Oscars Live! From the Red Carpet & Ceremony

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Make one for me.

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Jennifer shouldn't worry about being one of those Oscar winners who are out of work the day after the ceremony. She's got three more Hunger Games movies, 1-2 X-Men films and a slew of other Oscar bait films, including TWO more with David O'Russel. It will be a long time before she becomes irreverent to the current movie world. :p ;)

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

on kimmel, he went into seth's dressing room at the oscar's and he is a hoarder with a life size michelle kwan cardboard figure in full spiral. if i didnt already like him, i'd be legally obligated now.

4. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Well, if it's any consolation, I "hate" the following Best Actress winners:

Julia Roberts -won for a Lifetime Movie of the Week and has no range. She has actually managed to be unconvincing at portraying herself

Sandra Bullock -won for an even worse Lifetime Movie of the Week and has no range

Gwenyth Paltrow -although she has some talent, she was the weakest of the nominees in the year she won, constantly puts down her home country, named her child after a fruit, made comments like " I was sitting in front of my wood burning stove ,when I realized I hadn't thought of dessert " and " I would rather die than let my children eat cup of Noodle soup" ... the list goes on.

I admit that ( especially compared to those three) Jennifer Lawrence is a solid actress; I don't think she was really the strongest in this field, but I wasn't crazy about Jessica Chastain either. I just found her speech to be very cringeworthy/awkward and contrived , as in ,worse than Anne Hathaway's GG and Halle Berry's Oscar combined. I will admit, however, that tripping up the stage was one of those caught off guard endearing moments. I have liked her in some movies, and she wasn't bad in SLP. Maybe she'll grow on me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I wouldn't have minded. Laura was okay and First Ladies are supposed to be neutral, picking causes like getting kids to read or childhood obesity, etc. that we can all get behind. Of course, it would have reminded me that Bush was in office but my annoyance over that was fairly constant for 8 years so I got use to it. :lol:

Now, I just adore Michelle, more than Hillary when she was FL, so I wouldn't have been as super excited to see Laura as I was to see Michelle. But I wouldn't have snarked like I would have over Nancy Reagan who I could. not. stand.

I don't think having the FL on such an event is inappropriate. Having the POTUS would be.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I liked JLaw better in other movies. It was ridiculous that she won against 3 of those actresses who were better (not counting Wallis because I have not seen the movie). It was not a surprise though, since she won the SAG and the GG (comedy), just like Paltrow who also won against stronger performances. It was not as bad as Sandra Bullock's win but why can't the academy respect older women who bring depth to their performances? Jennifer could win 5 Oscars at this rate, before she grows old.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. She has no chance of being irrelevant any time in the next decade with all the projects she has lined up.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The highlights of the evening for me were:

Argo won Best Picture -very happy for Ben
    Ang Lee won Best Director (I was OK with Spielberg winning it too)- his reaction after each Pi award was wonderful.
    DDL's win- although the most predictable award of the night; totally deserved
    Adele singing 'Skyfall'
    Barbra Streisand singing 'The way we were'
    Catherine Zeta Jones has quite a singing voice! I hated Chicago's win that year, but she was awesome in it.

Looking back, Lee's BD Oscar was justifiable. It was perhaps the most challenging movie to make this year. I had read somewhere that not many thought one could make a movie out of that book.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa √Čpaulement!!!

You nailed it, that's the problem. He is charming, the material is decent but it's the timing.

10. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Michael Ashton is a god in the world of make-up artistry :swoon: :glamor:. I absolutely how he does eyes and lips, as well as creating absolutely flawless skin on his clients. Sheer (no pun intended) perfection :respec:.

Contrast that with Kristin Stewart :yikes: :scream:

FFS, show some pride in your appearance, chickie, especially when you're at the biggest and most-watched awards show on TV! My momma would me bald-headed if I was on camera looking like that. Hell, my hair looks better when I do an early morning run to the store to grab a gallon of milk.

Isn't that how she always looks? :scream:

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Who's family was in the audience? I thought Lincoln didn't have any descendants left?!

12. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

My highlights were:
    Dame Shirley singing :cool:

Ang Lee pulling off the upset for Best Director. IMHO he completely deserved it over Spielberg. I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to pull off the direction of a movie like Life of Pi versus a biopic. It seems as though,despite having two Oscars, this man does not get enough credit for the talent he has.

DDL winning for Lincoln- He really outshone everyone.

Anne Hathaway winning for Supporting- Cringeworthy speeches galore all season long, I liked her performance.

I liked Seth McFarlane's Flying Nun skit. I've seen that show in reruns and it's actually pretty fun. I like Sally Field a lot, although not in Lincoln.

Question: Why were beards on male actors all of a sudden the new trend here ? Everyone looked unshaven and so unkempt; Bradley Cooper ,Jean Dujardin, Ben Affleck, George Clooney, etc.

It aged all of them considerably. Was it an homage to Lincoln?

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

It probably slightly impacted on her speech (in that it seemed to end prematurely), but it was still a good speech all the same. Probably just had less thank you's than it otherwise would have

Video: Jennifer Lawrence - Oscar Win, Hiccup On Way To Collect Award, And Speech

Loved how Jen made light of the fall: "You guys are probably standing up because you feel bad that I fell, and that's really embarassing!"

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Not that I'm bitter or anything, but Ang Lee must be the only director to have won twice yet not have their film win Best Picture.

15. walei

walei Well-Known Member

My highlights were:

Ang Lee's win, wow wasn't expecting that! I also love his reactions to every other award Life of Pi has won. Super stoked this movie came out with 4 wins - the most this year!

Jennifer Lawrence, even though wasn't a huge surprise considering she pretty much swept the award season but I love her personality and attitude. Go JLaw!

Anne Hathaway, again rooting for her because her performance was beyond human but yeah...her speeches... need work.

I wanted to like all the musical performances but the sound was so poor it took out all the enjoyments. The hosting, I thought Seth did the job but the opening wasn't strong as most of the past Oscar hosts. I like it a lot better than all the hates though. For the boobies song the reactions from the actresses in the audience was obviously staged and pre-taped because they all had different hair and different dresses.

As for Argo winning Best Picture... I'm okay with the manufactured tension in the movie because otherwise it'd be a bore, but after reading all the historical inaccuracies of the characters, the development of events, and Ben Affleck's defense towards them I'm okay with his Oscar snub and was hoping it wouldn't win Best Picture. Its win completes the Hollywood circle jerk.

4rkidz and (deleted member) like this.
  16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I don't know anything about his TV shows or movies (cause I hate going to the theater, and wouldn't know who wrote them anyway), and I never even really knew who he was until I saw him on Saturday Night Live, but I thought Seth MacFarlane was a great host. I was laughing the whole time. I thought he was funny. Guess it was just me. :slinkaway

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all the winners.
    I hope voters didn't pick Argo just to get back at the Academy for "snubbing" Affleck. Spite seems like a terrible reason for a movie to win.

18. floskate

floskate Vacant

Wow this show sounds like a trainwreck judging by this thread. Good job I don't have to watch it :lol: but we just had Dame Shirley interviewed on UKTV and she was beside herself with excitement. Loving her stopping the show and upstaging all of Hollywood. 76 years young and still the pipes do not wither. Amazing!! :cheer:

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Nah, they didn't show them leaving Iran using maple leaf parachutes and singing "Oh Canada". ;)

It was about half an hour too long.

If you're going to be consistent about your historical accuracy fetish, then the answer should be no. But I believe no Canadians were besmirched in its production so you might be OK.

Perhaps they're not as insecure about their own national identities.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  20. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

PML that you make it sound like she just waltzed in and decided to present the award by royal decree or something. :lol:

If he didn't have a maple leaf pin on his lapel, it doesn't count!

Looking forward to seeing the highlights tonight at a sensible hour. Hope we get to see the Girl from Tiger Bay! :respec:

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I thought Argo emphasized the CIA's role because 1. it's more entertaining that way (fake movies, fake studios, people masquerading as filmmakers = truth is stranger than fiction) 2. it was based on the Wired article and on Mendez's book, both of which were about that part of the story 3. the Canadians involved got a lot of credit when the events happened, and rightly so - while the CIA's role remained classified for years. So if anything, the Canadian involvement has been given plenty of credit over the years, and Argo just balances things out by focusing on a different part of the narrative ;) After all, there's already been a (TV) movie about the events from a Canadian perspective.

I hate the beard trend for the men, and the dresses this year were very dull. Thank god for Quvenzhané Wallis and her puppy dog purses.

22. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I really liked Argo. I already knew the history, I remember watching the whole thing play out in the news. What I wasn't aware of was the Argo cover story so that was something new for me and I enjoyed it. Maybe because I'm not insecure about my national identity ;) Zero Dark Thirty was the movie that had me rolling my eyes, thought it was as overrated as The Hurt Locker and find Bigelow a bit of a propagandist. Affleck on the other hand did a good job telling the story he wanted to tell. It may not have been the story some people expected or wanted but for the story he chose to tell I give him props for entertaining me.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm happy for Ang Lee. "Pi" was the only Oscar nominated film that I saw this year. Although the film didn't connect with me on an emotional level, the technical feat that Ang pulled off making the film was just too amazing for the Academy members to ignore.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Finally an Academy Award for Haneke. I can't believe none of his previous films got one (although that's probably partly due to the 'one film per country' rule).

Having said that "War Witch" is astounding and I'd have preferred if it had won.

As for all the other awards, who gives a shit it's all crap. :p

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

According to Nikki Finke, it's all decided by spite. Holy cow, that woman is jaded. I guess that's what years of reporting on the entertainment industry can do to a person . . .

26. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

1. I want a "Team Seth" shirt too, please. I thought he was a little rough in the beginning, but not nearly as bad as some of the worst reviews are claiming.

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt and Daniel Radcliffe (who I keep accidentally calling "Daniel Day-Radcliffe" now :rolleyes:) were adorable in that opening dance number.

27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I loved Dame Shirley, but I wish she had sung "Diamonds Are Forever" also.

28. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I totally thought Steven Spielberg was going to get the best director so many years after Saving Private Ryan before Ang Lee would get his second. Interestingly, Spielberg's two nominations since SPR were Munich and Lincoln, where both times he lost to Ang Lee!

Also for Argo, you can call it insecurity or whatever you want, but what irked me the most was that scene when Ben Affleck and the CIA were patting themselves on the back and said "we will let the Canadians take all the credit" meanwhile showing this clip of Canadian government official saying things like how the Canadian Government realized the importance of getting those hostages out and took the initiative of the operation to ensure their safety.

The movie basically said the Canadians were there to help but were ready to kick the 6 Americans out because the Iranians were onto them. Then after the masterful plan of the CIA and Hollywood was successful the Canadians were more than happy to take all the credits.

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My problem with Seth McFarlane is that it became a "showcase" for him, rather than a lead-in for what the emphasis should have been on: the awards and those involved in them.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

he doesnt which is my point. too many sacred cows in that audience. seth should have brought ricky gervais out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.