcakes at Sprinkles. Any suggestions?

30. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I liked walking the High Line, if you haven't been. It's elevated, so you're off the street, and get some different views of the surrounding buildings. It's about 20 blocks if you walk it from end to end; but there are some entrances at the major cross streets so you can enter in the middle if convenient.