Out and about in NYC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Dec 2, 2012.

1. KCC

KCC Active Member

My sister, nephew and his wife, and I are coming to NYC in early March - yea! I would like to go to a comedy club, but not if they are real raunchy. (We are not prudes, but I really don't want to hear a long string of F-bombs and dirty humor for an entire hour.) Looking at the Citizens Brigade in Chelsea. Anyone know if the shows are generally rated PG, R, or worse?

Thanks for all the info on different activities! This thread is extremely helpful!

2. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

3. KCC

KCC Active Member

Bumping this up because I will be making reservations for the comedy club fairly soon. Is the best option to just call the club and ask about how raunchy the particular performers for that night get? Gotham seems to alert you if the show is "dirty" (their words), but the others don't say much.

Also, the ticket prices are pretty low, but they all have a 2-drink minimum (for a 1-hour show?). How does that work? Just buy small drinks/shots?

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I went there on my last NYC trip, on a Sunday night for their improv show. Amy Poehler et al. Very cool. There was the odd bit of PG content but it was clever rather than gratuitous, definitely not OTT.

For their standup shows it would depend on the comedian I guess. I find that checking YouTube clips for a particular artist gives me a good sense of their style.

5. KCC

KCC Active Member

Artemis, Thanks for the response! Do you recall how the drinks were done? Mostly looking for budgeting purposes, since I am paying for most activities on this trip, for four of us. Seems like each activity is $100-150 and some days there are 2-3 activities. Might need to spread the wealth.

Also, I heard that the shows were back to back and that people could stay for more than one show. How is seating done, then? I don't want to divide the four of us if possible.

6. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

It was snowing most of the day and I planned to spend my evening doing laundry, but my friend nagged me out of the house to go downtown and get some dinner. So I have a new restaurant to recommend, Eatery, in Hell's Kitchen.
    All the waiters were good looking but much too skinny. Ours was nice enough, though, and recommended the ricotta meatloaf to my friend. That sounded boring, but it came with roasted tomatoes and parmesan sauce, my friend was nearly in ecstasy over it. I had the Mac and Jack, which sounded equally boring to her, but I think I've already mentioned that M&C is like an exotic treat to me. :lol: It was yummy, as was the flourless chocolate cake with walnut ice cream.
    The drinks were good but not very strong; I actually swilled 3 mojitos and didn't need to clutch the table for support when I got up to leave.

http://www.eaterynyc.com/Home_Page.html

Once I had 2 mojitos with dinner at Empanada Mama; their drinks are rather strong. This was a colossal mistake because I was headed to the ballet afterwards and alcohol tends to make me very happy. By the time I walked up to Lincoln Center I was finding everything hilarious and therefore spent the first act watching on the monitor in the lobby. I did not want to get evicted for breaking out into hysterical laughter.

7. Marge_Simpson

8. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm going to NYC for a 2-day conference in May and OF COURSE I'm going to stay a week and check out ALL THE MUSEUMS! :cheer2: I haven't been in years, and I've never been to NYC without a relative dragging me around.

Alf has a friend who lives in Manhattan, pretty close to a subway station so I was either going to stay with him (Alf isn't sure if he's coming) or Airbnb it. The conference is at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge which is $470 a night so hell no. :lol:

I am sad that the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum is closed for renovations until sometime-in-2014-probably-December. :wuzrobbed:

I'm definitely going to hit up the Guggenheim, MOMA, MAD, God what else is there?!

And of course, I'll be going through this thread, but I'm afraid Marge has listed so many yummy food places that I can't hit them all! Man I wish I could though!

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

What type of museum do you like in your museum? Art, or history, or etc?

10. Anita18

There's a decided lack of design museums in LA, so I was gonna try to hit up some in NYC. (Hence my sadness at the Cooper-Hewitt being closed for renovation.) But I'm really open to anything, maybe less history unless it's got some art attached to it. The Tenement Museum actually sounds pretty interesting, I'll have to check that out.

Are there any cool science museums with things I can play with? My sister and I are like little kids at SF's Exploratorium. :)

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

That's the one I was going to suggest! If you're going to see one historical museum in NY, make it the Tenement Museum.

12. Marge_Simpson

Ice sculptures for Valentine's Day! If you're going to be in lower Manhattan on the 13th or 14th, check these guys out. I saw them when they did a demo in midtown and was totally fascinated. Info here:

http://brookfieldplaceny.com/IHeartIce

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

(sorry for the delay, I forgot about this thread!)

It was rush seating. We went to the earlier show and didn't stay for the later one -- I'm guessing you could do the coat-on-chair thing to reserve seats if they kick you out between shows, but it was a very casual atmosphere so I wouldn't be surprised if they just let you hang out between shows if you have tickets for the second.

IIRC, drinks weren't too pricey, but also pretty unremarkable -- I seem to recall some very pedestrian beers, so I didn't bother. But them I'm very fussy with my beers: I only like craft beer, and I don't do lager. There was probably wine too, maybe highballs as well. Not a fancy cocktail place.

14. Marge_Simpson

I think I've mentioned that I'm nosy by nature. :lol: So, I was in the East Village, walking down 9th Street, when I spotted what I thought at first was a cat café. I walked in and said "What IS this place?" to the twenty-something guy that let me in.
    It turned out to be an animal shelter, Ollie's Place for cats, which is affiliated with Mighty Mutts.
    I was not looking to adopt a cat (I already own one) and said so straight out, but the guy said I was welcome to walk around and pet the cats - he introduced me to about a dozen of them. What a charming place!
    If you read the reviews below, it seems they are not too anxious to actually find homes for the cats. But everyone who worked there was very friendly, and they said anyone is welcome to drop in and play with the kitties.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/ollies-place-new-york

Why was I in the East Village, you ask? Well, I'd read in TimeOut NY about a group called the Thunderbird American Indian Dancers. My knowledge of Native American culture is pretty woeful, but I love any kind of dancing, so off I went. I was mesmerized. The director of the company, who was a great speaker, introduced each dance and explained about its meaning and what part of the country it came from. they did a round dance where the audience was asked to get up and join the dancers, what fun! At the end the dancers came over to the audience (it's a very small auditorium) and thanked us for coming (!!!) and posed for pictures with the kids that were there.
    They are there this weekend and next, at the Theater for the New City on 1st Ave and East 9th. And the tickets are only $10. So check them out. Info here:

http://www.theaterforthenewcity.net/thunder.htm

Earlier in the evening I ate dinner at Dirt Candy, which I've posted about before. But this place is the bomb, so I'll link to it again. The popcorn pudding was orgasmic.

http://www.dirtcandynyc.com/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  15. Anita18

Planning out my May trip to NYC. All the museum admissions are going to ruin me. :lol: (Of course, I'll be going for MOMA's free Fridays! That's the biggest chunk besides the Tenement Museum.)

I'm planning to stay in Brooklyn, close to the Marriott where the conference is going to be. Any cheap-yet-yummy food places I should check out? :)

16. Marge_Simpson

Anita - and anyone else who's interested - the Rubin Museum, which mainly has Himalayan art, is free on Friday evenings. I visited several weeks ago because I had it on my bucket list. That sort of art is not really my thing, but what the hell, it was free, and the café looked interesting.
    When I got there I was peeved to find out the café doesn't serve the regular menu on Friday evenings, but I perked up considerably when I discovered they turn it into a lounge of sorts with a DJ and a special drink menu. Very nice atmosphere in there! It was mainly thirty-somethings, but there were enough people my age that I didn't feel like a dinosaur.
    I looked at the drink menu and thought the "spicy Thai Margarita" sounded interesting. I should have changed my order quickly when the bartender said, "Whoa! I hope you can handle it!"
    I thought that was because he seemed to be sloshing in an awful lot of tequila, but the joke was on me.
    I felt like I'd taken a dose of Pepperup Potion, I was sure I had steam coming out of my ears. That baby was HOT.
    I did the free guided tour; our guide was a charming, chatty guy from Brooklyn who is a neonatologist. He was very enthusiastic but didn't get me fired up about the art; I'm more of an Impressionist sort.
    However, the gift shop is lovely, they also have films on Friday, and I will definitely visit the Friday lounge again. (Although I will not order any drink with the word "spicy" in the description)

http://www.rubinmuseum.org/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  17. Marge_Simpson

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

19. Marge_Simpson

I will be in Vegas this weekend, :mad:
    Maybe they will get a really positive response and stay open longer?

20. Marge_Simpson

Schedules are up for all the free Shakespeare (in both parks and parking lots) this summer!

The Drilling Company aka Shakespeare in the Parking Lot) is doing Twelfth Night and Othello on the LES, and this year they are doing Hamlet in Bryant Park. Info here:
    http://shakespeareintheparkinglot.com/

NY Classical Theatre does their shows at CPW and 103rd Street, and also down at Battery Park; they're doing As You Like It. They do "moveable theatre" ie every few scenes the actors move to another part of the park and the audience moves with them. So bring a blanket or towel to sit on. Info here:
    http://www.newyorkclassical.org/whats-playing

Hudson Warehouse performs at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument at 89th Street and RSD, a really beautiful spot. They'll be doing King John, The Winter's Tale, and The Importance of Being Earnest. Info here:
    http://www.hudsonwarehouse.net/now.html

Shakespeare in the Park (Delacorte Theatre in Central Park) is doing Much Ado About Nothing and King Lear. You can register on their website to get tickets without having to wait in line; I've been very lucky with this in the past. Info here:
    http://publictheater.org/en/programs--events/shakespeare-in-the-park/?SiteTheme=Shakespeare

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  21. Marge_Simpson

22. Marge_Simpson

I'm planning to check out the Dance Parade this afternoon, providing the weather cooperates. I've done this in the past and it's great fun.
    Anita, if you're reading this - you said you planned on visiting the Tenement Museum today. The dance parade terminates in Tomkins Square Park, which is walkable from there. It might be up your alley.
    Don't forget to check out Economy Candy (on Rivington Street, 5 minutes walk from the museum) and the Doughnut Plant (on Grand, also a few minutes walk) It can be tricky to find your way around on the Lower East Side as the streets all have names and not numbers, but the museum staff can point you in the right direction.
    http://danceparade.org/wp/

The schedule is up for the free films in Bryant Park. Does anyone want to do a picnic in the park? Let me know what evening you're interested in, and I can request the time off work (I work evenings) or call in sick. :lol:

http://www.bryantpark.org/plan-your-visit/filmfestival.html

23. Marge_Simpson

Kedrin, are you still volunteering with the kayak people again this summer?
    I PROMISE I will try it this year, and you can all abuse me and say how untrustworthy I am if I back out.

24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm meeting my daughter in Manhattan in a couple of weeks, Thursday evening - Monday morning. Has anyone been to the new Charles James (Costume Institute) exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum? Did you like it? Do I need a separate admission of some kind? (My local art museum has reciprocal privileges, so I don't pay the regular entrance fee, but it doesn't cover specials.)

Any of you seen Kinky Boots? We'd like to do at least one musical. Anything better?

Anyone been to the City Archives on Chambers Street to look for old birth or death records? Any suggestions on that?

Planning to visit the Tenement Museum on Saturday -- the two tours that look most interesting are Shop Life and Irish Outsiders. Thoughts?

She wants to have a waffle from Wafels & Dinges. Their website shows a picture of Central Park, but that's huge -- how do you know where in the park to look?

Is the week-long travel pass on the MTA probably the best arrangement? Or is there some hop-on, hop-off bus that would be better?

Mucho thanks. (D has never been to NYC, so we're mostly doing very touristy things. Not sure what she'll do while I'm spending the morning at the City Archives, but we'll figure that out.)

25. Anita18

I walked quickly through the Met Museum the last day of my NY Pass, and happened to walk through the Charles James exhibit. No special admission needed. As someone who doesn't normally have an interest in fashion, it was tremendously fascinating. And the dresses were GORGEOUS! They don't make them like that anymore! If you do have an interest in fashion, you MUST go! The room is darkened and they have focused lights and a screen set up at every gown's station. The screens tell you about the architecture of each dress and the lights show you exactly where on the dress they're talking about, in real-time. Truly fascinating stuff.

The Met, as Marge_Simpson and my cousin kept reminding me, is pay-what-you-want. My cousin has given a dollar and gotten dirty looks, but she's done it. :lol: I got an NY Pass so it was "free."

Went to the Tenement Museum on my very last day in NYC, which isn't part of the NY Pass program. I went to the Irish Outsiders tour. The guide was very enthusiastic, which was probably the best part of the tour, honestly. He had some NY Irish history himself on the Lower East Side, so he brought some of himself into the proceedings. The tour inside was shorter than I'd expected, but the guide was very engaging and we got a very good idea of what it was like to live in the apartment back then. I got the feeling that many people who worked at the museum had family history with area, which brings a lot of authenticity.

I just came back from my week in NYC, my first time EVER being in the city by myself. You must, must, MUST have a week-long MTA subway pass. It gives you unlimited rides on all subways and all MTA buses. If you take 2 rides a day for those 7 days, it will pay for itself. For you, it would have to be 6 rides a day and that may be asking too much unless you really run around. But you do get a discount if you add more than $5 to your MetroCard, so at least think about doing that. More info here: http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

I easily took 3 rides per day, and was thankful for it my first day, because I got on the wrong platform 3x and it was no hardship to simply get back on. :lol: Also, JFK's AirTrain system requires buying a different MetroCard, which I WISH I knew before trying to rush somewhere right after I landed! :mad:

Another must - a smartphone and the HopStop app (and Google Maps). I had to learn on my own that you have to be on the right platform and ignore what the train says beyond the letter/number. Manhattan/Bronx/Uptown = north. Brooklyn/Coney Island/Rockaways/Downtown = south. Know that, know the direction of where you're going and you should be good. The transit apps will tell you which line to take. I have NO IDEA how I would have survived the subway system without the HopStop app. Although it wasn't as good for walking, which is where Google Maps came in.

If you're mostly doing touristy things, I also recommend the NY Pass. There are a ton of museums and attractions on it, and you get free admission and sometimes a fast lane through the ticketing line. I was there 7 days, but got the 5-day pass and went to non-pass things the other 2 days. I went to a few things I wouldn't have gone to if I hadn't had the pass, such as Top of the Rock and Madame Tussaud's. There's a 3-day pass option, which might be good for you. But if the trip is coming up soon, you'd have to pick it up at a predesignated location in NYC.

Another thing I would recommend is the Ai Wei Wei exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. (The NY Pass covered the general admission, but not the Ai Wei Wei exhibit, so I still had to pay $15 for it.) My cousin who lives in Manhattan had no idea there was even a museum in Brooklyn! :lol: But it's awesome.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks, Anita. This is perfect!

I was going to look for an app; HopStop sounds just like what I need.

27. Marge_Simpson

I've done every tour in the Tenement Museum except for "Shop Life";my favorite one is "Getting By" but all of them are good.
    The Victoria Confino tour is really aimed at kids, though.
    If you want free admission to the museum, I suggest you PM Anita and give her your address, as she is currently in possession of my member's card. She was going to mail it back to me, but she can mail it to you instead.:)

I haven't seen the James exhibit yet but I'm planning to, I will report back. There's no separate admission for it. If you like fashion, you can also see what's on at the FIT museum; there's no admission charge for their exhibits.

I will keep my eyes peeled for the Wafels truck, they used to be at Columbus Circle but theymust have relocated. If you find them, the "throwdown" waffle is a must!

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Haven't been to the Charles James exhibit, but I have been to their other ones (Punk, Schaparelli, etc). It's not an extra admission, but there can be a line for special exhibits, so you might have some wait time.

Wafels & Dinges is a truck. They have more than one, and there's usually one parked at Astor Place by the 6 train stop near NYU, and another at Lincoln Center. The Central Park one is by the Great Lawn, IIRC. They have a full schedule at their website: http://www.wafelsanddinges.com/trucks/print_schedule.php (PDF). I like the Nutella ones :). (for more dessert info, um, I'm sure Marge & I can be of help :shuffle:)

I definitely recommend the week long pass. It will pay for itself in a day or two. Since you're there on the weekend, be aware that the schedules can change as repair work is done on the tracks during nights and weekends, so keep it in mind while traveling. As scary as the subway might seem to some, it's really the best way to get around in Manhattan. HopStop is a great suggestion, and you can check for weekend/night closures at mta.info

I haven't seen Kinky Boots, but those I know who have loved it. From the current ones out, I've seen Matilda, Newsies, Once, Book of Mormon, Wicked, If/Then, Jersey Boys and Phantom. I liked all of them except If/Then which is forgettable except for Idina. If you go the TKTS booth route, the Brooklyn one has much shorter lines (went there on a weekday during July last year and there was NO line) than Times Square and easy to get to if you take the A/C/F/R/ to Jay Street/Metrotech or the 2/3/4/5 to Borough Hall. It's pretty close to Manhattan.

Enjoy New York! Biased, but it's the best place on Earth ;)

29. Anita18

HopStop is really simple in that it tells you in list form which line to take at which time (and alternative times), and which stops you should be passing on your way. Which was helpful, because one of the times I got mixed up, I realized I was passing the wrong stops. :lol: It also has reports when lines are closed and whatnot. Most of them didn't matter to me, because the construction on the lines was occurring one stop past my home station.

It doesn't always tell you the best alternate lines, though. I was lucky that I stayed very close to a major subway station, so I had quite a number of lines available to me to go home, and HopStop didn't always show them. But eh, just meant another 10 minutes waiting on the platform when I didn't have to.

I found HopStop easier to use for transit than Google Maps, but again, Google Maps was better for walking. And there was that one time where HopStop insisted the only way for me to go to Brooklyn from the 9/11 Memorial was by taxi. Uhh, I don't think so! :lol: Google Maps pulled through for that one. So it would be good to have both!

That card will be like the round robins we used to have for skating tapes! :rofl:

And I am totally not Marge_Simpson's ethnicity, but they don't check ID for it and we figured, it could totally be my married name. :p And even if I were a guy, I could be adopted!

I went to the Met on a late Friday afternoon and it was pretty crowded, but didn't have a super-long wait time for admission or Charles James. I literally just walked into Charles James, not really knowing what it was. There were no pictures allowed, but a lot of people were taking them and it was difficult for museum security to see them because the room was so dark! :lol: I managed to get 2 before I was warned.

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

This is going to be fun!

And thanks, Marge_Simpson -- I've pm'd Anita as you suggested.

My girlfriend has been to a lot of the Costume Institute shows, and has said that they're terrific, so I'm really excited that one is finally open when I'm there.