Oscars Live! From the Red Carpet & Ceremony

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yes, i'd like to go back in time and redo the whole thing. i'd give him a part.

2. bek

bek Guest

I feel bad for Spielberg. It seems like Lincoln got shut out on a lot. Yes Day Lewis one but its Day Lewis.... Anyone could direct him to an oscar..I thought his movie was brilliant though...

3. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Forgot Thunderball by Tom Jones and You Only Live Twice by Nancy Sinatra.

License to Kill by Gladys Knight.

4. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

My highlights of the evening were the wins for Jennifer Lawrence, Anne Hathaway, Ang Lee, Adele (Skyfall), and Daniel Day-Lewis, and the performances of Dame Shirley, Adele, Barbra Streisand, and the Les Miz number.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Spielberg's directing is so versatile. He has directed horror, suspence, drama, sci fi.

6. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

thanks everyone.. pleasant addition to the t.v. viewing (along with marking).. :)

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Eys, but that was long after he was in office, and it still seemed inappropriate IMO. Michelle Obama being inserted into the Best Picture nominee announcement seemed a bit too contrived and pushy. There was absolutely no need for it. Politicians (or their wives, especially one whose spouse is currently in office) have no place in these awards shows, period. That was a total turnoff.

How many of you would be that complimentary if it had been Laura Bush doing that?

8. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:rofl: Jennifer Lawrence's press conference on E!

9. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I was pretty shocked when I read that stat earlier, but Live and Let Die lost to The Way We Were and Nobody Does It Better lost to You Light Up My Life, which were pretty iconic best song winners. Goldfinger inexplicably was not nominated in 1965. As for the other two, I don't think they are in the same league as the others. For Your Eyes Only was nominated (losing to Arthur's Theme) while and Die Another Day wasn't nominated (but probably would have lost to Lose Yourself).

10. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

We'd probably all say really awful things about her because we are all spineless hypocrites.

Or we'd still think it was really random, too. Either one. :p

11. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

LOL :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have an issue with it.

12. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Not sure if I agree.. I think Laura Bush would be complimented.. I think a lot of people liked her.. I enjoyed the involvement of Mrs Obama.. not as good as her mom dance segment but nice to add a bit of dignity to the affair..

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Well A View To Kill by Duran Duran is one of their best hits and I love the song. View To A kIll was not nominated in 85 and the winner was Say you, Say me by Lionel Ritchie for White Nights. To not have A View to Kill nominated is just plain stupid of the academy.

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

What did she say?

15. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I agree with all these.

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

She was getting dumb questions, like what was she thinking when she fell on the stairs. To which she replied "A dirty word. That stars with an F."
    And a different reporter was asking if he felt she has peaked too soon in her career. :rolleyes: Of course her answer was "I hope not."
    Then she out loud wondered if the Academy press rep was setting her up with these dumb questions. :lol:

17. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

among others, there was this gem:
    reporter: "Jennifer, are you afraid that you are peaking too early?"
    Lawrence: "well, now I am."

18. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything disingenuous or insincere about JLaw's speech. She didn't really thank everybody, she didn't do aww shucks, she fell and said this is nuts, peace out y'all; I'm gettin' my crunk on in typical JLaw fashion.

I didn't really want her to win before as I found her performance serviceable but not special, but after her speech I'm glad she did :rofl:

19. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

You know, if I only read Twitter, I'd think that I was the only one who enjoyed Seth tonight. :lol:

Apparently, people really hated that Lincoln joke.:slinkaway

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Love her! Thanks for the details:)

21. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Was upstairs watching the biggies w/my Mom and have caught up w/the three pages that were created while I was up there. :)

I really didn't have a favourite in the Best Actress race, but Jennifer Lawrence has really come across as a very grounded and charming young lady and I *loved* her speech. Although, ITA w/you all, as w/whom it was rushing to help her, she should have stayed down. :D

DDL is such a dorky guy, but he's a funny and obscenely talented dorky guy. :D I would also love to see that version of Lincoln w/Meryl playing the President. If only... Congratulations to him on becoming the first actor to win 3 Best Actor Oscars.

And I am thrilled that Argo won Best Picture!! A shame that Ben had to rush his speech because of the "trying to not go long at Award Shows" stupidity, because just about everyone know they're going to go long. A rant for another time though. Anyway...Really happy for Ben, as it was looking like his career had flat lined for good a few years ago and I've always liked him for some reason, so very happy for him tonight.

And that's another Oscars in the book. I think I can sum up how I felt about the show and Seth this way...

For once since the Cdn Curling Association moved the Championship Final of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts to Prime Time, which is always Oscar Sunday, I was so very, very, very happy they did. I at least had something else to check out inbetween the actual awards being given out and during some of the more awkward and flatter moments. I know there are some out there that were not so lucky.

Of course, things were also made more bearable due to all of you!! I say it every year, but there is nothing like following the Oscars here on FSU. Thanks to one and all for the great snark and posts!! :)

22. my little pony

why? because his family was in the audience?

i'll photoshop us some team seth t shirts tomorrow

23. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I think my girl JLaw's fall threw her off her game, and she prolly didn't give the whole speech she would've.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think it was pretty quintessentially JLaw that she fell, honestly :shuffle: It fits in with her general irreverent attitude and awkwardness :lol:

25. my little pony

i want a gif of her falling and jean and wolverine rushing over

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love this from the red carpet interviews

J-Law would be obsessed with the food :lol:

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

She doesn't usually give long, thought-out speeches. And she says she never really prepares much on the fly. AND I'm guessing for the Oscars, brevity was her best chance at avoiding something like an f-bomb. She probably didn't trust herself, lol!

28. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I was hoping Phoenix would win... :(

29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I saw one posted on Twitter a little while ago but can't find it now. Try Googling it though because I know someone out there made one! :lol:

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl: Love her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.