Oscars Live! From the Red Carpet & Ceremony

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I was laughing at the crude jokes at the beginning, but it quickly fell flat.

My favorite look was Jessica Chastain.

No opinion on the awards, haven't seen a single movie all year!

2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Well I'm not complimentary. I like Obama but I really don't like MO. But that has little to do with it - I thought it was terribly inappropriate & misplaced. What does FLOTUS have to do with the Oscars? It's like when GW Bush & Laura took part in American Idol's Idol Gives Back night. Attention hogs who grab the limelight in things that they had no input in give me a pain.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

God forbid!

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Had Argo been undeserving of the honor, I would say it won just to get back at the Academy. However, long before any nominations (including GG) came out, I had seen Argo and I really liked it. I was able to compare it with most of the other good movies and came to the conclusion that I liked it better than Lincoln, SLP, Life of Pi, and later ZD30 (after it was finally released).

What I really liked about Argo was - 1)it created great suspense even though the outcome was known to all, 2)good balance between humor, fear, and other emotions, 3)well paced movie, 4)Tony Mendez's character was well portrayed.

When I saw Lincoln, I thought it would be an instant Oscar favorite. Later I saw Argo and thought that I enjoyed Argo much more.

It was not a coincidence IMO that Argo won so many awards before the Oscars. I am sure some people liked other movies better, but IMO Argo's win is very justifiable, and it can't be a "lets get back at the academy for the Director snub"

I have seen many undeserving movies win the Best Picture. This time there were more than one movies deserving of the honor (Argo, Lincoln, Life of Pi, and Zero Dark 30, IMO) and any of them would have been worthy of the BP award. However, I liked Argo the best. I am sure many voters felt the same way.

6. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Shakespeare in Love anyone?

7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Did Michelle ask the Oscars host to put her on the show or did he ask her to participate in it? I suspect it was the latter. You can't call her attention hog for it. Whether you like her or not, she is our first lady and she has not done anything to embarrass herself. She has handled her responsibilities well. Actually I have not seen even one first lady that did not handle her role well. The visibility comes with the territory, and you can't criticize HER for the invitation. I agree with the poster that wrote that it seemed contrived and there was no need for it. if anyone deserves criticism for it, is whoever asked her to do that part.

8. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Even having read quotes from the "presser" previously I was still falling down laughing watching her. (See Seth, it is all in the delivery.)

As James P. said in his Time Mag review of the show: "She and Adele share that rare, disarming gift of making the world feel delighted for their own wild good fortune."

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/02/25/american-dud-seth-macfarlanes-awkward-oscars/#ixzz2LvgpMjjF

ETA: JLaw & Nicholson in Good Morning America interview. "You look like an old GF." "Do I look like a new GF?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WJmhsJ5T5L0

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It particularly bothered me that a classic like Saving Private Ryan lost the BP award to a fluff like SIL.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Loved Shakespeare In Love and GOOP. Private Ryan can go watch Crash or Braveheart.

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you, it made me very uncomfortable. She looked lovely, probably more lovely than I've ever seen her. However, I don't think it was appropriate. Not saying she forced herself on the show, but she should have had declined. It felt tacky.

12. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Actually, I remember lots of complaints from the UK and others about the movie "Enigma", which showed Americans cracking the WWll code, instead of the Brits, as actually happened.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Harvey Weinstein

14. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

Her reaction to Jack Nicholson was just priceless. :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

What the camera did not pick up was that she was wearing pale pink and not white

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Many of the dresses looked better under stage lighting than on the red carpet.
    I didn't like the trend toward unkempt/no hairstyles, either.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Jennifer is like everyone's cute, ornery kid sister who is now coming into her own. You can't help but feel affection for her. I do hope that this all wasn't too much too soon. Otoh what if she never wins again? I wonder if she was the life of the "Vanity Fair" party.

19. Norlite

Norlite New Member

20. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Random thoughts:

Anne Hathaway = what Rachel Berry's character is on GLEE (only not as successful as A.H.) Perky, overly earnest, talented, etc.

HATED all the pale dresses that do nothing but wash out the women. Either go classic black, classic white, or a jewel toned IMO

Seth McFarlane = grown-up looking Peter Brady.

Kristen Stewart = Kim Kardashian of the acting world. Insanly popular despite little talent. I had to laugh at those the wrote that she looked like she didn't want to be there. That's her perpetual expression. At least she's consistent.

Hugh Jackman is only getting better looking with age. Swoon!!!

The insertion of musicals like Chicago and Dreamgirls was completely nonsensical. Factor in that the telecast was produced by the people who produced Chicago, and you've got a self-serving, random menagerie of productions that are too recent to be considered classic, but too old to be relevent.

The Jaws play-off music was only funny once. Don't do it again.

Take a cue from "Wedding Crashers" toast rules, "Don't try to be funny. Be Heartfelt". They should ditch presenter "bits" altogether and just say something nice about the category they're presenting and get on with it.

The opening host number should be no longer than 7 minutes tops. That should be a rule going forward.

21. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

:rofl: They tried to sweep away Tarantino, who has just got an award for his Django Unchained screenplay, playing "Gone with the wind" main theme LOL and he went all Whatever no way I´m going to move without finishing my speech HA!

I liked Argo the most (but Haneke´s Amour) of the movies nominated, that I´ve seen, so yeah :cool: Who would have thought Ben "stonedface" Affleck would become such a talented director :eek:

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Re the orchestra: How much does that suck that they had to play in a dingy room in a different building? I hope they were included in the ball afterwards.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts: I hear you about the dresses but I loved Jessica Chastain's "Old Hollywood" look. I thought the color was perfect for her fair skin and red hair.
    Also it was hard watching two fun stars like Rudd and McCarthy crash---I would love to see a film montage of movies or people that had won the award previously and some sort of short explanation. I don't think it should be required that you be funny and maybe the funniest moments are unplanned.

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

From your post I only retained the portion I will comment on.

I liked some of the pale dresses because they were good (Jessica Chastain, for example; Liked only the upper half of JLaw's dress). I am not into classic blacks- it's too monotonous, but they look good, no matter what black dress you wear. I generally prefer seeing all kinds of colors- blue, red, green, yellow, black, white, pink, etc. Most dresses were tastefully done this year.

Kristen Stewart - LOL. I agree with the comment.

Musicals: I actually enjoyed those presentations. They are better than listening to nonsense by presenters, which brings me to your next comment.

ITA that the presenters should just talk about the awards. Trying to be funny usually does not work. It just makes the show long and boring. One pair (I can't remember their names) went on and on and on about nothing in particular. I wanted to SCREAM- Just do it!

ITA about the opening host number too. I still like Billy Crystals songs to open the Oscars. Seth's opening number was way too long. It was like- can we PLEASE get to the Oscars?

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think either NPH or Tina&Amy should host all award shows from now on.

26. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Amen to that!

27. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Didn't Kristen Stewart cut her foot on glass two days prior? Maybe they doped her up on meds. But still, I've seen a bunch of her interviews and her personality isn't as press friendly as Jennifer Lawrence's. It also probably is dawning on her that now Twilight's over, her career is kind of hit a fork in the road. Snow White and the Huntsman did fine in the Box Office but who knows if she'll be back for the sequel, and she was banking on On the Road to get her a few award nominations but that got mixed reviews at best. She's probably wondering if she'll ever get to go to the show as something other than a presenter or someone's date.

28. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Heck she could have sung the phone book and I would have loved it :) Her voice is still amazing - wow!!!

But I agree - "Diamonds are Forever" would have been awesome!!

29. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Au contraire! The beard (plus the grey hair) make him look like my husband! :)

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I love that movie and thought it deserved the win (less so GOOP). Spielberg was rightly rewarded with Best Director that year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.